• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR internal fans

Necril

I am looking to upgrade my AVR in the near future, and have noticed that most (if not all) current gen models have internal fans. It seems to be relatively seldom discussed feature in AVRs, and with most models, general opinion seems to be that the fans are either OFF most of the time, or output very little noise. However, I recently tested a Onlyo TX-RZ50, and noticed that the fan noise during the time the AVR was running a system update was actually fairly loud. I didn't make the purchase based on other reasons beside this, and therefore did no extensive testing, but I would think that the fans kicking in during a quiet moment in a movie would be distracting.

In this regard, I'm interested in general experiences on AVRs manufactured in 2021 or after, as thats what's available on the market. In particular, do the fans ever activate during normal use, can the fans be disabled and if there are models that rely on efficient heatsinks instead of internal fans for cooling. Any input would be appreciated.

OP
N

Necril

What type of external cooling are you using? Does it emmit any noise at all? Also, Denon x3600 seems to have two small fans under a bigger heatsink, while Onkyo RZ50 has a single bigger fan on top of a lighter heatsink. I wonder if it makes difference? Apart from smaller fans generally making less noise.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
never heard a peep from my x3700h, apart from quiet clicks and tocks when the device is getting warmer in use or cooling down some time after shutdown, and these are like one or two pops per power cycle.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What type of external cooling are you using? Does it emmit any noise at all? Also, Denon x3600 seems to have two small fans under a bigger heatsink, while Onkyo RZ50 has a single bigger fan on top of a lighter heatsink. I wonder if it makes difference? Apart from smaller fans generally making less noise.
More often than not, bigger fans are quieter all else being equal, because for the same cfm, larger fans can be run at lower speed. If you are considering external fan cooling and are really concerned about noise, take a look of the Noctua ones, they have a few models that are truly quiet.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What type of external cooling are you using?

So I can keep the sliding doors closed on a mid-century Danish teak sideboard...

120mm 12v PC fan wired to a USB cable and plug (so running at 5V) connected to one of the devices in the sideboard. Not all 12V fans will run at 5V, I had to experiment to find one that did. The fan runs 24/7 and is not audible. It's been running for around 7 years now...

IMG_20230909_133158 (Phone).jpg

ban25

I am looking to upgrade my AVR in the near future, and have noticed that most (if not all) current gen models have internal fans. It seems to be relatively seldom discussed feature in AVRs, and with most models, general opinion seems to be that the fans are either OFF most of the time, or output very little noise. However, I recently tested a Onlyo TX-RZ50, and noticed that the fan noise during the time the AVR was running a system update was actually fairly loud. I didn't make the purchase based on other reasons beside this, and therefore did no extensive testing, but I would think that the fans kicking in during a quiet moment in a movie would be distracting.

In this regard, I'm interested in general experiences on AVRs manufactured in 2021 or after, as thats what's available on the market. In particular, do the fans ever activate during normal use, can the fans be disabled and if there are models that rely on efficient heatsinks instead of internal fans for cooling. Any input would be appreciated.
The Onkyo AVRs run their fans during firmware updates. This is not indicative of actual operation, where the fans are either off or running at very low speed.

OP
N

Necril

Do all AVRs use automated fans, or are there models where the user can manually adjust the operation? Also, are the internal fans typically triggered by temperature, or is their operation determined by a timer or some other measure? I'm trying to figure out if quiet external fan(s) could completely eliminate the risk of internal fans kicking in.

XpanD

Forum Donor
My Marantz SR6013 has a slight whining/whirring/whistling that repeats every few seconds. I don't generally notice it, but when I'm in a quiet room (like at night) it can be pretty annoying, especially with it being a pattern and not a constant sound. It's louder than my PC when it's in idle, though I did build that to be practically inaudible.

(this is in forced ECO mode, fwiw -- running active fronts so I only need power to the rears)

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Do all AVRs use automated fans, or are there models where the user can manually adjust the operation? Also, are the internal fans typically triggered by temperature, or is their operation determined by a timer or some other measure? I'm trying to figure out if quiet external fan(s) could completely eliminate the risk of internal fans kicking in.
I gotta ask, "Where will your AVR be placed? Will it be in an AV cabinet or some other enclosed space? Or, will it be in an open rack? How much space will you provide to the sides and above the AVR? Will it be on a solid manufactured wood shelf or a perforated metal shelf?"

OP
N

Necril

I gotta ask, "Where will your AVR be placed? Will it be in an AV cabinet or some other enclosed space? Or, will it be in an open rack? How much space will you provide to the sides and above the AVR? Will it be on a solid manufactured wood shelf or a perforated metal shelf?"
TV stand thats open from front and back. The cabinet where the AVR will be located has 6 inches or more of open space above, but only and inch or 2 on either side. I'm currently using Denon X3500, but this one does not have internal fans at all, just a big heatsink. Thats why I'm used to AVR being absolutely silent on its own, but I also would not be surprised if this has a negative impact on longevity of the AVRs lifespan. It's powering a 5.2 setup (with active subs) and does get pretty hot at times, but I have not observed any impact on the performance.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
TV stand thats open from front and back. The cabinet where the AVR will be located has 6 inches or more of open space above, but only and inch or 2 on either side. I'm currently using Denon X3500, but this one does not have internal fans at all, just a big heatsink. Thats why I'm used to AVR being absolutely silent on its own, but I also would not be surprised if this has a negative impact on longevity of the AVRs lifespan. It's powering a 5.2 setup (with active subs) and does get pretty hot at times, but I have not observed any impact on the performance.
Just asking to see if you can provide the suggested clearances for a new AVR. That might reduce on time for the fan.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can always add one or more undervolted PC fans behind the unit to ensure a steady flow of air is drawn over the AVR. I believe there are off-the shelf solutions for this if you don't fancy a bit of DIY.

ban25

Honestly, the only AVRs with a noted "fan problem" are from Anthem. This is not something to worry about -- and BTW, your 3500 does have fans, they just rarely if ever engage, like most AVRs.

OP
N

Necril

Honestly, the only AVRs with a noted "fan problem" are from Anthem. This is not something to worry about -- and BTW, your 3500 does have fans, they just rarely if ever engage, like most AVRs.
Interesting, thats good to know. The 3500 fans are not visible from above, and I was not able to find any information on the subject, hence the assumption.

You mentioned before that the Onkyo AVRs run the fans during system updates, but are otherwise off most of the time? Is the fan operation otherwise similar to denon models, or are there known differences in how frequently the fans are active?

ban25

Interesting, thats good to know. The 3500 fans are not visible from above, and I was not able to find any information on the subject, hence the assumption.

You mentioned before that the Onkyo AVRs run the fans during system updates, but are otherwise off most of the time? Is the fan operation otherwise similar to denon models, or are there known differences in how frequently the fans are active?
The RZ70 will generally run 1 fan over the HDMI board at low RPM, which is not audible, and will temporarily run both fans at full speed for approximately 1-2 seconds when turning the unit on. This keeps the unit quite cool and I have not seen a case where both fans were active during use, even over the course of a 2-3 hour movie played at reference level (0 dB).

The Denon has IIRC two fans underneath the amplifier heatsink and they will generally only run in extreme temperature cases (never saw it on the X3700H).

DMill

Forum Donor
I would add that you have given your AVR plenty of room to breathe. You’d be surprised as to how many AVRs I’ve seen jammed into the tightest of spaces imaginable with absolutely zero ventilation.

Top Bottom