• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I donated the cable. I was once an audio fool, now I am a science diehard. :) I hope no one else needs to learn this the hard way as I did.
Although I can't imagine why you bought this in the first place, I'm impressed that you realised that you were "had", and even more impressed that you were prepared to confess in public like this! :)

Panelhead

Forum Donor
It operates at 72 volt potential. The 27A batteries may be a stack of 8 watch batteries. So 48 cells in series. Rather than Amazon, I assume AQ has the batteries 27A available.
Wonder how many of these have actually been purchased?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've seen 'driven shields' in the playback head cables of older analog tape machines with high impedance heads, the intent of which is to reduce cable capacitance. I wonder if they are using a similar rationale with these cables?

Midwest Blade

The problem with AudioQuest in my Country, this is the only high end cable brand you can get in most Dutch hifi shops, physical or online. They have a so called monopoly in the Netherlands (IMHO). So even if you beleve high end cables make a difference AudioQuest is the only one available. Good thing we have Amazone these days.

Can you get access to Blue Jeans Cables via Amazon or other sources in the Netherlands?

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've seen 'driven shields' in the playback head cables of older analog tape machines with high impedance heads, the intent of which is to reduce cable capacitance. I wonder if they are using a similar rationale with these cables?
Frankly, I don't think there's a "rationale", just a blind search for distinguishing (marketing) characteristics.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
AQ I thought were understood to be full of it, putting it politely.

So are all cables nonsense, Tara Labs, Crystal Cable, Gobel, uber high end brands that leave the lips of these audiophile reviewers so regularly?
You mean like this <https://nordost.com/images/review-images/review-pdf/HiFi_128_Nordost_HR.pdf>?
Nordost Odin 2 Supreme power cord: £13,599/1.5m
Nordost Odin 2 Supreme interconnect cables: £19,999/1.5m RCA pair
Nordost Odin 2 Supreme loudspeaker cables: £43,399/4m terminated pair
(I can never resist mentioning Nordost in a cable thread!)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Sorry in advance.

Audioquest Fantasy RPG.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Nope. It’s DC.

StefaanE

Forum Donor

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I used to visit hi-fi dealer shops, I have heard, on several occasions, the sales people say this to their customers (including to myself and I was a sucker back then) - "You have a $20K system. Why would you compromise it with cheap cables?". I later found out that the margins on cables are even higher than on electronics/speakers. And then there is the "weakest link in the chain" argument from the sales people - now that you have a higher end cable between your DAC and preamp, the rest of the chain is weak - so the customer is sucked in and then its like crack cocaine. Then there are power cords, speaker cables, etc.

Full disclosure - I once bought a $400 RCA interconnect. Luckily I was able to sell it for a decent price and it didn't go beyond that. I cannot believe I was suckered into buying it.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I kept wondering about the name of this cable. Seemed odd, until I looked and it is part of the Element series. Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water. And curiously the Wild Blue Yonder (the 5th element?).

They have Bridges and Falls series, and the River series.

I think they should have the Gold mine and Silver mine series. Named after famous mining camps. The Carson Hill and the Comstock Lode perhaps. Sutter's Mill, and Butte for another pair. Seems like there is gold and silver in them thar cables.
What, no Pyrites Special Edition?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Nope. It’s DC.
Yes, I know that, but reality doesn't seem to intrude on the logic of cable companies with mis-applied rationale. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any explanation of their rationale in their advertising.

6speed

@amirm Your cheapie cable had arrows on it. Is the shield really only attached at one end, and does it make a measurable difference to the transformer mains noise test connected one direction or the other?

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Yes, I know that, but reality doesn't seem to intrude on the logic of cable companies with mis-applied rationale. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any explanation of their rationale in their advertising.
Because there is no rationale. In the best case, they are "true believers" like one finds in every religion, who apply magic recipes to achieve desired outcomes (cf. relics in Christianity). At worst, they are unscrupulous hucksters who exploit the true believers (cf. the people who made false relics and abused them for personal gain).

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I later found out that the margins on cables are even higher than on electronics/speakers.

One of the few surviving hi-fi dealers in my home country gladly supplies you with all the AudioQuest nonsense you could ever wish for. I see them as sell-outs, others might say they just fill a demand. Either way I suspect it's a big part of what keeps them in business.

Top Bottom