• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Transparency, File Format and Bitrate Survey

File Format and Bitrate of Choice?

• MP3 (320 kbps)

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • MP3 (128 kbps)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • AAC (256 kbps)

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • AAC (128 kbps)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opus (160 kbps)

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Opus (96 kbps)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • FLAC

Votes: 93 66.9%
  • WAV

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I voted FLAC.
Some time ago I ABXed mp3 128 and FLAC and couldn't hear a difference. But I still wouldn't have mp3 in my library. I
Space is not an issue and I like to have lossless music for my peace of mind. Just in case, because sometimes when I listen to music, I feel that there is not enough air, spatial attributes, whatever. I want to be sure that the reason for that is either poor production or my speakers and not the compression.

spiritofjerry

I voted FLAC.
Some time ago I ABXed mp3 128 and FLAC and couldn't hear a difference. But I still wouldn't have mp3 in my library. I
Space is not an issue and I like to have lossless music for my peace of mind. Just in case, because sometimes when I listen to music, I feel that there is not enough air, spatial attributes, whatever. I want to be sure that the reason for that is either poor production or my speakers and not the compression.
I think FLAC being a lossless format kinda overqualifies it for this comparison. IMO, the comparison should have been between lossy formats only.

Jim Tonic

FLAC and 320 kbps MP3 for storage.
96k OPUS on mobile phone (cause I was not able to hear difference at ABX-test flac vs. opus96k)

JaccoW

My cellphone has room for a micro-SD card so there's 128GB on the phone itself and a 512GB card in there.

Most of my rips are FLAC and DSF (DSD) with some older music that I haven't re-ripped still in Mp3.
I just pop the originals on there.

Top Bottom