• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Technica ATLP 120XUSB

VinceA

Hi all
Newbie question, so go easy on me.. ;-) ... Daughter just purchased this turntable. In order for her to set it up, do I need to simply buy any sort of powered speakers (budget is around AUD500, so suggestions most welcome) OR is it better to invest in an older amplifier (say not less than 5 years old from FB market place) and then buy passive speakers to match?

Just need something "decent" that won't break the bank. Speakers I'd prefer bookshelf style.

Appreciate the help!

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all
Newbie question, so go easy on me.. ;-) ... Daughter just purchased this turntable. In order for her to set it up, do I need to simply buy any sort of powered speakers (budget is around AUD500, so suggestions most welcome) OR is it better to invest in an older amplifier (say not less than 5 years old from FB market place) and then buy passive speakers to match?

Just need something "decent" that won't break the bank. Speakers I'd prefer bookshelf style.

Appreciate the help!
For that budget I'd go with powered monitors or bookshelves.

Maybe something from the likes of Kali, possibly Klipsch R-50PM.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Powered speakers should work fine with it. Just make sure you have the right kind of connections for the cables. That turntable includes a phono preamp (make sure it is set to use the built in preamp). It comes with regular RCA cables so if the powered speakers you pick need a different connector, get whatever adapters are needed.

Is she only going to listen to the turntable or do you need to allow for other options like a streamer?

OP
V

VinceA

Txs - someone else suggested the AudioEngine A5s? They are more expensive (a few hundred dollars with Bluetooth)... I know it comes down to budget and preferences, in the end...

OP
V

VinceA

Powered speakers should work fine with it. Just make sure you have the right kind of connections for the cables. That turntable includes a phono preamp (make sure it is set to use the built in preamp). It comes with regular RCA cables so if the powered speakers you pick need a different connector, get whatever adapters are needed.

Is she only going to listen to the turntable or do you need to allow for other options like a streamer?
I'll need to check...Bluetooth seems to add a few hundred bucks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
With powered speakers you (probably) won't have a handy volume control and there's no way to plug-in multiple devices. Some active "computer speakers" do have handy volume control knobs, but still usually only one input.

A receiver or AVR with passive speakers is more flexible, but it will cost a bit more.

Maybe for now, passive speakers and a small-inexpensive amplifier (so you can use the speakers with something else later).

Integrated amplifiers (with multiple inputs, multiple controls, and a power amplifier section) are specialty items and they tend to cost more than a receiver. A preamp, which could be used for active speakers is also a specialty item.

staticV3

Master Contributor
In order for her to set it up, do I need to simply buy any sort of powered speakers (budget is around AUD500, so suggestions most welcome) OR is it better to invest in an older amplifier (say not less than 5 years old from FB market place) and then buy passive speakers to match?
Both would work.

Are you looking for new speakers? Or is used ok?

OP
V

VinceA

With powered speakers you (probably) won't have a handy volume control and there's no way to plug-in multiple devices. Some active "computer speakers" do have handy volume control knobs, but still usually only one input.

A receiver or AVR with passive speakers is more flexible, but it will cost a bit more.

Maybe for now, passive speakers and a small-inexpensive amplifier (so you can use the speakers with something else later).

Integrated amplifiers (with multiple inputs, multiple controls, and a power amplifier section) are specialty items and they tend to cost more than a receiver. A preamp, which could be used for active speakers is also a specialty item.
Thanks - any suggestions for make / year of manufacture?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a 4 volt output for the AudioTechnica pre-amp so that should work with most active speakers well enough without other gear.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I'll need to check...Bluetooth seems to add a few hundred bucks!

You could add something like the Wiim Pro Plus streamer. It is a little over $200. It has RCA jacks on the back so you could plug the turntable in there and then connect the streamer to your powered speakers.

I wouldn't want to be limited to a turntable only. A streamer adds a lot of functionality. The Wiim also has an optical input so you could add a CD player later on if desired.

Edited to clarify: Bluetooth is not needed in this setup, but the Wiim does have the ability to output to Bluetooth.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ideally new, as they are a present.
Honestly I think that an external Amp plus some passive bookshelves would make most sense here.

For the Amp, I'd take a look at the Aiyima A07 Max or the Fosi V3. They're both around AUD 80-120 on Amazon, AliExpress, etc.

As for the bookshelves, I found a few decent models that are available in Australia:

OP
V

VinceA

Thanks everyone - excellent input. A few things to ponder and thank you for keeping it all accessible, really appreciated it...

staticV3

Master Contributor
You could add something like the Wiim Pro Plus streamer. It is a little over $200. It has RCA jacks on the back so you could plug the turntable in there and then connect the streamer to your powered speakers.

I wouldn't want to be limited to a turntable only. A streamer adds a lot of functionality. The Wiim also has an optical input so you could add a CD player later on if desired.

Edited to clarify: Bluetooth is not needed in this setup, but the Wiim does have the ability to output to Bluetooth.
The WiiM Pro Plus costs $330 in Australia.

That leaves about 170 AUD / 110 USD for the speakers.

The WiiM is nice, but just not feasible with OP's budget.

Ze Frog

OP
V

VinceA

If it's a gift and for someone not willing to tinker if needed, as much as I love vintage gear myself, I'd have to advise against it really. Just never know what might need maintenance etc or how much life is left.
OK, ruling it out...

OP
V

VinceA

Also Edifier speakers common on Amazon can be worth a look, some of them really aren't too shabby in looks and sounds.
I was indeed considering this? What do you think?

Edifier S2000MKIII Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf 2.0 Speaker

Ze Frog

I was indeed considering this? What do you think?

Edifier S2000MKIII Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf 2.0 Speaker

Reviews on Amazon are 4.9 stars on UK site. Should imagine this is a pretty good solution and looks nice. Might even have enough change for a couple of records left as well.

Top Bottom