• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

audio setup for computer

BRVO

Hello friends

First-time poster here. I have seen one or two threads with slight deviations from my question, so apologies if answers already exist. I am a complete idiot when it comes to audio, so please bear that in mind!

I have a computer with an X570 Aorus Master motherboard. I have an Audioengine D1 connected to the MB via optical cable. Plugged into that are Audioengine A5+ speakers.

I am considering upgrading the D1. Part of the issue is an intermittent static issue through one speaker that I have been unable to resolve. Generally, though, I find music (mainly rock/jazz) to be rather 'thin'. I have been advised to consider a sub to help with that side of things, and I am looking into that separately.

In terms of the DAC, however, would the purchase of a full receiver be a decent upgrade? If so, would it be best to opt for an A/V receiver or a stereo receiver? I like Yamaha products so would likely begin my search there in either case. What I would need direction on is exactly what rear connections I'd need the receiver to have in order to successfully connect everything. Of course, if the receiver isn't advisable, I'll reconsider the whole thing!

Many thanks to you.

EDIT: Wanted to mention that I use my computer for music playback (itunes) and video streaming (YouTube, Netflix). I also wanted to mention that the vast majority of my listening is done without headphones.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm thinking that your looking for is a DAC/headphone amplifier that also comes with a separate line-output (for connection to A5+)
Budget?

OP
B

BRVO

Thank you for your reply. I have a budget of CAN$350 or so, slightly fluid depending upon recommendations.

The headphone amplifier replaces a headphone connection straight to the PC, correct? Effectively the headphone connectivity that the D1 currently provides? That would be ideal, yes. I hope I'm answering your question when I say that I am looking for a single unit (or stack if a receiver is better substituted by something else) that will allow on-desk volume control, headphone connection and connection(s) for the A5+.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
I have an Audioengine D1 connected to the MB via optical cable. Plugged into that are Audioengine A5+ speakers.

I am considering upgrading the D1. Part of the issue is an intermittent static issue through one speaker that I have been unable to resolve. Generally, though, I find music (mainly rock/jazz) to be rather 'thin'. I have been advised to consider a sub to help with that side of things, and I am looking into that separately.
It is not actually static [electricity]. An intermittent crackle sound, caused by faulty connection, probably the speakers but maybe in the D1, maybe faulty circuit/component in either. That fault might even be the cause of the sound seeming "thin."

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
OP
B

BRVO

That's about $270 excluding taxes?

The list starts US$150
Fiio K5 Pro
Loxjie D30 DAC
Topping DX3Pro

All of them have pros and cons. Read the reviews (linked) and get back and ask more questions.

Thank you so much for this. At a glance, the Topping looks like the preferred route although I will read the reviews in greater depth this evening. I assume from these recommendations that a receiver isn't ideal?

OP
B

BRVO

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding the sub, I highly recommend one.

Regarding receivers, some are great but not when you have to put them on a desk where the sheer size of it would look comical. I have used one in the past with multi-channel analog out from my PC and a subwoofer but I was able to put the AVR on a separate table.

Today I don't want that bulk and wish someone made a DAC/Preamp with crossover capability, not just a subwoofer output that still sends full-range signal to the speakers.

Barring that, subwoofers that take the full-range input first, then output a high-passed signal to speakers, can do the filtering for you. Like this one: https://emotiva.com/collections/subwoofers/products/airmotiv-se12-subwoofer

28 Hz +/- 3 dB so not going to keep up with a Rythmik, but not bad, either.

In this case it would go: output from the computer > DAC/Preamp > RCA into sub > RCA out to speakers.

However in MY case my rear home theater subwoofer is under my computer desk and I'd rather use that, thus I'm still looking for a DAC/Preamp with full crossover since Rythmiks don't have the above-mentioned high-pass. I might end up going with a MiniDSP 2x4 HD.

I'll watch this thread to see what you come up with...good luck.

OP
B

BRVO

If you swap the channels on the D1 (line out) and it remains the same speaker, something is wrong with this speaker.

Speakers set to full range?
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/AudioPanel.htm

Hello Vincent! I have done as suggested, and the same speaker continues to produce the intermittent crackling. Given that this appears to be a speaker problem as opposed to a DAC issue, is all hope lost for this set? It is the powered rather than passive speaker that is the issue.

OP
B

BRVO

Regarding the sub, I highly recommend one.

Regarding receivers, some are great but not when you have to put them on a desk where the sheer size of it would look comical. I have used one in the past with multi-channel analog out from my PC and a subwoofer but I was able to put the AVR on a separate table.

Today I don't want that bulk and wish someone made a DAC/Preamp with crossover capability, not just a subwoofer output that still sends full-range signal to the speakers.

Barring that, subwoofers that take the full-range input first, then output a high-passed signal to speakers, can do the filtering for you. Like this one: https://emotiva.com/collections/subwoofers/products/airmotiv-se12-subwoofer

28 Hz +/- 3 dB so not going to keep up with a Rythmik, but not bad, either.

In this case it would go: output from the computer > DAC/Preamp > RCA into sub > RCA out to speakers.

However in MY case my rear home theater subwoofer is under my computer desk and I'd rather use that, thus I'm still looking for a DAC/Preamp with full crossover since Rythmiks don't have the above-mentioned high-pass. I might end up going with a MiniDSP 2x4 HD.

I'll watch this thread to see what you come up with...good luck.

Thank you very much for this. I have learned a great deal this evening by researching your various points to learn what they mean! I didn't understand what crossover was, for example. I gather from your second paragraph that most DACs with sub out will send a signal to the speakers which incorporates the bass that (ideally) the subwoofer should be producing separately? Or have I misunderstood this concept?

Again, thank you for your post.

OP
B

BRVO

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for this. I have learned a great deal this evening by researching your various points to learn what they mean! I didn't understand what crossover was, for example. I gather from your second paragraph that most DACs with sub out will send a signal to the speakers which incorporates the bass that (ideally) the subwoofer should be producing separately? Or have I misunderstood this concept?
Right. You want that filtered out to get the full benefit of relieving the speakers of sub bass duty.

OP
B

BRVO

Right. You want that filtered out to get the full benefit of relieving the speakers of sub bass duty.

If opting for a subwoofer that filters, does it matter whether the connected speakers are passive or powered?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If opting for a subwoofer that filters, does it matter whether the connected speakers are passive or powered?
Now I have never done this before, but if the speakers are passive, the outputs from the sub would need to go to an amplifier first, then speaker wire to the speakers. Otherwise the RCAs would just go to powered speakers.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

Yes it does.

Since the D1 has RCA outputs you need both an amp and speakers.
The simplest way would be adding active speakers. Unless you can repair the current ones.
Since it's the unit that powers the whole thing that seems to be the culprit.

This is one of the best at US$270 price point/pair.
You can always add a sub later on.

Kali LP-6 Review: Studio Monitor

This way you can do all sorts of fun upgrades later....

OP
B

BRVO

Yes it does.

Since the D1 has RCA outputs you need both an amp and speakers.
The simplest way would be adding active speakers. Unless you can repair the current ones.
Since it's the unit that powers the whole thing that seems to be the culprit.

This is one of the best at US$270 price point/pair.
You can always add a sub later on.

Kali LP-6 Review: Studio Monitor

This way you can do all sorts of fun upgrades later....

Thank you, thank you.

Just so that I am crystal clear - passive speakers would require an additional amp if I keep the D1. Active speakers would not. Am I close?

Emlin

Thank you, thank you.

Just so that I am crystal clear - passive speakers would require an additional amp if I keep the D1. Active speakers would not. Am I close?

Yes, active speakers have amplification, passive don't. More correctly, powered speakers have amplification, active speakers have amplification and at least active crossovers. I think....

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

To keep it simple, yes.

Top Bottom