• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

audio interfaces built into DJ gear

Be.

I would be very curious to see ASR reviews of the audio quality of the USB audio interfaces built into DJ gear to see how it measures up against dedicated audio interfaces. Some devices I'd suggest testing:

Pioneer DJM 900 NXS 2: very popular mixer with built in USB audio interface. Many DJs say Pioneer mixers don't sound great. I would love to see some actual measurements.
Allen & Heath Xone 96, Denon X1850 Prime: competition to the Pioneer DJM 900 NXS 2, how do they compare?
Pioneer DDJ-SX3 and DDJ-1000: popular high-end controllers
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk3: NI says the audio interfaces in their current generation of controllers is significantly better than before and DJ gear reviewers have agreed. Let's see how it compares to dedicated audio interfaces
Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 FX, Pioneer DDJ-SB3, Pioneer DDJ-400: these cheap controllers are all very popular. It would be cool to make recommendations for one or the other based on audio quality. I think the Numark would measure significantly better than the Pioneer devices.

Would anyone else be interested in these reviews? Do you have any other devices to suggest testing?

Last edited:

dj_estrela

+1 for interested in ASR reviews.
I have seen several anedotic evidence in forums and FB groups of the following:

DDJ-1000: reported several times that phono preamps are very poor, only appropriate for DVS. Below some links, there was an user in a FB group that did blind tests (cant find the link anymore)
XDJ-XZ: reports that sounds a lot better than DDJ-1000

links:
https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-...eer-DDJ-1000-phono-audio-quality-really-poor- https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-...r-ddj-1000-vs-mixer-djm-750-mk2-mixer-djm-450
https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360055213331-XDJ-XZ-DAC

Last edited:

JMC

I would be very curious to see ASR reviews of the audio quality of the USB audio interfaces built into DJ gear to see how it measures up against dedicated audio interfaces. Some devices I'd suggest testing:

Pioneer DJM 900 NXS 2: very popular mixer with built in USB audio interface. Many DJs say Pioneer mixers don't sound great. I would love to see some actual measurements.
Allen & Heath Xone 96, Denon X1850 Prime: competition to the Pioneer DJM 900 NXS 2, how do they compare?
Pioneer DDJ-SX3 and DDJ-1000: popular high-end controllers
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk3: NI says the audio interfaces in their current generation of controllers is significantly better than before and DJ gear reviewers have agreed. Let's see how it compares to dedicated audio interfaces
Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 FX, Pioneer DDJ-SB3, Pioneer DDJ-400: these cheap controllers are all very popular. It would be cool to make recommendations for one or the other based on audio quality. I think the Numark would measure significantly better than the Pioneer devices.

Would anyone else be interested in these reviews? Do you have any other devices to suggest testing?

I use the DDJ400 a lot which I think it excellent, so I would definitely be interested to see how it compares with other brands and the more expensive Pioneer devices.

Top Bottom