• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

goat76

Major Contributor
I would not be able to make anything here, that is the most sterile place I've ever seen.

I find your assumptions a bit strange as you hardly can know that before you are sitting by their console, if it sounds really good in that room it may be all that is needed to find the inspiration you need.

badspeakerdesigner

I find your assumptions a bit strange as you hardly can know that before you are sitting by their console, if it sounds really good in that room it may be all that is needed to find the inspiration you need.

The visual aspects of a room are important to me. I find the look of this space sterile and uninspiring. I would not feel comfortable in the space regardless of the audio performance.

Figured it's worth mentioning that while I do work in audio, write my own stuff and mix other peoples, I absolutely can't stand the whole studio aesthetic. My own spaces don't go for the look. I've got some genelec and atc style three ways in my living room with a big TV and couch. Feels like a much more realistic environment for where music is played, at least that was the idea behind moving away from more typical studio setups.

Last edited:

Postlan

Some mastering studios aim to master a wide variety of music genres without favoring any specific culture or music genre. It's not surprising that some people prefer a transparent and sterile space that doesn't belong to any particular culture. This is similar to the concept of a white cube in art galleries and museum, although there are also people who reject the idea of a white cube itself. Therefore, there are valid reasons for keeping it completely white, but I'm not claiming that this is the correct or only approach. I personally feel that studios are better suited for listening to music when they are darker. This picture could be in a lighting setting suitable for photography sessions.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Has anyone heard the new Mark 2 25a?

Interested as well.
Reports are it's a little more even handed and a bit cleaner in the top end. The original 25A is definitely a bit rolled-off sounding in the top end and the overall response in the tweeter range was perhaps a bit "grungier" than desired, the new ones supposedly are better in both regards. This I'd believe, given the cheap Peerless tweeter in the original not being what I would call "particularly good" in response.

badspeakerdesigner

Does anyone know of any photos that exist of one of their three ways having the baffle removed. I'm really curious about their cabinet construction and how the port is mounted, stuffing, etc...

dfuller

Major Contributor

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Unfortunately the measurements are pretty worthless since they were done in a small room.
in room measurements are not that worthless, for example you can see there is a huge roll off at 20hz. The big boy is tunned pretty high for its size, that would explain models like this
ATC-SCM300SL-Tower.png

YSDR

List price in Germany is 28.500 EUR per pair. I think it's too expensive. OK you have to pay extra for the "magic marketing dome"...;)
Well, this "magic dome" is still one of the lowest distorting, wide dispersion midrange driver for home/hifi/studio usage at any price. Of course there is a similar dome from Volt, but that doesn't completely reach the performance of the ATC unit, according to the reports of many DIY-ers.
But yeah, their prices are very steep indeed.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Well, this "magic dome" is still one of the lowest distorting, wide dispersion midrange driver for home/hifi/studio usage at any price. Of course there is a similar dome from Volt, but that doesn't completely reach the performance of the ATC unit, according to the reports of many DIY-ers.
But yeah, their prices are very steep indeed.
The Volt dome is not similar at all. The ATC is underhung and has a double suspension, it can go way way lower than most dome mids without distortion going through the roof.

YSDR

I wrote similar, not identical. Similar, because it's a 3" soft dome midrange with huge magnet, short waveguide and similar clamping and IMO the whole unit is constructed to mimic the ATC dome. Anyway, it seems you agree that the ATC is better than the Volt.

Berlin

Well, this "magic dome" is still one of the lowest distorting, wide dispersion midrange driver for home/hifi/studio usage at any price.
Where are the data that support this statement?

P.S.
I have owned a pair of ATCs with this marketing dome and did not find it convincing at all.

Where are the data that support this statement?

P.S.
I have owned a pair of ATCs with this marketing dome and did not find it convincing at all.
1) Where's your scientific data?

P.S.
2) My personal preference

Hahahahahaha, why I don't take these forums seriously...

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As monitors, they are not as good as Neumann KH 420's but they are better than Neumann KH 150's in terms of bass extension. One would have to purchase a pair of KH 750 subs to match these for bass response. The frequency response of the ATC's is not very flat compared to the KH 150's though. The ATC's are pretty,

Top Bottom