• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At he dutch audio event last weekend there was a demonstration of two atc 50 scm tower sets, one active, one passive with a benchmark amp each (4000 euro each).

The active version sounded more precise, detailed, live. The passive version was more creamy, laid back - probably by lack of detail. Heard them twice over 2 days and my observations are largely matching other people’s impressions that I spoke.

The mids sounded nice, nothing agressive, but the overal sound couldn’t convince me. Very weak in the bass department, imaging nothing special. Built and looks, mwah. Would be a nice midfi speaker for 1500-2000 euro’s each.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Oddly enough, it seems that at least two studios in Abbey Road use different cables ... as if anyone cared. A cynic might suggest they're just taking advantage of anyone who offers to give them the whole lot for free ...
given the ridiculous cost price of a high end cable, the gift of cable is much cheaper than an advertising page.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
At he dutch audio event last weekend there was a demonstration of two atc 50 scm tower sets, one active, one passive with a benchmark amp each (4000 euro each).

The active version sounded more precise, detailed, live. The passive version was more creamy, laid back - probably by lack of detail. Heard them twice over 2 days and my observations are largely matching other people’s impressions that I spoke.

The mids sounded nice, nothing agressive, but the overal sound couldn’t convince me. Very weak in the bass department, imaging nothing special. Built and looks, mwah. Would be a nice midfi speaker for 1500-2000 euro’s each.
Cut-off Frequencies (-6dB, free-standing): 38Hz, 25kHz : no miracle

goat76

Major Contributor
In France, Radio France choose ATC because ATC offered the better discount.

All professionals speakers brands lay siege to large structures as soon as they learn of an operation.

Now, Radio France operators use an headphone to overcome the lack of ATC: Bad stereo image.
Bullshit! ATC speakers have pinpoint accuracy when it comes to stereo image. :)

I think you should provide a link with information about your claims.

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor
For all of you who think recording studios will choose speakers they don't think are good, think again. They are dependent on accurate sound for their business.

YSC

Major Contributor
So they must be dumb to use B&W in their other rooms and other legendary studios using something else must be dumb to allow the distorting or lack of dynamics… ATC are good enough tool to do the job, but well a lot more decision making factors aren’t related to the best sound, when’s the last time you saw a mid to large corporation in professional services have money spending decision done by the pros but not the wealthy boss/the finance/marketing guys

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Bullshit! ATC speakers have pinpoint accuracy when it comes to stereo image. :)

I think you should provide a link with information about your claims.
"I think you should provide a link with information about your claims." : you have the wrong person: I am not a member of the ATC company

807Recordings

So they must be dumb to use B&W in their other rooms and other legendary studios using something else must be dumb to allow the distorting or lack of dynamics… ATC are good enough tool to do the job, but well a lot more decision making factors aren’t related to the best sound, when’s the last time you saw a mid to large corporation in professional services have money spending decision done by the pros but not the wealthy boss/the finance/marketing guys
WIth over 25 years IT Consulting experience focusing mainly on security and infrastructures I can say the best solution will often loose out to a large brand name. I have gone through countless nightmare situations from the largest names in the business that are decades behind in technology that got approved at multiple times the cost because of this. Brand name cache goes further than one thinks even when it goes against sciences.

Big studios are old ships and their methodologies will not change unless they go out of business (in most cases). As studio work is hardly a critical infrastructure I can imagine even less concern on SOTA tech. They still get the job done and get the clients so their business model works.

PeterW

Short answer: they measure poorly, which makes them unsuitable for use as monitors (a monitor needs to give you the truth).
The reviewed speakers a small 2 way design, like most 2 ways dome tweeter , midbass, they are limited and unremarkable. The midrange dome used in the lager models is exeptional, the best I have ever auditioned. By the way, the truth include the 2 missing octaves in a small 2 way.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
For all of you who think recording studios will choose speakers they don't think are good, think again. They are dependent on accurate sound for their business.
Myths and urban legends : The business takes precedence and the costs of returns and operation come first.

For the sound, B&W has flooded enough studios like ATC so for sound, you'll come back.

In this business, we don't care about sound, a press crushes both gold and lead.

807Recordings

"No one ever got fired for buying IBM ATC".
maybe not ATC but indeed I seen it on IBM, Cisco, etc. Often though it comes after something seriously critical and huge budget overruns. Rare I admit.
Speakers are likely not taking down a big studio and they are still more than junk even if not SOTA.
My point is simply that in heavily regulated industries like Health Care that also have serious legal implications and life/death situations this still occurs so in entertainment I think it shouldn't be too hard to see the conclusions. :)

goat76

Major Contributor
You can’t expect me to take part in your made-up fantasy conversation.

I think B&W are perfectly fine speakers for the job and said nothing that indicate it’s “dumb” to use them in a studio.

goat76

Major Contributor
"I think you should provide a link with information about your claims." : you have the wrong person: I am not a member of the ATC company
What?

You are the one talking about why French Radio uses headphones instead of their ATC speakers. The thing is that headphones are probably the worst tool for stereo image, that's the weakest thing with headphones. Because of that shortcoming, advanced crossfeed tools are required to get around the problem.

I believe your claims if you provide a link to where the fresh radio say that’s the reason for their use of headphones instead of speakers. Otherwise, please don't spread lies.

YSC

Major Contributor
You can’t expect me to take part in your made-up fantasy conversation.

I think B&W are perfectly fine speakers for the job and said nothing that indicate it’s “dumb” to use them in a studio.
Ok if you don’t mean that I apologise. But still it’s the same opinion, ATC is an old big name, and is good enough to get the job done, but SOTA or real top performer? Big studios using them indicates nothing except it’s good enough to get it done and the boss heard of the brand, marketing guys can sell it.

This is also precisely the reason why new players, even with SOTA designs and real outperforming the old players to get wide adoption in bigger studios, the bigger you go the less you would opt for known reliability with track record and go with better performing options, coz you don’t get credit to opt for the new brand but you got fired if something gets wrong with client preferred brand or some parts failure

goat76

Major Contributor
@YSC, I clearly said it was better to install in-wall speakers instead of free-standing speakers in that room at Abbey Road, and I also said it wasn't a ATC vs B&W thing. Don't know how that could be misunderstood.

YSC

Major Contributor
@YSC, I clearly said it was better to install in-wall speakers instead of free-standing speakers in that room at Abbey Road, and I also said it wasn't a ATC vs B&W thing. Don't know how that could be misunderstood.
Well I got that impression when you say they use the ATC coz they think they sound great, and following the previous posts you seems to imply they choose something better than others and not what some of us say it’s just choosing something good enough and then with enough gimmick or local fame

goat76

Major Contributor
Well I got that impression when you say they use the ATC coz they think they sound great, and following the previous posts you seems to imply they choose something better than others and not what some of us say it’s just choosing something good enough and then with enough gimmick or local fame
Well, I could easily read your last 5 posts and put together something gnarly out of them with the use of some imagination.
A recommendation: Don’t do that.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
What?

You are the one talking about why French Radio uses headphones instead of their ATC speakers. The thing is that headphones are probably the worst tool for stereo image, that's the weakest thing with headphones. Because of that shortcoming, advanced crossfeed tools are required to get around the problem.

I believe your claims if you provide a link to where the fresh radio say that’s the reason for their use of headphones instead of speakers. Otherwise, please don't spread lies.
Radio France operators call their atc speaker "take your headphones".

"Otherwise, please don't spread lies. " by an atc fan boy is a joke.

the link here

goat76

Major Contributor
Radio France operators call their atc speaker "take your headphones". the staging of sound plans on these speakers is a disaster .... directivity?

"Otherwise, please don't spread lies. " by an atc fan boy is a joke.
As long as you can’t provide a link to where they said that, it’s not very believable. And just the fact that the weakest point with headphones is the stereo image makes your claims even less believable. Your claims simply don't make sense from a “mixing view”.

Top Bottom