• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The prices in the US are really absurd, usually they are about 2.5x times european prices. A pair of SCM19v2 was ~1.8k€ last time i looked, in the US the price is above $4k i believe. Keep that in mind. At "our" prices, there is little serious competition.
The prices are now also in Europe absurd, pair price of mentioned compact passive 2 way SCM19 in Germany is 3180€, a decade ago you could get a pair of 3-way floor standers SCM40 for that.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it get more sticky with age or change acoustic properties over time? Uncle’s JBL LX 800 had surround rot and was refoamed with stiffer rubber, he complains it doesn’t sound as smooth as before (could be nocebo).
I suspect the rubber sourrounds will harden in 40 years or so, and then you have to buy new stuff anyway. Mine are produced in 2018 i think, i can not tell if there was a change since. Keep UV and infrared radiation (aka direct sunlight) away and they should last some time.

The prices are now also in Europe absurd, pair price of mentioned compact passive 2 way SCM19 in Germany is 3180€, a decade ago you could get a pair of 3-way floor standers SCM40 for that.
Rats. Imagine your salary would have inflated with that speed.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
They have some tar like stuff on it. So i would say don't clean it at all, the dust is part of the ride from now on. As are the fibers of my kitchen cloth from back when i tried to remove the dust on mine. ;-)

Depends on the model. The SCM 7, SCM 11, SCM 19, SCM 19A, SCM 40, SCM 40A, SCM 12 Pro use the SH25-76 Tweeter. Models SCM 10 SE, SCM 20 SL, SCM 20 SL Tower, SCM 50 SL, SCM 50 SL Tower, SCM 100 SL, SCM 100 SL Tower, SCM 150 SL, SCM 150 SL Tower, SCM 20P SL Pro, SCM 20A SL Pro, SCM 45A Pro, SCM 50A SL Pro, SCM 100A SL Pro, SCM 150A SL Pro use the SH25-76S Tweeter.

Both tweeters are made by ATC, the SH25-76S is the better model with a very, very beefy motor system. However, both have short coils in a large motor system, thus promising low distortion, as is tradition at ATC. They claim to have regular quality problems with third party tweeters used in other models. Some dude has collected information about many of their drivers: http://www.audiostereo.ro/ATC_technology.html

I personally don't like that this thread has degenerated into ATC vs Neumann/Genelec or that it talks only about ATCs three way systems. I'm sure most of their profit and volume comes from their 2 way offerings since 2015 or so. Stuff between SCM7 to SCM19A, which seems very attractive and well regarded in the press.

The prices in the US are really absurd, usually they are about 2.5x times european prices. A pair of SCM19v2 was ~1.8k€ last time i looked, in the US the price is above $4k i believe. Keep that in mind. At "our" prices, there is little serious competition.
As i own both the scm20 passive and the 40s the 3 way is miles better. From the smaller 2 way i think the scm11 is what i would look at.

Yamaoka86

Would be so great if Amir could test some 20asl or 50asl at some time as anyone said they sounds incredible. Hopefully one day..

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
IMHO ASR should do a special filter

Called '' Black magic ATC mid range '', which consist in +3dB in mid range for getting much more black magic
Some mixers and profionals think this is magic so, everyone should do that filter or your speakers don't gonna sound magical.
Some professional as I can see needs the mid range 2 times louder or they aren't gonna hear them.

aac

IMHO ASR should do a special filter

Called '' Black magic ATC mid range '', which consist in +3dB in mid range for getting much more black magic
Some mixers and profionals think this is magic so, everyone should do that filter or your speakers don't gonna sound magical.
Some professional as I can see needs the mid range 2 times louder or they aren't gonna hear them.
ATCs vary from model to model. Some are V shaped. Some have emphasis on mids.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
What are you even talking about?
The most amazing mid range in the entire audio industry!
The most magical and clean mid range ever created!
index.php

dfuller

Major Contributor
index.php
We were talking about the 3-way speakers... Not the 2 ways. I know reading comprehension can be difficult, but please do try.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Indeed! This consumer two way system from over a decade ago measures worse than my SCM19 v2 or any ATC three way system.

What an outrage! Hand me the pitchfork, i'll join you fighting the holy war!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
We were talking about the 3-way speakers... Not the 2 ways. I know reading comprehension can be difficult, but please do try.
Yes its very difficult, the title on the thread said ATC SPEAKERS / MONITORS, and I did my own comment here #609, and I didn't reply anybody.

Please, try 3 times reading this before comment. You need it.

galgogergo

@TheBatsEar , @dfuller
Doesn't worth the hassle arguing with a troll... Just report to @amirm of one of the moderators. I've seen people kicked out of this forum beforehand. This might be the outcome here, if he doesn't repent.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@TheBatsEar , @dfuller
Doesn't worth the hassle arguing with a troll... Just report to @amirm of one of the moderators. I've seen people kicked out of this forum beforehand. Well deserved.
Guy is on a mission, i don't think it's trolling that needs the ban hammer.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Y’all need to calm down a little! It’s just a forum. :cool:
apologies, this is my reminder to not have a bad headache and forum post at the same time. :facepalm:

I've only managed to listen to 2 models from their passive range (SCM20PSL Pro, and SCM12 Pro), but I found them to be a little weird sounding (in the same room as mentioned before). As if their freq response had some random bumps/lows in there, but maybe that's just me.
The active versions feature 3 main things, which they don't (or rather, can't) have in their passive counterparts:
- active crossovers
- bi-amplification
- and all-pass filters, to make the drivers phase-coherent

I strongly recommend you to try them out, having the chance.
You know, you're not the first person I've heard that from... I was looking at a pair of second hand SCM20PSLs with a sub for a second this summer, but ended up with KH310s after reports from engineers whose ears I trust said they were kind of off sounding somehow.

On the other hand, my personal experience with the SCM25As is that they're excellent sounding. Not quite as much bottom end extension as the KH310s (which, F6 of 30hz is wildly good) but what extension they do have is extraordinarily clean. Resolution's test is the interesting bit, 90dB SPL at 1m has them at ~3% distortion at 40hz. Which is insanely good for a 6.5" nominal diameter speaker.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Guy is on a mission, i don't think it's trolling that needs the ban hammer.
When the hammer falls, it will be for damn good reason, and may land in unexpected places! Careful what you ask for as they say….

dfuller

Major Contributor
When the hammer falls, it will be for damn good reason, and may land in unexpected places! Careful what you ask for as they say….
All should beware the bonk of doom.

Top Bottom