• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Assemble best budget system for under $2500 ?

OP
G

greenfingers

Good evening to the good folks of ASR!

After a grueling 5 months journey of audio discovery, my system is complete and total cost tallied, and I have fulfilled my audio bliss (for now).

EverSolo Streamer - USB output to DAC
Musician Pegasus R2R DAC - XLR output
Parasound P6 Pre-amp - XLR input, output to power amp and XLR to Subwoofer
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 2 Channel Amplifier - XLR input

All the gear above are sitting on a desktop with wheels so I can roll the system between 2 rooms. It was a byproduct of Qobuz - THANK YOU Qobuz. Let me explain, Qobuz didn't allow listener to remotely control playlist or songs like Spotify. So it turned out I saved big as I don't have to spend two units of the gears listed above. Using only Qobuz (and the occasional Spotify, kids still want to keep it), I have control to select any song I like and the P6 pre-amp has a Subwoofer volume control, perfect for bass adjustments as bass level varies widely from song to song.

I found using XLR connection from preamp to Emotiv Airmotiv XS10 ($399) is excellent SPL for base, loudest and tightest bass I've tried for $400!! Even compared to $800+ subs eg Definitive Technology Descend DN12 12" Subwoofer and SVS SB-3000 at $1099 !?!? both returned next day.

Afterall, I kept the Focal Chora 816, added Airmotiv XS10 Subwoofer in kitchen. I find these focal a little bright, little shouty, but very detailed and energetic.

Bought used B&W CM10 S2 and added Airmotiv XS10 Subwoofer for the master bedroom. These replaced my older system Willsenton R8 KT88/EL34 Tube Amp and Klipse RF8000.

B&W CM10 kinda hard to drive is why I upgrade budget for Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 power amp. These speakers are way higher class than focals, costs 3-4 times when they were new. They are refined, amazing imaging and just jaw dropping fidelity.

Once the streamer (replaced noisy laptop), DAC, pre-amp, and amp and 2 pairs of speakers were settled on. Other minor tweaks for sound improvements were clean power cables (WAudio AC Power Cable). the Blue Jeans Cable Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable were huge in high and mid range transparency over the MediaBridge cables. That's how vital I found some of the interconnects and how they contributed to better sound in my system. Not all interconnects worked out better than the last. (I do A/B test for every new gear or cable)

WAudio 3.3FT AC Power Cables were cheap but improved soundstage, lower noise floor, increased imaging especially when used in the Parasound P6 to a point I questioned myself if I needed a $1000 external R2R DAC at all? As the P6 has internal DAC. So now I have 3 DACs: EverSolo, P6, both delta sigma and the Pegasus is R2R. I can switch between any of the 3 DACs in my current system because the P6 has so many inputs. My first DAC AUNE X8 doesn't get to join the party.

It was not all sneak oil to me because for every new cable I auditioned, I A/B test using a same song, same volume level and playing first 30 seconds I can easily tell if there were improvements or not. These A/B test were done for every USB, coaxal, optical, speaker, power cord, XLR, RCA cables. You name it, if they're within my price point I tried it. The Amazon return dept had blacklisted me over and over, sending hate emails and warnings to charge restocking fees and cancel prime membership (please! you'll be doing me a favor) hahaha but I don't care. If I returned 40% of gear I tried, I still have bought and kept 60% of their merchandize.

So there you have it, never thought the final cost be 3 times the orginal budget but I have 2 systems instead of one.

One lingering thought and question to members here. Sometimes, I am still itching for a better DAC, thinking Gustard R26 or Denafrips Pontus II, but youtubers tell me the power amp has to cost twice price of the DAC to make the DAC upgrade worthwhile. Is this true???

Top Bottom