• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you using a specific chair to listen.

Dogan

Oh, there is this listening chair used by a Turkish poilitican -Ismet Inonu- who became the head of state in late 30s. The guy was a classical music fan with a serious hearing loss that he masterfully used as a political tool. Anyways, soon after he lost the elections in early 50s, the chair disappeared from the concert hall that our guy frequents and then resurfaced some 30 years later in a warehouse.

There was an amplification system incorporated in the sides of the chair at the ear level. Some articles I found online claim that the amplification was in the order of 30-40 db. I'm not so sure about that but there must surely be some delay and phase issues :)

Dogan

chair 2.jpg
chair.jpg
Ismert Inonu.jpg

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very nice. I have a knock-off that's actually well done. I normally wouldn't support that kind of thing, but when you consider even the Herman Miller versions made now aren't "authentic" but rather "authorized" instead... I managed to subdue my ethical concerns with it somehow. ;) When the real ones were reasonable, I was too young and too poor... and now - well, I'm not sure how rich I'd have to be to pay $6-8K for a chair that's still technically a reproduction (an original in mint condition would be another matter entirely). At 1/6th the price of the HM versions, I find mine to be much more comfortable! LOL.

It's kinda ironic considering that they (Eames) were all about "making good design accessible to all" - and now their authorized designs go for a significant premium. Sure it's not nearly to the level of some architectural furniture... but it's far from accessible to most, let alone all. IMO at least.

Nothing against Eames knockoffs - at the time I purchased (mid-late 90s) they were pretty terrible, and the ones made in Mich weren't as screechingly pricey as they are today. I notice the one you reference has a pretty sizeable headrest - one of the things I like about the original is the headrest is below ear height for me, so minimal ear-interference. (I've mic'd & REW'd with and without.)
I wonder if the replicas hold up better, too - they seem to need repairs every 20 yrs or so:) But the local HM dealer has excellent service, and HM does good work on them for not too much $ (depending on what breaks!)
I could never understand how Charles could find it comfortable, at his size, tho Ray would have been a perfect fit (in my experience 5' tall women fall in love with them:).
Adding the sheepskin took it from being painful for long listening sessions to nearly perfect - but I have a disc problems down there, too.
They do hold their value tho - I recently sold off one of my sofas for close to what I paid for it 20 yrs ago. (Had too many sofas!).
Totally agree with the huge gap between the Eames's intent and the ultimate cost, though all their HM designs have always been pricey - my Dad, an architect, could never afford more than the fiberglass dining chairs and one LCW, so made a few of his own clones.
(Probably why I ended up with a house full of the stuff... the only non Eames/HM chair is a huge LazyBoy!!)
Anyway, with the new non-slip sheepskin, it's now an absolute joy to use - wonder why I didn't think of that before.
PS. Also have an Aeron at my desk (where I do most of my initial music 'assessments', so also audio related. That thing has also held up extremely well, still as comfy as the day I bought it.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Nothing against Eames knockoffs - at the time I purchased (mid-late 90s) they were pretty terrible, and the ones made in Mich weren't as screechingly pricey as they are today. I notice the one you reference has a pretty sizeable headrest - one of the things I like about the original is the headrest is below ear height for me, so minimal ear-interference.
PS. Also have an Aeron at my desk (where I do most of my initial music 'assessments', so also audio related. That thing has also held up extremely well, still as comfy as the day I bought it.

I have a Mirra for my desk chair, and I agree it's quite good and holds up well (it's also where I do most of my listening). That "headrest" is actually the same proportionally - it stops at my shoulders and I'm 5'11". I think they extended the size somewhat to compensate for the thicker seat cushions (compared to the original design). In any case, my ears are completely free of obstruction in it... but my head is also free of support - so it fits the definition of "occasional furniture"! An hour or two of listening or reading is no problem, but you definitely don't want to take a nap in it.

So far nothing has broken down, so we'll see in a few years how it holds up... everything feels as-new but just slightly softer after 6 years - I think the cushions in the originals tended to compress more (but impossible to know as they've all been 30+ years older). ;)

Bald1

Looked at reviews around the net on the Ikea POÄNG rocking chair. Seems folks complain that it is both hard to rock and the protrusion on the front of the rocker blades can be dangerous. Maybe better to stick with the non-rocking version?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Looked at reviews around the net on the Ikea POÄNG rocking chair. Seems folks complain that it is both hard to rock and the protrusion on the front of the rocker blades can be dangerous. Maybe better to stick with the non-rocking version?

I tried several chairs at Ikea, including the POANG, and the seats were too low for this stiff old body to easily arise from.

And then I saw this one which has a higher seat and more upright back:

PELLO,

Added one of these for added comfort:

HALLO

Works well for listening and reading, is easy to move, and inexpensive to boot.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Front drivers seat... in my car, time alignment and levels are set for it for car audio competition ;) if only I could fit the gamut lobster in, my detail and spatious soundstage would be biggerer :D
I like using a high end active car audio crossover in my home audio tri-amp'd system. Works great!

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my setup with footrest. Basicly i'm not resting my head on the headrest it is around 10 a 20 cm off. I can elevate the chair as i like or put it under any angle. But it sits after 30 minutes quite hard. Thats why i'm looking for the IKEA Poang or posible another chair if recommended.
M922hAq.jpg
wowowow surround sound at the desktop?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, there is this listening chair used by a Turkish poilitican -Ismet Inonu- who became the head of state in late 30s. The guy was a classical music fan with a serious hearing loss that he masterfully used as a political tool. Anyways, soon after he lost the elections in early 50s, the chair disappeared from the concert hall that our guy frequents and then resurfaced some 30 years later in a warehouse.

There was an amplification system incorporated in the sides of the chair at the ear level. Some articles I found online claim that the amplification was in the order of 30-40 db. I'm not so sure about that but there must surely be some delay and phase issues :)

Dogan

View attachment 42977View attachment 42978View attachment 42979
That's some enthusiast level chair building for sure.

Dumdum

I like using a high end active car audio crossover in my home audio tri-amp'd sytem. Works great!
Funnily enough I was toying with sending a helix dsp in for testing, takes analogue, digital (optical and coax) and Bluetooth in from all manner of sources (I also have a usb input card for it) it certain is a powerful bit of kit

look up a helix dsp pro 2 if anyone’s interested

cjf

I have two of these in the listening room and they are excellent. Only chair I've ever sat in that let's you forget that your sitting in a chair at all.

Stress less Wing

stressless-eagle-wing-recliner-by-ekornes-1.jpg

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two of these in the listening room and they are excellent. Only chair I've ever sat in that let's you forget that your sitting in a chair at all.

Stress less Wing

The Thiel distributor here, oddly, was also a retailer of Ekorns Stressless as well. He'd have bundle deals with speakers. I thought it an offbeat gimmick until I sat in one of them.

I'm partial to this design (and the matching ottoman) from a furniture supplier to the Japanese Imperial Household:

1_000000000370.jpg

It's my dream chair

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Funnily enough I was toying with sending a helix dsp in for testing, takes analogue, digital (optical and coax) and Bluetooth in from all manner of sources (I also have a usb input card for it) it certain is a powerful bit of kit

look up a helix dsp pro 2 if anyone’s interested
I checked the german .pdf of the Helix DSP Pro 2 and the software EQ on that is to die for. My hearing is a bit dead on the top end so I'm enthusiastic on the software it comes with. It really looks like a superb machine. I can imagine what it would be like for amirm to test all those channels and features >@^_*@<
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/processors/dsp-pro-mk2
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/media/pdf/a9/13/d3/BA_HELIX-DSP-PRO-MK2.pdf
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HELIX-DSP-P...-PROCESSOR-DIGITAL-IN-BRAND-NEW-/202061378143

Dumdum

I checked the german .pdf of the Helix DSP Pro 2 and the software EQ on that is to die for. My hearing is a bit dead on the top end so I'm enthusiastic on the software it comes with. It really looks like a superb machine. I can imagine what it would be like for amirm to test all those channels and features >@^_*@<
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/processors/dsp-pro-mk2
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/media/pdf/a9/13/d3/BA_HELIX-DSP-PRO-MK2.pdf
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HELIX-DSP-P...-PROCESSOR-DIGITAL-IN-BRAND-NEW-/202061378143
It really does make a nice job of eqing the horrid environment I have to deal with in a car, I may be able to lay hands on a second dsp pro 2 for a test session, I’d really love to see how good my headunit is or as I suspect... isn’t, and if you look up a zapco 150.6ap you will see why I am curious about why they are one of the most used amplifiers for mobile use in car audio competition

depending how many channels you need, look at the dsp mini, I am planning a three way home speaker run from one of these and 6 100w a channel power amps for actively driven and room corrected speakers

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Stress less Wing

stressless-eagle-wing-recliner-by-ekornes-1.jpg
+1 for Ekornes Stressless, excellent chairs.

Ratatoskr

I managed to get over 15 years out of an Ekornes Stressless recliner until the leather started cracking and the seat suspension broke. My fault for not conditioning the leather more regularly and things break. Got my money's worth. The new Stressless models just aren't as comfortable as the old ones to me. They are a chair you sit on rather than in, even the most padded $3000 Reno models. Palliser isn't as well known but makes some very good leather recliners and home theatre seating at prices that are much more reasonable.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It really does make a nice job of eqing the horrid environment I have to deal with in a car, I may be able to lay hands on a second dsp pro 2 for a test session, I’d really love to see how good my headunit is or as I suspect... isn’t, and if you look up a zapco 150.6ap you will see why I am curious about why they are one of the most used amplifiers for mobile use in car audio competition

depending how many channels you need, look at the dsp mini, I am planning a three way home speaker run from one of these and 6 100w a channel power amps for actively driven and room corrected speakers
Nice! I'm really enthusiastic about tri-amped home systems. I built a large set of heavy transmission line cabinets with KEF woofers, KEF tweeters and for midrange used large Altec Lansing horn drivers (w/ "tangerine green" diaphrams for higher fidelity as compared to a more rugged diaphram that doesn't sound as good.) The snare drums, horns, female vocalists and stuff sounded superb with those horns. Love those horns. I used a old Coustic XM-7 car active crossover.
Like these>
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ALTEC-LANSI...052452?hash=item3b1fa62464:g:Zj8AAOSw~Qhbw6o7
https://content.propertyroom.com/li...ic-7-way-crossover--1_1320182247274523870.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom