• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are ground loops harmful to my audio equipment?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18309
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18309

I hope this is the correct place to ask this sort of question. I also tried googling and searching the forum but couldn't find an answer.

Basically I have what I believe is a ground loop after adding replacing my integrated amp with a power amp. It's a soft buzzing from my Q100 speakers that goes away if
1) My Schiit Asgard 3 (which I am using as a preamp for my power amp) is turned off or
2) If my REL Q150E subwoofer (which is being fed speaker-level inputs from my power amp) is turned off

I tried to fix it by plugging everything into the same power strip but to no avail. But given I can only really hear it if I put my ears up to the speakers, I don't know if it's worth the effort to fix. My only worry is that it may cause long term damage to my audio equipment, especially my speakers. Does it?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Your equipment would be more likely to be damaged by a nearby lightning strike. Other than that, I wouldn't expect any major impact on component life.

Still, knowing that you have essentially misimproved your setup wouldn't sit right with me. What are you using as a source for the Asgard, and what's the power amplifier?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can only hear it with your ear against the 'speaker then there really is nothing to worry about, or even think about.

Many unbalanced systems have some degree of ground loopery, it's only an issue if it's audible at normal listening distances.

If you really want to stop it, then there are ground-break solutions usually involving transformers but at the levels yours is, I wouldn't bother at all.

S.

OP
D

Deleted member 18309

Your equipment would be more likely to be damaged by a nearby lightning strike. Other than that, I wouldn't expect any major impact on component life.

Still, knowing that you have essentially misimproved your setup wouldn't sit right with me. What are you using as a source for the Asgard, and what's the power amplifier?

Thanks for replying. My signal chain is as follows:
Macbook Pro/Nintendo Switch/Blu Ray Player to Topping E30 via USB/optical cable (by means of HDMI audio extractor)/coaxial cable respectively, to Schiit Asgard 3, to Denon POA-800 power amplifier, to KEF Q100 speakers/REL Q150E subwoofer. It's a desk set up. Denon POA-800 is a very old power amp (around 30 years old).

OP
D

Deleted member 18309

If you can only hear it with your ear against the 'speaker then there really is nothing to worry about, or even think about.

I'm of the same opinion, provided no harm comes to my equipment. Which both of you that have replied seem to indicate. Except the part @AnalogSteph mentioned about lightning strikes is mildly concerning. But I reckon my circuit breaker would trip before any equipment is damaged, right? I'm not too knowledgable about this stuff.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a site that you should check out about lightning strikes: https://stormhighway.com/surge_protectors_ups_lightning_protection_myth.php.
I want to add that the effects of lightning can come down your cable connections, your phone system wiring, etc. Those things should also have surge protectors on them or be run through USP's (Uninterruptable Power Supplies). We can do what we can do but, as with most things, there are times when no matter what we have done, it won't be enough and it will be luck as to the result.

Last edited:
Top Bottom