• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are corroded monoprice banana plugs still good?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The untouched plug is the left (red) on in the picture of the first post. It may not be completely untouched, but almost untouched. When I got the out of the plastic back, they both looked very clean and shiny. But this changed very rapidly after handling it in my hand.
Acid Hands. It’s a thing. Ask any gun collector :confused:

You remind me

1627407959969.png

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ok... Human skin is naturally somewhat acidic, either to help "good" bacteria or to inhibit "bad" bacteria

I dunno what the variation in acidity is among individuals but am certain that data is out there in some journal (assuming anyone on here cares).

For this item to have been corroded so easily means there is something wrong with it. We are not dealing with blueing here, but a supposed rare metal plating.

egellings

Major Contributor
Ya know, I just get the nice nickel-plates cheapies from Pomona or other suppliers, and they work just fine, and don't corrode. Why fuss over something like that at all?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why wouldn't you just return them? Or what is "recently" and in what environment?

egellings

Major Contributor
Nickel kills the sound? It "breaks in"? I 'spoze. All things are possible. Take your protein pill and put your helmet on. Nickel is an atom. How do those atoms change?

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nickel completely kills the sound, and warming up will help only slightly after 200-300 hours.

Considering its just a thin plating, I don't think it will make any audible difference.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nickel kills the sound? It "breaks in"? I 'spoze. All things are possible. Take your protein pill and put your helmet on. Nickel is an atom. How do those atoms change?

maybe he meant Nickleback kills the sound...

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Monoprice gave me a full refund. I did not even have to send the plugs back. So very generous on their end.

Nevertheless, I am still hesitant to buy anything (e. g. cables, adaptors,...) from them again.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice gave me a full refund. I did not even have to send the plugs back. So very generous on their end.

Nevertheless, I am still hesitant to buy anything (e. g. cables, adaptors,...) from them again.

It either means that they know their flaw.
Or it happens so rarely that it doesn't cost them much to satisfy their customers.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The hassle of making you send back your plugs are simply not worth it. These plugs are mostly made in China at a fraction of the selling price. Furthermore, they are just generic plugs. So monoprice likely purchase ready made ones from some OEM manufacturer.

IronPyrite

Consider rhodium plated terminations. Rhodium has ~half the conductivity of gold, but trades for hardness and durability. Surface hardness of Rhodium is at LEAST 4x that of gold, depending on the gold plating technique (links below). Gold plating is often thin in cheap components, on the order of 2 atoms thick. In fairness, "real world use" for banana plugs (and need for durability) isn't going to be heavy, as opposed to headphones where they tend to get constantly plugged/unplugged. But that out-of-box oxidation in your pictures... At least go with a different brand.

Conductivity
https://www.angstromsciences.com/elements-electrical-conductivity

Hardness
https://www.pfonline.com/articles/hard-gold-plating-vs-soft-gold-plating
https://proplate.com/rhodium-plating-qualities-specifications-and-uses/

Its been noted that rhodium plating is smoother at the molecular level than gold, but it would be only conjecture to make conductivity comparisons based upon that subjective observation alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom