• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARC Genesis results

Descartes

Major Contributor
Of course...
Also please let us know if they are receptive to making modifications to the ARC Genesis so it can be improved! I don’t have time nor the expertise to do all the tweaking!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

The one you posted in post#86:

index.php

Compared to the last one you posted in post#86, it has made a huge improvement in the 20-60 Hz range, congrats!
Are you still using the Anthem mic or the Umik-1, and have you updated to FW version 80?

I am still interested in seeing a comparison with ARCG off. The last time you posted it, I doubt it was actually off, when you changed it to off via the app or on the web UI, it won't always work, in fact most of the time it won't change, you have to cycle power the unit for the change to take effect. Even then, I found that the odd times I have to cycle power and change inputs back and off in order for it to switch between ARCG on/off, strange, but true. Bob Pariseau told me the trick of switching between inputs on AVSF, but again, I found that it still wouldn't work every time, but the majority of the time. I hope future FW updates will fix this issue for good, but then again, Anthem fans don't complain much, and are loyal to a fault, so based on the squeaky wheel theory, I am not too hopeful.

Back to your current results, all you have to do now is, if you like a warmer sound, try tweaking the deep bass a little to add some sort of a Harman tilt. Probably should do it by steps, check with REW after making each change/step. Something like start from deep bass setting of 0.75 or 1, center frequency 50 Hz. It may take you an hour to achieve a smooth looking curve.

In my case, the best I could do after spending a few hours tweaking, is a not too smooth tilt as shown below, at 1/24 smoothing. Using the Psychoacoustic smoothing it looks good enough, for now, until I have more time to play.

View attachment 338501

View attachment 338503
Yes my rew measurements were with the umik1 and with firmware version 80 with a fresh run of ARCG uploaded. I'll try taking some rew measurements with ARCG off and On at the same listening position. I'll try power cycling the receiver to make sure ARCG is off.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also please let us know if they are receptive to making modifications to the ARC Genesis so it can be improved! I don’t have time nor the expertise to do all the tweaking!
I did email them about my perceived issues, and sent them my REW graphs, with the arc file too iirc. The rep didn't really said much if anything. They probably think I am the only one who has issues, especially when I do get reasonably good results after tweaking.

Also, as I mentioned before, it did do better when I did another calibration after the latest FW update. It is not that the product is bad, just didn't live up to the hype. Coming from Audyssey, I expected it to be much better.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes my rew measurements were with the umik1 and with firmware version 80 with a fresh run of ARCG uploaded. I'll try taking some rew measurements with ARCG off and On at the same listening position. I'll try power cycling the receiver to make sure ARCG is off.

Thank you very much, take you time. It really is good news that you are getting so much smoother deep bass response now.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So please provide them with feedback!
I just wrote to them and give them more feedback, including my recent findings that after updating the FW ver. 80, my previous issue with some significant suck out in the deep bass range that appeared to be caused by ARC Genesis, as it wasn't there or not near as bad when ARC G is disabled. I have no idea why such a potentially important fix is not included in their FW update log, but I am still thankful that they told me it was an issue that was fixed just recently.

I actually told them I didn't think the device firmware would affect Genesis but that's what I found. To my surprise, and it's good news because now I know I wasn't imagining things, they confirmed that the recent FW fixed the "bass crippling" issues, that previously people (like me) had to fix it manually post ARC G calibration, i.e. tweaking, lots of tweaking.

This explains why not everyone had the deep bass issues, as it would obviously depend on which firmware they were running. The bottom line is, it is fixed now.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just wrote to them and give them more feedback, including my recent findings that after updating the FW ver. 80, my previous issue with some significant suck out in the deep bass range that appeared to be caused by ARC Genesis, as it wasn't there or not near as bad when ARC G is disabled. I have no idea why such a potentially important fix is not included in their FW update log, but I am still thankful that they told me it was an issue that was fixed just recently.

I actually told them I didn't think the device firmware would affect Genesis but that's what I found. To my surprise, and it's good news because now I know I wasn't imagining things, they confirmed that the recent FW fixed the "bass crippling" issues, that previously people (like me) had to fix it manually post ARC G calibration, i.e. tweaking, lots of tweaking.

This explains why not everyone had the deep bass issues, as it would obviously depend on which firmware they were running. The bottom line is, it is fixed now.
Another example... no matter what room correction you are using, some post measurements are necessary to confirm things are working properly. Nice the results are now more what you would expect. This seems to have been an issue for quite some time.

Descartes

Major Contributor

Thank you so much, glad they were responsive and resolved the issue. Is this the latest version of the Anthem Firmware and ARC Genesis software? Or do you have a beta version?
Also do you need to redownload it?

For Mac it is 1.7.4

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so much, glad they were responsive and resolved the issue. Is this the latest version of the Anthem Firmware and ARC Genesis software? Or do you have a beta version?
Also do you need to redownload it?

For Mac it is 1.7.4
It's just the Anthem AVM and MRX FW, no change in the ARCG software so no need to re download ARCG.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds better after re-running ARC G with FW80. Probably Placebo effects, kniwing that it fixed the bass correction. Even the lower midrange sounded more transparent, crystal clear...

perryleros

Thank you so much! Finally got to see other AARC's REW measured FR.:)

Your results appear to be consistent with mine, that it left a suck out in the deep bass, though yours look a little better than mine. Based on this, I would highly recommend you try adding deep bass boost. You can start with 2 dB and see what REW shows, and go from there.

I prefer flat, or just a slight tilt in the deep bass, but according to the famous Harman study (hence the popular Harman curve), most trained ears seemed to prefer a steep tilt, such as a tilt that would boost 6 dB or so, to even 10 dB (the extremist) at 20 Hz.

Will do the quick measure vs REW today.

I posted the following before, it was for front left, right, sub1 and sub2:
Also 1/24 smoothing:

See that ARC Genesis preserved the lower to mid bass gain but took the deep bass gain out a lot, for no apparent reason.

View attachment 284214

This might help some people, I have been experiencing the same issue. If your subwoofer is capable below lets say 20hz then ARC Genesis is botching it's output in those frequencies.
Tried so many subwoofers and settings and figured out the only way to preserve the natural subwoofer response in the infra-sonics is set "Minimum Correction Frequency" to something else higher than the default 15hz.
In my case I set it to 30hz because below 30hz the subwoofer output increases tremendously according to the graph so I tell Anthem to not touch it.

1708013132527.png

This way it corrects/smooths out 30hz and above, and below 30hz I get that natural response so in total it kinda looks like the harman curve starting higher and drops as you go up in hz.

This way I got back the strong sub-sonic impact I was missing with Anthem processors.

*Note: usually the response is smooth below 25-30hz in most rooms so in my opinion there is not an absolute need to EQ that range (unless of course you re seeing weird behavior in your graphs)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This might help some people, I have been experiencing the same issue. If your subwoofer is capable below lets say 20hz then ARC Genesis is botching it's output in those frequencies.
Tried so many subwoofers and settings and figured out the only way to preserve the natural subwoofer response in the infra-sonics is set "Minimum Correction Frequency" to something else higher than the default 15hz.
In my case I set it to 30hz because below 30hz the subwoofer output increases tremendously according to the graph so I tell Anthem to not touch it.

View attachment 349759

This way it corrects/smooths out 30hz and above, and below 30hz I get that natural response so in total it kinda looks like the harman curve starting higher and drops as you go up in hz.

This way I got back the strong sub-sonic impact I was missing with Anthem processors.

*Note: usually the response is smooth below 25-30hz in most rooms so in my opinion there is not an absolute need to EQ that range (unless of course you re seeing weird behavior in your graphs)

Have you updated FW to ver80 yet? If not, try it, you may be nicely surprised.

Descartes

Major Contributor

View attachment 349759

I will try that! It seems my subs have been restricted by ARC Genesis!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any good ARC Genesis tutorials worth watching?
Check audio advice and Audioholics tutorials on YouTube. I find both of them helpful for ARC settings and target curve adjustments.

SeanAtx

View attachment 349759

I’ll have to try this later. My receiver is too old to get the latest firmware and I’m too stingy to upgrade, especially since it works perfectly fine excluding the little dip in the 90hz region.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll have to try this later. My receiver is too old to get the latest firmware and I’m too stingy to upgrade, especially since it works perfectly fine excluding the little dip in the 90hz region.
In my opinion, none of those videos are as good as Anthem's own instruction on their website.

Top Bottom