• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Appropriate crossover frequency with down firing driver in three-way speakers

ppataki

Major Contributor
I would totally avoid such a design but I guess this is highly subjective
I listened to a similar design in Munich at the High End Show a few years ago and it sounded cool but the sound stage is nothing like it shall be
If one likes the sound 'coming from everywhere' then it is OK though

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now have thought back and forth. Conclusion: A stupid or pointless idea. As a pure subwoofer where the cut off frequency is around 80 Hz, it can certainly be a good solution to use the floor for extra bass support BUT in a three-way speaker with bass drivers and then for the bass drivers with a crossover point around 200-500 Hz ....nop .

Of course there will be an extra bass support with down fired bass drivers but it is an increase and thus a decrease of FR in another area. To get around that requires EQ to raise/lower certain areas up to 200-500 Hz. Thus such a construction do not fulfill any function. The advantage of the floor then becomes just an extra thing to tinker with via EQ to tame, so why? Why get extra floor bass support if I still have to EQ down this boost to get a sensible FR?
Am I thinking right now or what do you think?

ppataki

Major Contributor
Now have thought back and forth. Conclusion: A stupid or pointless idea. As a pure subwoofer where the cut off frequency is around 80 Hz, it can certainly be a good solution to use the floor for extra bass support BUT in a three-way speaker with bass drivers and then for the bass drivers with a crossover point around 200-500 Hz ....nop .

Of course there will be an extra bass support with down fired bass drivers but it is an increase and thus a decrease of FR in another area. To get around that requires EQ to raise/lower certain areas up to 200-500 Hz. Thus such a construction do not fulfill any function. The advantage of the floor then becomes just an extra thing to tinker with via EQ to tame, so why? Why get extra floor bass support if I still have to EQ down this boost to get a sensible FR?
Am I thinking right now or what do you think?
It is just my 2 cents but I would drop the idea of a down-firing sub and rather go for a front firing one...
Rather use potent crossover and EQ/DRC to seamlessly integrate the lowest frequencies and to tame the impact of room modes

Top Bottom