• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple updates AirPort Express models to AirPlay 2

quattro98

Forum Donor
This was welcome news (saw it on Tidbits). We have an Airport Express in the bedroom now I wish I had another one.

bakker_be

There's one thing about this whole AirPlay 2 thing that isn't clear to me. All every article talks about is the "end points" supporting it, but will I still be able to stream to an AirPlay 2 device from a source which only talks AirPlay 1? Concrete example: in my wife's beadmaking workshop we still have an iPad 1, running the last iOS available for it (5.5), which obviously doesn't receive Airplay 2, streaming over an Airport Express to the amp powering the in-ceiling 12" Jamo speakers :) If I upgrade the Airport, will this still work?

quattro98

Forum Donor
Should be ok.

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/art...stream-to-airplay-2-speakers-like-the-homepod

There's one thing about this whole AirPlay 2 thing that isn't clear to me. All every article talks about is the "end points" supporting it, but will I still be able to stream to an AirPlay 2 device from a source which only talks AirPlay 1? Concrete example: in my wife's beadmaking workshop we still have an iPad 1, running the last iOS available for it (5.5), which obviously doesn't receive Airplay 2, streaming over an Airport Express to the amp powering the in-ceiling 12" Jamo speakers :) If I upgrade the Airport, will this still work?

Top Bottom