• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone heard any higher end PMC monitors like the twotwo.6?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
From the Benchmark aticle:
The 25 Hz bass extension is impressive when playing tracks with deep bass.
Which is quite humurous considering there was hardly any level at 40 Hz in nearfield of the woofer. Measured both speakers in nearfield at various positions.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Marketing puff, PMC lend the speakers Benchmark are hardly likely to say they are poor.
Keith
I've attended many of these NY AES events (probably even this one) and anyone's ability to appreciate (or depreciate) the sound quality under the conditions of an open booth on the noisy and bustling convention hall floor is minimal.
"I am very impressed with the clarity and accuracy of these outstanding professional monitors."
Yeah, sure. Why not?

Ambientwks

I recently heard the PMC studio 6 and studio 8s (with and without sub) next to a pair of MB3A's, and they were - well, decent! Loads of detail, reasonably fast bass, and can imagine lots being happy with them as tracking or mixing monitors. I felt the image was a hair shallow and they didn't have as much front/back separation as I'd like, but if they were in a studio, I wouldn't complain about using them! :)

Larry B. Larabee

The older pmc speakers like the LB1, FB1 and DB1 were all very accurate, neutral speakers with life like low frquency response an octave lower than similar sized competitors. Easy to drive but, very needy when it came to amp power to sound their best. Since Peter Thomas has left us who knows what the company's priorities are. The LB1, especially was the most accurate monitor ever made. Unfortunately, the limited dynamic range available ( in spite of pmc's claimed maximum output of 114db) made them hard to like in the long run. Always smooth as silk and always something missing at the same time.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The older pmc speakers like the LB1, FB1 and DB1 were all very accurate, neutral speakers with life like low frquency response an octave lower than similar sized competitors.
PMC DB1(S-A II) was measured by Sound & Recording in 2010 and it was neither neutral nor going deeper in bass than other similar sized monitors.

Last edited:

Larry B. Larabee

PMC DB1(S-A II) was measured by Sound & Recording in 2010 and it was neither neutral nor going deeper in bass than other similar sized monitors.
Measurements aside Fremer didn't have any complaints on the Stereophile review. Still, not a choice anyone serious about sound reproduction would ever consider.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements aside Fremer didn't have any complaints on the Stereophile review.
Well if Fremer's audiophool brabling highly regarded subjective opinion is a reference for neutral audio reproduction, by the way all the PMC Stereophile measurements show a different truth.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think it's at all acceptable that a professional company can deliver speakers that performed worse than something that I can DIY.

Larry B. Larabee

Well if Fremer's audiophool brabling highly regarded subjective opinion is a reference for neutral audio reproduction, by the way all the PMC Stereophile measurements show a different truth.
Just saying, he moved his Wilson Audio's out of the way to listen to the pmc's and didn't throw up. BTW, choosing the DB1 was a cheap shot. You can't say the other two mentioned aren't excellent speakers.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Is that available to view sans pay wall?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom