• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone heard Amphion?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s funny, I hadn’t heard of Amphion until after I’d been exposed to all the Buchardt hype. But, in fact, it looks to me like the S400s are in many ways possibly copies of Amphions. There was so much hype around the “revolutionare” big waveguide same diameter as woofer, passive radiators on back etc. In fact, nearly identical monitor was already being offered by someone else all along.

Anyway, I’d like to see a review of some of their symmetrical woofer models rather than only 2-way designs before writing them off completely as not as good value as Genelec, Revel, KEF R3.

To be fair, in person, the resemblance isn't that close, what with the buchardt's slanted design and inverted waveguide. More importantly, their directivity performance is nothing alike. Buchardts are better horizontal by a small amount and are definitely flatter overall, but the Amphion's have far better vertical directivity.

OP
R

radio3

To be fair, in person, the resemblance isn't that close, what with the buchardt's slanted design and inverted waveguide. More importantly, their directivity performance is nothing alike. Buchardts are better horizontal by a small amount and are definitely flatter overall, but the Amphion's have far better vertical directivity.

Have you seen tests of any of their symmetrical woofer designs? I would think they would have better off axis performance than the single woofer designs.

Jukka

I have a pair from their home range. A little lacking in bass, but I found a remedy:
IMG_20200710_165400~2.jpg

Jukka

What's the model of remedy?
The Amphion is Helium3 and the woofer is Arendal Sound 1723 Subwoofer 1 (14" sealed, 500 W).

While there is nothing very wrong in the sound of the Helium3, I'm looking for an upgrade. Commercial offerings, that are remarkably better, are at least $2000.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Arendal Sound
Never heard about that brand. Looks nice.

I'm looking for an upgrade. Commercial offerings, that are remarkably better, are at least $2000
Unless you listen to total crap, any step upper is exponentially expensive.
So, doubling the retail price for getting better passive is ... reasonable.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Hello everybody,

I'm new to ASR and I very much enjoy the amount of information available on this forum. I obviously needed a "recalibration" after making my living as an employee selling hifi equipment for almost a decade until a few years ago.

I own a pair of Argon 3s and I can recommend the review from jhaider at www.hometheatrehifi.com (see above). The strengths and weaknesses of the design are pointed out very well and his measurements resemble my own using REW.

I especially like the wide sweetspot and the fact, that the speakers are not critical when it comes to positioning them. Nevertheless the tweeter can sound stressed from time to time perhaps due to the low crossover point.
Since I use a Volumio based streamer, the next step will be to correct the anomalies in the FR with brutefir. But this will be a project for a long and cold winter weekend and so it will take a little while....;)

@amirm: keep up the good work; donation will be underway soon....

Note: if anyone got the idea, that some of my English is a bit strange to read, this might be due to the fact that I am located in Western Europe and English language is not my mother tongue. In fact I need the help of the Google translator from time to time....

symphara

I recently listened to the Amphion Argon 3LS and I liked them more than the KEF R7.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Update (little bit OT, sorry! ) : after installing brutefir (newest version) on my Volumio Hifi, the system crashed after a few hours of just playing music (I didn't try to measure my Amphions at that point since I was happy, that everything worked at all after the installation). Since Volumio Hifi is only remotable by App or browser and neither could bring it to live again, I reseted the system.
The second try was even worse, since after installing brutefir, the system did not even manage to play music at all.
I did a second reset and decided not to launch a third try.
I am pretty sure that I made a mistake somewhere, but since I own an ADI-2 pro now, I will give the PEQ a chance. And I installed Audirvana on my Laptop as some kind of Backup to Volumio.

symphara

Chiming in on this old thread, for future reference.

Earlier this week I auditioned the Helium 520 and I really liked them. They're not as "dark", and generally more involving compared to the Argon 3LS.

Otherwise the house Amphion sound is there: lush, detailed, relaxing and enjoyable.

Couldn't really fault anything except for deep bass, which isn't there, especially compared to the 3LS. A subwoofer is mandatory, especially for AV, but I'd use one for music too.

hifinutt

Heard a pair of argon one recently and rather liked them. apparently they went down well at the daventry show . Got a pair of 3s standmounts here now playing . using with some very modest arcam amps . pretty good bass for a small standmount , very adequate for an AV system . my chair was shaking with hans zimmer blade runner . detail is superb and sense of presence very very good . normally i use floorstanders about 10 times the size of these but they acquit themselves well. impressive . have had a few standmounts in this room now and these are one of the best .

Grotti

Forum Donor
Heard a pair of argon one recently and rather liked them. apparently they went down well at the daventry show . Got a pair of 3s standmounts here now playing . using with some very modest arcam amps . pretty good bass for a small standmount , very adequate for an AV system . my chair was shaking with hans zimmer blade runner . detail is superb and sense of presence very very good . normally i use floorstanders about 10 times the size of these but they acquit themselves well. impressive . have had a few standmounts in this room now and these are one of the best .
I own a pair of Argon 3s and like them despite of their flaws. But I never experienced chairshaking bass response from the 6.5" woofers even though they are powered by Hypex Ucd 400 equipped amplifier. Please tell me your secret :p

hifinutt

Perhaps not chair shaking but certainly enough to go through floor and worry feel in chair . I am rather surprised. My floorstanders are on track audio stands so I don't get any bass in chair . These argon 3s are on my homemade wooden stands . I will post a pic soon . Still evaluating . Play that hans Zimmer track from blade runner 2049 and let me know

hifinutt

Currently using a humble arcam a85 with the 3s , hope to try some f5 25 watt monoblocks and perhaps some class d monoblocks later

Top Bottom