• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a famous (or infamous) rider who's been posting YT videos for years. He has a ton of followers. A couple years ago he was riding in California he got ahead and stopped in the middle of the road and one of the followers t-boned him, breaking his leg badly and the other guy was criticality injured. On another ride another rider with him couldn't make a curve at very high speed and flew like a bird about 1000 feet. Life-flighted. Very badly injured. MaxWrist is a very talented rider but those trying to follow him aren't always up to the task.
The WORST thing you can do on a bike is ride over your head, especially on the open road. I keep my occasional ambitions to track days, but there's a reason why I went study and didn't become a professional motorcycle racer... :-D

Sadly, I have seen my share of horrible accidents caused by a split second of bad judgement... it's bad enough to deal with inattentive car drivers out there, if you add irrational risk-taking to it... the law of probabilities may not turn out to be gentle long-term...

Be careful out there. Our bikes are intoxicatingly funm but stay in control and don't let the bike's power and performance control you outside a safe track...

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
What/Who/Where are we looking at? Thanks.
It's a picture of a Yamaha Road Star (very similar to mine) on the Dragon, while "draggin'" the floorboards in a turn. No one I knew, just liked the pic, because I liked draggin' the boards myself
100_0393.jpg

Surveyor1953

Wow quite the thread going here.

Have a Road Glide with 110,000 miles and a BMW R1200RT here. I keep a Yamaha FJR at my son-in-laws house for riding in the fall.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After 40 years of not riding last month I bought a Harley Heritage Softtail. It’s been a blast riding again.

Attachments

• D6FD714C-99F1-459E-B1B1-BB6B1FAB1E82.jpeg
    D6FD714C-99F1-459E-B1B1-BB6B1FAB1E82.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 3763F4E5-D371-4010-BFF9-E6EAADAF925C.jpeg
    3763F4E5-D371-4010-BFF9-E6EAADAF925C.jpeg
    524.4 KB · Views: 32

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
2002 Yamaha R1. (Lightened, with touring options)
2009 Triumph Street Triple R. (Lightened. No touring (no pillion pegs.)
2012 BMW F800ST (Lightened. Upgraded suspension. Loud carbon pipe. Belt drive. Yowsa, perfect tourer for me)

Also, 1999 Suzuki GS500E (x2) . Lightened, tuned. Messed with by drunk people... The only ones I can park outside my flat. 12 months a year. Awesome around town tho. Even in the snow. ✌️

Spent several years touring on the R1. You realise pretty soon that the height of the pillion messes with the geometry/COG so much that it is almost futile trying to keep the front wheel down so good on front tyres. Otherwise very fuel efficient, stable and comfortable @80+mph.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A big bagger at what seems maximum lean angle...?
Never understood the big bagger thing.
Yea they're comfortable when going on a 500-1000 mile a day tour but the VAST majority of
miles put on by their owners is done on Sat-Sun bar hopps and poker runs. Otherwise they're slow,
ill handling machines. Both the H-D Ultras and Honda Wings top 900 lbs empty!
I started out in the 60-70s chopper/bobber days when we took old H-D's, stripped everything unnessacary off
them and hot-rodded the engine as best as possible. Performance is motorcycling genre.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Nice one Sal. Love old hot rodded Harleys too. Now people seem to want to add weight.
Don't know if you have seen The Bikeriders, B&W photos by Danny Lyon? Chicago. Very good. Still got to chase up a pal for my copy. Class. Old Indians, Triumphs too. Lightened and tuned for speed. Born Champaign, Illinois myself. Raised/resident in Scotland.
Danny Lyon

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Howsabout glowing headers, sandals/slip ons on an H2R...

Kinda surprised the aluminum head doesn't melt at the exhaust/port interface...

Chr1

Forum Donor
Indeed. But reckon you would barbecue your own right ankle before the alloy, titanium. Looks cool tho.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More owner bike photos, please:
K1200RS.jpg

Was a bit of a lard (~600lbs) but w/140 horsies (@90ft-lbs)
Yellow2008K1200S.jpg

This one was sweet @500lbs w/160HP on tap (130ft-lbs)!
The view of front wheel is intentionally obstructed so that rider don't poop in his pants when he realizes he is clocking 140+MPH!
o_O

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Kinda surprised the aluminum head doesn't melt at the exhaust/port interface...
It'll have some type of damage eventually like burnt/warped exhaust valves or the head itself, etc.
That's just too fricken hot!
Nice one Sal. Love old hot rodded Harleys too. Now people seem to want to add weight.
Don't know if you have seen The Bikeriders, B&W photos by Danny Lyon? Chicago. Very good. Still got to chase up a pal for my copy. Class. Old Indians, Triumphs too. Lightened and tuned for speed. Born Champaign, Illinois myself. Raised/resident in Scotland.
Danny Lyon
Thanks, some sweet b&w old photos.
One of my all time fav rides was my 1966 H-D Shovelhead. Bought used as a stock factory bagger, I removed all the bagger shit and then put it on a major diet. Removed all the electric start stuff including the battery, probably saved -100lb there alone. Ran a magneto ignition and used the generator for lighting. Raked frame 1/2 for high speed stability and used Honda 750 front forks to get the dual disc brakes since H-D didn't have anything like that at the time. I can't remember the name of the custom mag wheels any more. Engine bored and stroked from 74 ci to 98, ported&polished, Leineweber cam, S&S racing carb. A seriously strong runner, I road it around the Chicago and western subs for 20years, a well known scooter back in the day.
1966 Shovel2.jpg

1966 Shovel3.jpg

1966 Shovel6.jpg

Chr1

Forum Donor
SWEEEEEEET!

✌️

Last edited:

Chr1

Forum Donor
PS Much respect but reckon the H2R will last longer than the rider there. As long as the coolant/fan are working.
Kawasaki Racing in the house. I'd love one. The security/locks needed to park up would undermine all the carbon fiber however.
Brief sorties only. WTF.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
More owner bike photos, please:
Don't remember what I've posted already but here's a few more for ya,

My 1949 H-D FL Panhead.
sal1973d.jpg

My 1977 H-D XLCR Cafe Racer.
XLCR.jpg

My 1998 Buell M2 Cyclone
test.jpg

Not mine, but I did have a 1994 Ducati Monster just like this one,
unnamed2.jpg

And of course my 2006 VRod, what an awesome all around motorcycle!
IMG_0591.JPG

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While giant/bloated bikes have never appealed to me, have been using this Surron Light Bee X a lot lately on local forest roads/singletrack, much fun!

Attachments

• Surron builtup.jpg
    Surron builtup.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 32

Chr1

Forum Donor
No disrespect but that is quite a slow motorcycle.
Fun on trails but slow on roads.
My R1 is faster in first gear.

Top Bottom