• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

steve59

Major Contributor
I think this was from my visit to Robbinsville last summer. I didn't get to plan the trip so ended up there when a national car rally was going on. Andrews was the closest hotel I could get, but there's so many amazing roads out there I would ride the tail before the cameras set up and again in the evening while the road was pretty empty and then the rest of the day exploring. It's easy to lose track of what state ones in out there.

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_141109_01.jpg
    IMG_20220630_141109_01.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 39

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If anyone is ever near New Mexico/Arizona, hwy 191 from three way to alpine (would suggest this direction so you are uphill most of the time instead of down hill) is beautiful!

Making the loop in blue then grey is a beautiful day! The grey isn’t as fun, at least not until the bottom half, but some cool sights to stop in with mines and stuff.
2A3982C1-5A1E-4953-8A2A-F82E8063B4C6.png
118BB404-8F86-45F2-98B5-F93E3FF7A2DD.png
064D0765-DBAA-4BD4-B3AC-2CA86F535DEC.png

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Falling is part of 2 wheels. The key is to try not get hurt doing so...

But I have dropped most of my bikes - at very low speeds or when moving them around with the engine off. They are far less nimble and stable at low speeds than when on the move. :p It happens and often there's no damage at all unless you look very, very meticulously.

On trackdays, I have fallen quite a few times at speed. Except for one time, it was always uneventful - scratches on the bike and some soreness (especially as you get older). But once I highsided badly in Laguna Seca and knocked myself absolutely cold after flying off and landing on my back and head.
It's not the speed that kills (when you have some place to slide to).
But when you hit the immovable object, that's a serious issue.
In reference to enclosed vehicles, we used to say that HP is the velocity that you hit the barrier with, toque is how much of the barrier and how far you took it when you hit it.
Yeah, I know that it doesn't really work as an analogy BUT it sounds good.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched a video of a bike driving this road and I don't see anything dangerous as long as you drive safely - that is not too fast in curves you can't see into. But some people are just crazy and spoil it - there is one road in the Black Forest (up to Schauinsland) which was used for races until 1984 and then was closed for motorbikes in summer and on weekends because of too many fatal accidents.
Same probably will happen around my area on the legendary Skyline ride... weekends are a disaster.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Got out riding last two weekends. Bike week started Saturday in Daytona Beach. Stopped by to watch the Freak show yesterday before escaping to less crowded roads. Blue Goldwing in 3rd picture is mine.

B876DD94-AB9B-4C83-8A70-33ADCDD2E5B0.jpeg
320D8E51-3DDC-40ED-A9CA-E2369468636A.jpeg
71C5119A-B7D0-4119-A864-3E612CB85520.jpeg
8EE93FFE-07A1-4CDC-905C-5ACA0C18C24E.jpeg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks warm! Got up to 72 Sunday so went for about a 90 mile ride through the countryside. Lots of trees/limbs/power lines down from the storm Friday-some roads were blocked w/ downed electric lines. Still a great day to ride. A photo at a country store. A truly antique gas pump.
20230305_134231.jpg

20230305_134159.jpg

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Looks warm! Got up to 72 Sunday so went for about a 90 mile ride through the countryside. Lots of trees/limbs/power lines down from the storm Friday-some roads were blocked w/ downed electric lines. Still a great day to ride. A photo at a country store. A truly antique gas pump.View attachment 269967

View attachment 269969
It hit 85 degrees Sunday afternoon, but humidity was low so no problem as long as you kept moving. I see you are from Nashville - I attended the European Riders Rally in Burkesville, Kentucky probably 8 years ago. BMW club of Nashville puts it on and I may be going this year - mid May in a beautiful city park on the Cumberland River. Lots of great riding and the last time every night had lows of 38 degrees. Unfortunately for me I brought my 55 degree sleeping bag. Took me until the third night to finally hit the right combination of clothing to stay warm enough - long johns, jeans, plus aerostitch riding suit…. Still, good times!

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched a video of a bike driving this road and I don't see anything dangerous as long as you drive safely - that is not too fast in curves you can't see into. But some people are just crazy and spoil it - there is one road in the Black Forest (up to Schauinsland) which was used for races until 1984 and then was closed for motorbikes in summer and on weekends because of too many fatal accidents.
I'm guessing that it was not this video then:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor

Interesting video - finally understood the exaggerated bumps were from the camera mount. Somewhat sloppy riding - I lost track of how many times the dude used the oncoming lane to recover. Appropriately named. Check out the "yellow wolf" below. Notice how he picks the perfect line riding the prior generation wing to mine.

Background story of the wolf. https://motonetworks.com/legend-yellow-wolf-fastest-man-deals-gap/amp/

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t find anything ’insane’ about this video. Competent fast riding. Crossing the center line is verboten in our group of riders but his center line infractions were minor and not because he had to but because he chose to. I identify with this level of riding though at 64 I am slowing down every year.
The Yellow Wolf riding the the big touring bike showed impressive skills. No interest in that kind of bike myself though. His riding was precise because it had to be to keep that big pig between the ditches.
The fellows in the ‘Insane’ video were much looser. Looked like they could play with their placement on the road. Much more interesting riding.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t find anything ’insane’ about this video. Competent fast riding. Crossing the center line is verboten in our group of riders but his center line infractions were minor and not because he had to but because he chose to. I identify with this level of riding though at 64 I am slowing down every year.
The Yellow Wolf riding the the big touring bike showed impressive skills. No interest in that kind of bike myself though. His riding was precise because it had to be to keep that big pig between the ditches.
The fellows in the ‘Insane’ video were much looser. Looked like they could play with their placement on the road. Much more interesting riding.
That's a famous (or infamous) rider who's been posting YT videos for years. He has a ton of followers. A couple years ago he was riding in California he got ahead and stopped in the middle of the road and one of the followers t-boned him, breaking his leg badly and the other guy was criticality injured. On another ride another rider with him couldn't make a curve at very high speed and flew like a bird about 1000 feet. Life-flighted. Very badly injured. MaxWrist is a very talented rider but those trying to follow him aren't always up to the task.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
That's a famous (or infamous) rider who's been posting YT videos for years. He has a ton of followers. A couple years ago he was riding in California he got ahead and stopped in the middle of the road and one of the followers t-boned him, breaking his leg badly and the other guy was criticality injured. On another ride another rider with him couldn't make a curve at very high speed and flew like a bird about 1000 feet. Life-flighted. Very badly injured. MaxWrist is a very talented rider but those trying to follow him aren't always up to the task.

Law of averages will eventually catch up with you if you always ride at a level that allows you to visit with your deity of choice - Jesus for example - in the corners. At least on a race track you don't have to be concerned with cops, animals, gravel, other vehicles crossing into your space, etc.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not insane but leaves no safety margin if some car on the other line drives close to the center line. Sooner or later it will happen ...
Yep, he drove like someone who wants get old with his bike. He probably is already ...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Law of averages will eventually catch up with you if you always ride at a level that allows you to visit with your deity of choice - Jesus for example - in the corners. At least on a race track you don't have to be concerned with cops, animals, gravel, other vehicles crossing into your space, etc.
It did-he was riding in the canyons and tried to go around a slower car on the R just when the car swerved R to try to let him by on the L and ran him into the guardrail-broke several bones but he's clearly not deterred. This was a year or two ago I believe. He's fearless but is a very skilled, if risk-taking rider. Apparently he did begin his YT venture on tracks but wasn't getting enough views so took to the streets. The rest is history.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It did-he was riding in the canyons and tried to go around a slower car on the R just when the car swerved R to try to let him by on the L and ran him into the guardrail-broke several bones but he's clearly not deterred. This was a year or two ago I believe. He's fearless but is a very skilled, if risk-taking rider. Apparently he did begin his YT venture on tracks but wasn't getting enough views so took to the streets. The rest is history.
:facepalm:

steve59

Major Contributor
It did-he was riding in the canyons and tried to go around a slower car on the R just when the car swerved R to try to let him by on the L

Likely story, There's a lot of cagers out there that hate being passed.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It did-he was riding in the canyons and tried to go around a slower car on the R just when the car swerved R to try to let him by on the L

Likely story, There's a lot of cagers out there that hate being passed.
You can search for the video on YT. He posts everything, even the bad crashed, for which he's gotten sharp criticism in the past in the comments.

The car was probably going the speed limit, whereas MaxWrist was probably going over double the speed limit. They were passing cars on double yellows in curves-it was insanity.

Top Bottom