• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any good online or app based waveform synthesizers/analysers?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In ongoing discussions about how audio works, I often find myself wanting do demonstrate the relationship between time domain waveforms and the frequency domain of that waveform. I've been trying to find (without much success) a (low cost) app, or online tool to help with this.

Ideally it would allow wavform creation in the time domain, and in the frequency domain (by specifying fundamental, and unlimited harmonics), and allow viewing of that waveform in both time and frequency domain. Icing on the cake would be the ability to play the waveform, and to import a sound recording to view.

Ive found one or two that will allow up to about 10 harmonics to be specified - but none that can create in the time domain, and display in both time and frequency domains.

Is anyone aware of anything that will do this?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In ongoing discussions about how audio works, I often find myself wanting do demonstrate the relationship between time domain waveforms and the frequency domain of that waveform. I've been trying to find (without much success) a (low cost) app, or online tool to help with this.

Ideally it would allow wavform creation in the time domain, and in the frequency domain (by specifying fundamental, and unlimited harmonics), and allow viewing of that waveform in both time and frequency domain. Icing on the cake would be the ability to play the waveform, and to import a sound recording to view.

Ive found one or two that will allow up to about 10 harmonics to be specified - but none that can create in the time domain, and display in both time and frequency domains.

Is anyone aware of anything that will do this?

To some degree, my DISTORT and Multitone apps will do what you are asking. Multitone is more advanced with a custom signal generation and arbitrary nonlinearity construction by defining harmonics and their phases, but DISTORT will also apply the nonlinearity to arbitrary recorded audio files and even play them.

Top Bottom