• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Any Audioengine A5+ competitors?

carewser

I would prefer not. I don't have anywhere to really put one. I wasn't going to say anything because I thought I might upset people too much but the form factor of this thing looks really interesting to me. It's the Jamo S 808 Subwoofer. I haven't looked past the product page yet.

View attachment 151281

Yup, i'm triggered by this Jamo sub, how dare you post that here?!?!

Seriously though, why would anyone get upset? That's a neat looking sub

carewser

Ideally, but not in practice, desktop speakers such as the A5+ will certainly be tuned. They will not be aiming for neutrality. Think who the target audience likely is, neutrality is so far from what those consumers want. I'm speculating, but I don't think it is unreasonable speculation.

According to Audioengine, the A5+ speaker's frequency response is 50hz-22khz+/-1.5db which I didn't even know until after I got home with them I was in such a hurry to buy them and is partly the reason I paid full price for the matching S8 sub because it also claims to be +/-1.5db which is the flattest frequency response i've ever seen not to mention the fact that it goes down to 27hz although i've also heard here that their frequency response isn't that flat which didn't surprise me since they're only $400/pair US

Last edited:

Daemos_x

According to Audioengine, the A5+ speaker's frequency response is 50hz-22khz+/-1.5db which I didn't even know until after I got home with them I was in such a hurry to buy them and is partly the reason I paid full price getting the matching S8 sub because it also claims to be +/-1.5db which is the flattest frequency response i've ever seen not to mention the fact that it goes down to 27hz although i've also heard here that their frequency response isn't that flat which didn't surprise me since they're only $400/pair US

Based on these measurements
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../audioengine-a5-powered-speaker-review.13803/ the A5+ starts rolling off after around the 90-100hz range (assuming I have interpreted the charts correctly)

OP
R

Revolite

Yup, i'm triggered by this Jamo sub, how dare you post that here?!?!

Seriously though, why would anyone get upset? That's a neat looking sub

The slim sub is a really cool form factor that I didn't know existed. But I've never heard them mentioned so I assumed they sound bad and make audiophiles sad. Maybe I should start a slim sub thread?

carewser

The slim sub is a really cool form factor that I didn't know existed. But I've never heard them mentioned so I assumed they sound bad and make audiophiles sad. Maybe I should start a slim sub thread?

Maybe you should because most slim subs i've seen are flat floor standers designed to go under tables/furniture so this ones different from all those with a nifty retro look

A Surfer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, a small speaker desktop speaker will not produce any truly significant lower bass. There is just a hard limit to what a 5" driver in a small cabinet can do so the idea that it has any meaningful bass around 50Hz seems somewhat wishful thinking. You would absolutely need a sub with the A5+. That doesn't mean that without a sub it won't be enjoyable, it will, but for certain lower bass will be lean.

Robert394

I had the A5+, Yamaha HS7, and Adam A7X. The A7X are on another level from the other two. You might want to look at the Hedd Type 05 or Type 07s which should be better than the A7X but comparable price.

Top Bottom