• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any amps that meet this criteria?

nine9one

I'm looking for a power amp that I has the following features and not sure if it exists. I suppose an integrated would be OK, but I'm running a mixer as a pre-amp and don't need any of the additional functionality. If I did go with an integrated then I would like it to have room correction too.

Any recommendations?

• Class D
• runs cool, and safe to house in a cabinet
• Smaller form factor than the standard 17" wide size
• >50 watts, but >100 would be preferable
• subwoofer out
• XLR ins (not essential)
• <$1,000 would be great, but price isn't a huge deal

Appreciate any advice anyone has.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a power amp that I has the following features and not sure if it exists. I suppose an integrated would be OK, but I'm running a mixer as a pre-amp and don't need any of the additional functionality. If I did go with an integrated then I would like it to have room correction too.

Any recommendations?

• Class D
• runs cool, and safe to house in a cabinet
• Smaller form factor than the standard 17" wide size
• >50 watts, but >100 would be preferable
• subwoofer out
• XLR ins (not essential)
• <$1,000 would be great, but price isn't a huge deal

Appreciate any advice anyone has.
I’d take a look at the Sonos Amp. No XLRs though.

OP
N

nine9one

I’d take a look at the Sonos Amp. No XLRs though.
Appreciate your response. XLR is preferable but probably the least important feature I've listed. I've actually been interested in that one, but reading the review here it seemed as if there may be some issue with the analog input. (Although to be very honest with you, it was a little outside the scope of my understanding.) But since the primary way I'd be connecting (I'm not really interested in the wireless aspect) I want to make sure the analog in functions as I'd hope.

DMill

Forum Donor
Appreciate your response. XLR is preferable but probably the least important feature I've listed. I've actually been interested in that one, but reading the review here it seemed as if there may be some issue with the analog input. (Although to be very honest with you, it was a little outside the scope of my understanding.) But since the primary way I'd be connecting (I'm not really interested in the wireless aspect) I want to make sure the analog in functions as I'd hope.
I think Amir did a very thoughtful review, but was a bit tough on this one because Sonos has resources to do much more with this product. I have one that works great but I only use it for TV and streaming. I just looked at Amir’s measurements and the analog in was about 60+ SINAD. It’s analog so imo pretty damn respectable. I dont know your analog source but I’m guessing if you’re spinning vinyl that it’s going to sound transparent. If you want to spend more to get 1% better you can. :)

OP
N

nine9one

I think Amir did a very thoughtful review, but was a bit tough on this one because Sonos has resources to do much more with this product. I have one that works great but I only use it for TV and streaming. I just looked at Amir’s measurements and the analog in was about 60+ SINAD. It’s analog so imo pretty damn respectable. I dont know your analog source but I’m guessing if you’re spinning vinyl that it’s going to sound transparent. If you want to spend more to get 1% better you can. :)
My analog source would be 1/4" out of the mixer to RCAs in the back of the Sonos (hence why I was ideally looking for XLR so I could have gone balanced). I have my TV, an AirPort Express for wireless music, and phono going into the mixer (turntable has a line-level out, but in reality I never use it anyway since streaming became a thing). I like being able to control the individual components' volume at their respective sources, which is part of the reason I'd like to keep this setup rather than running things through an integrated or preamp.

Thanks again for your responses, they're much appreciated.

Jim Creek

OP
N

nine9one

I bought a VTV Purifi Eigentakt Eval 1 for $1K. This is the original configuration of the Bruno Putsey‘s evaluation model. It’s compact, runs cool, sounds transparent. XLR in, SpeakON and banana outputs. I’ve owned it a bit over a month with no issues. I think it may meet your criteria.

Thanks for your suggestion. Does this have a sub out? I'm not seeing one but maybe I'm just unsure of how it would be connected.

Jim Creek

Most subwoofers are powered. So all you would need is a sub-out on your preamp. The Eigentakt has two outputs, SpeakON and banana outputs. If you have a non-powered subwoofer I’m not sure if you can use the SpeakON and banana outputs simultaneously. You can send an email to VTV from theit website and ask.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just looked at Amir’s measurements and the analog in was about 60+ SINAD.
Also, a lot of the noise is >10KHz from the ADC noise shaping. And a rise in low frequency noise too. Isn't that bad between 200Hz and 10KHz. Probably A weighted noise measurement would look a lot better. The bigger issue with the Sonos Amp is the load dependent frequency response.

OP
N

nine9one

Also, a lot of the noise is >10KHz from the ADC noise shaping. And a rise in low frequency noise too. Isn't that bad between 200Hz and 10KHz. Probably A weighted noise measurement would look a lot better. The bigger issue with the Sonos Amp is the load dependent frequency response.
Does this imply that it doesn't pair well with 4 Ohm speakers?

JeremyFife

If you're Sub is Active then you could consider a two box approach:
miniDSP Flex for DSP and active crossover to the Sub and one of these slim format amps

I'm not sure what your Mixer can output, but you could potentially split the outputs and just get two of these amps - one for the Sub, although you don't need that sort of clean power just for the Sub so you could go cheaper and more powerful ...

newaudioguy

These are massive amps, I have the smallest CVR 802 about 1200 x 2 @ 4ohm rms it was $525 shipped.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What sub and mixer do you use? Speakers?

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I'm going to get flack for recommending this, but take a look at the PS Audio Sprout 100. I owned one for a couple of years and it was just fine. (In fact, I still regret selling it, tho I did get a fine price). By all accounts, it has everything you need. Sure, the phono preamp isn't that great, and the DAC isn't world class (understatement), but it works just fine for most folks. It has a small footprint and is very pretty.

OP
N

nine9one

What sub and mixer do you use? Speakers?
I don’t have the speakers or sub yet, but I have a few things in mind. I understand that much better than the amp element. I was close to deciding on a set of 8351s, but decided to explore a non-active route and if I could come up with a setup that would be considerably less expensive. I’ve always used actives which is what my current setup is built around.

Top Bottom