• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

ANIME.. Anyone?

esm

Forum Donor
Just finished watching Boogiepop and Others (2019), and it was fantastic, with a very chill soundtrack. (I ended up blindly ordering the two omnibus releases for the novels based just on the strength of the first season.) Would pair well with Garden of Sinners, similar style of dark out-of-order/layered storytelling. Maybe Serial Experiments Lain, although that's kind of an acid trip of a show, more of an "acquired taste".

Meanwhile I just watched Darling in the Franxx. A much-maligned show.
I have very conflicted feelings about Darling in the Franxx (it's problematic for me on a few levels), but it was really well-executed from the perspective of subverting fanservice+mecha into a serious exploration of a number of social issues.

And yeah, Violet Evergarden absolutely destroyed me on first viewing. FYI: Funimation just announced a US screening of the first movie (I noticed you're from Canada, hopefully by "US" they mean "North American").

bigx5murf

If you liked Darling in the Franxx, Gurran Lagan is a similar one you might enjoy.

Recently I've been watching kengan ashura. It's similar to the Baki remake.

Timbo2

Gurran Lagan just doesn't work for me. It's beloved by many, but it was a slog for me to watch. OTH, I liked Darling in the Franxx. Mecha is just not my genre.

I also enjoyed Violet Evergarden. I've teared up over that work and the studio itself. I believe it was the last thing they released before the killings at the studio.

Tragedy in an Animation Utopia

FLCL is much better. Gurran Lagan falls into many typical anime trappings, fan service, bad writing, etc. I haven't seen Pantyhose and Stocking, haven't seen it mentioned it here either. I heard its pretty good tho.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Don’t think I saw anyone mention Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Great story and characters and felt very complete, good arc.

I’m watching One Punch Man, so far very entertaining

if you have kids:
Voltron
Dragon Prince
Hero Academia