• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

esm

Forum Donor
Just finished watching Boogiepop and Others (2019), and it was fantastic, with a very chill soundtrack. (I ended up blindly ordering the two omnibus releases for the novels based just on the strength of the first season.) Would pair well with Garden of Sinners, similar style of dark out-of-order/layered storytelling. Maybe Serial Experiments Lain, although that's kind of an acid trip of a show, more of an "acquired taste".

Meanwhile I just watched Darling in the Franxx. A much-maligned show.
I have very conflicted feelings about Darling in the Franxx (it's problematic for me on a few levels), but it was really well-executed from the perspective of subverting fanservice+mecha into a serious exploration of a number of social issues.

And yeah, Violet Evergarden absolutely destroyed me on first viewing. FYI: Funimation just announced a US screening of the first movie (I noticed you're from Canada, hopefully by "US" they mean "North American").

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you liked Darling in the Franxx, Gurran Lagan is a similar one you might enjoy.

Recently I've been watching kengan ashura. It's similar to the Baki remake.

Timbo2

Gurran Lagan just doesn't work for me. It's beloved by many, but it was a slog for me to watch. OTH, I liked Darling in the Franxx. Mecha is just not my genre.

I also enjoyed Violet Evergarden. I've teared up over that work and the studio itself. I believe it was the last thing they released before the killings at the studio.

Tragedy in an Animation Utopia

Veri

Master Contributor
Gurran Lagan just doesn't work for me. It's beloved by many, but it was a slog for me to watch.

I tried to watch it several times but yeah, wasn't really my thing either.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
FLCL is much better. Gurran Lagan falls into many typical anime trappings, fan service, bad writing, etc. I haven't seen Pantyhose and Stocking, haven't seen it mentioned it here either. I heard its pretty good tho.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
I liked neither FLCL and Gurren Lagann. I did, however, enjoy Cross Ange.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Don’t think I saw anyone mention Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Great story and characters and felt very complete, good arc.

I’m watching One Punch Man, so far very entertaining

if you have kids:
Voltron
Dragon Prince
Hero Academia

bigx5murf

Me and my wife have been binging on "disastrous life of saiki k" recently. Just as we were thinking this series resembled Gintama, the series does a crossover with Gintama characters! Both are worth checking out if you like slapstick humor.

Gintama is also one of my wife's ATFs, it seems really out there to new viewers. But it's pretty cool how its actually based on historical events from the Meiji restoration, and how other than the main characters, all supporting characters are actually based on real life historical figures.

bigx5murf

Has anyone watched Psycho-pass, Hunter X Hunter?

I'm a fan of both. Cool fact, creator of Hunter x Hunter is married to the creator of sailor moon. As a result, both anime contain Easter eggs of each other hidden within them.

e1274d27c5184d3c55fa10c859f8bd231405453536_full.jpg

A800

Negative.

D

Deleted member 6802

Haven't watched Hunter x Hunter yet, but Psycho-Pass is a big favorite of mine. If you can catch the movie and the three Sinners of the System episodes somewhere ☠️, they're definitely worth a watch.

I saw they got very poor reception on MAL so I am bit hesitant. How would you compare the 3 movies to season 1?

Hunter X Hunter i can highly recommend. Usually i am put off by huge number of episodes but with Hunter X Hunter, you don't feel them. What I mean is that by each episode you want more and more until you released you just watched over 30 episode in one night

esm

Forum Donor
I saw they got very poor reception on MAL so I am bit hesitant. How would you compare the 3 movies to season 1?
Season 1 was pretty unique, and I don't think any of the rest have quite captured what was so good about it. Season two was fine (and by itself I probably would have liked it), but felt like a little bit of a letdown after the first season. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit; takes the main ideas from the series and drops them into a completely different environment.

Of the three Sinners of the System episodes, the first was probably the closest to what you'd expect from the regular series. The second was interesting from a back-story perspective (and narratively similar to the series), but otherwise fairly forgettable. The third was by far my favorite; if you liked Kogami from S01, this is the one you want, and it's probably best thought of as a sequel to the movie. The three episodes are all standalone stories, so you can watch them in whatever order and it won't matter much.

I haven't watched season 3 yet; I should probably get on that at some point, but my queue of stuff to read and watch is really long right now. :p

D

Deleted member 6802

I remember watching the second season and just wondering why is it so bad compare to season 1. Then I went on the Internet and it all became clear. The guy behind season 1 wasn't working on season 2 :( Based on what I saw in season 3 it isn't closer either to season 1. So keep your expectations low :)

Top Bottom