• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An audio engineer explains why Dolby Atmos Music is “definitely going to supersede stereo”

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as what your right ear hears and your left ear hears remains Separate with no cross-talk, you could translate any experience to headphones.

but personal differences are greater in that realm and research is still a bit lacking. Apple is doing great strides to make it mainstream.
I don’t think that is quite true. We “hear” with our bodies as well, so if the sound is only in our ears we lose some information, which is why headphones make things sound like they are in a parameter that is our is about the size of our head. Apple’s work is allowing them to place sound spatially within that space, but it still is not like external sound located in 3D space, in my experience.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think that is quite true. We “hear” with our bodies as well, so if the sound is only in our ears we lose some information, which is why headphones make things sound like they are in a parameter that is our is about the size of our head. Apple’s work is allowing them to place sound spatially within that space, but it still is not like external sound located in 3D space, in my experience.

For it to sound completely the same as 3D Space you have to get your personal HRTF measured. Like I said personal differences are too big for Apple to tune the experience perfectly for everyone.

With the PS5 I can select from 5 different profiles depending on what sounds best to me.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For it to sound completely the same as 3D Space you have to get your personal HRTF measured. Like I said personal differences are too big for Apple to tune the experience perfectly for everyone.

With the PS5 I can select from 5 different profiles depending on what sounds best to me.
I think they will have to get further than just personalized HRTF. I can’t find it now, but I recently saw an article on how information from mechanoreceptors in the chest is used by the brain to help localize sound.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Steve Martin really should have trademarked Googlephonics way back when.
:cool:

mmi

The upcoming Sonos Era 300 seems to be specifically designed for Atmos / Spatial Audio. They are intended for use as Atmos rears with a sound bar in a HT setup, and I would assume as front facing standalone pair for Spatial Audio music. However only info available is leaked, official launch should be within the next few weeks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/11bof72

Top Bottom