• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMPless Headphone recommendations

guy soundy

I am looking for the best kind of headphones that can't be improved by AMPs (as to use for travel an the like).

Preferably I am looking for over-ear with neutral or mostly neutral sound and good or great soundstage.
I have a Sony V6 but I was wondering if I could get something better.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best sounding headphones that don't need an amp I've ever heard are the Audio Technica ADA1000X, especially for female vocals. They're full size though. I travel and use daily the 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 which are really impressive not even considering the price, they sound excellent. If you get the Apple USB to 3.5mm it has really good power and sound, and for $9 it will give a lot of options.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have a Sony V6 but I was wondering if I could get something better.
Probably you can.
The V6 is a decent studio monitoring headphone.

I suggest to audition sensitive headphones suited for travel (so probably closed ones).

Let me suggest the Austrian Audio Hi-X60.
Comfy, closed, very sensitive, neutral sound, excellent bass extension, can take a beating.
Not cheap and seal sensitive though.
A definite improvement over the dated V6 (7506 basically)

Soundstage.... well that is a personal thing (HRTF and brain related) so that there can go many ways for each individual.

OP
G

guy soundy

The best sounding headphones that don't need an amp I've ever heard are the Audio Technica ADA1000X, especially for female vocals. They're full size though. I travel and use daily the 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 which are really impressive not even considering the price, they sound excellent. If you get the Apple USB to 3.5mm it has really good power and sound, and for $9 it will give a lot of options.
I am looking for full sized though, also interesting about female vocals, care to explain?

Probably you can.

I suggest to audition sensitive headphones suited for travel (so probably closed ones).

Comfy, closed, very sensitive, neutral sound, excellent bass extension, can take a beating.

Soundstage.... well that is a personal thing (HRTF and brain related) so that there can go many ways for each individual.
What do you mean with seal sensitive?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can connect it to a phone/DAP/tablet/or other device that has a headphone out and use it even to loud levels without needing an amplifier.
As it is a neutral headphone it will sound good with just about anything.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio Technica is in Japan where they tune for local popular music. The female vocal range sounds great on those, Ellie Goulding, Sia, Cindy Lauper, Stevie Nicks, and especially Amy Lee from Evanescence. They have a bass rolloff so it's not the best for hiphop or EDM, but for everything else it's great. Also you can power them with a flashlight, very easy to drive with onboard sound or a phone.

OP
G

guy soundy

Probably you can.

You can connect it to a phone/DAP/tablet/or other device that has a headphone out and use it even to loud levels without needing an amplifier.
As it is a neutral headphone it will sound good with just about anything.
The Hi-X60 does sound like what I am looking for but is it like how this pic describes in the way of "AMP not needed"?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 41

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what that pic is supposed to provide as info.
Hi-X60 is sensitive, low impedance and can be driven perfectly directly from a phone/tablet/DAC.

Top Bottom