• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amphion One18, PMC Result6 or Focal Shape Twin?

OP
E

EPC

What is the most accurate speaker that has been measured on here?
Genelec 8341?

OP
E

EPC

I actually just filtered though the reviews by score and the top 2 and the Genelecs and the Neumann KH80

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The thing is that the score doesn't account for SPL / distorsion. But in nearfield, the 8341A certainly has no problem with distorsion or SPL (if you have pair, of course).

OP
E

EPC

With these tests, what should I look out for that signifies good transient response?
I’ve heard speakers where the transients are so fast and clicky that it creates this vivid 3D depth, but I’m not sure what causes that in some speakers and not others...

q3cpma

Major Contributor
With these tests, what should I look out for that signifies good transient response?
I’ve heard speakers where the transients are so fast and clicky that it creates this vivid 3D depth, but I’m not sure what causes that in some speakers and not others...
It'd be a spectrogram/CSD and group delay. Some people feel that sealed cabinets also bring a tighter sound.

OP
E

EPC

How would you read such graphs?
What specifically class as good?

OP
E

EPC

As an example, how do these compare?
3746DF0C-1F65-49BE-8916-493C115B2635.png
247792E3-B67E-49AA-95A6-728AB38CEEC0.png

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would you read such graphs?
What specifically class as good?

Overly pronounced transients are generally the result of the treble level being too high and or having some kind of HF resonance. If you want accurate transients, just look for an extended and smooth high frequency, which should not be a problem with good monitors like those from Neumann and Genelec.

I am going to caution you against looking at CSD charts. Your confusion as to what is 'good' stems from the fact that there is no standard for the presentation of these charts. A CSD chart contains no information not contained in a frequency response; the CSD is not useful for determining what you may or may not hear, it is marginally useful to loudspeaker designers trying to suss out the source of resonances in their speakers.

You can set the scaling of a CSD chart to look as good or as bad as you want. Amir's may be consistent, but you can't compare CSD or distortion charts from different sources.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As an example, how do these compare?

The Genelec clearly has more energy storage in the lower midrange, possibly related to unusual woofer arrangement (just speculation), although it would be difficult to put forward an evidence-based argument that this would be audible.

I gave a brief explanation of the psychoacoustics involved in answering questions like this in this post (from about half-way down).

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Genelec clearly has more energy storage in the lower midrange, possibly related to unusual woofer arrangement (just speculation), although it would be difficult to put forward an evidence-based argument that this would be audible.

I gave a brief explanation of the psychoacoustics involved in answering questions like this in this post (from about half-way down).

Important to note that the z scale looks quite different between the two graphs.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeh, @q3cpma pointed that out too. Nevertheless, the differences are real (that's not to say they are audible ofc).

I didn't realize @q3cpma had already pointed it out. I agree it's still there, just not as drastic of a difference as I saw at first glance.

I still don't really understand how The Ones whole bass output and bass directivity thing works, tbh.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't realize @q3cpma had already pointed it out. I agree it's still there, just not as drastic of a difference as I saw at first glance.

I still don't really understand how The Ones whole bass output and bass directivity thing works, tbh.

I'll post later to explain what's going on :) Not actually that complicated, though. Essentially what's going on is that the slot is changing (increasing) the path length differences between the outputs from each woofer relative to the other. This results in greater off-axis cancellation, which when controlled leads to directivity control down to a lower frequency than would be possible if the drivers were radiating directly. But yeh, I'll write a longer explanation when I have some more time...

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Might be the best one for you, as the advantages of the Ones over the KH310A aren't really to be found in nearfield; but only in nearfield.
Erm... I don't think that's entirely what you meant to write...;)

(This has happened to me as well before. Then you go and reread what you've written and you're like :facepalm: ...)

AlexanderM

Erin's review of Focal Twin6 Be he states, "In my humble opinion, I think a couple well-implemented parametric EQ bands would take this from a “great” speaker to a “benchmark” level speaker. If you are on the fence about this speaker, I think it’s definitely worth consideration. Buy it from a reputable dealer with a liberal return policy and give it a shot." I'm putting this here because it makes me question when some say it's a flawed design, meaning all of the speakers of this type. I'm ready to duck.

Top Bottom