• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon HD sound quality?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I am sure this has been addressed elsewhere in ASR since the service debuted, but I can't find the thread to post there, if so. Just had a chance to listen to a variety of pieces I know well on Amazon HD, and immediately noticed a huge boost in the low end. I can't honestly hear any other difference, in terms of detail, instrument realism, etc. I find the boomy low end unpleasant to listen to, so for me the new tier is a step back. Anyone else have thoughts re: sound quality here?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I am sure this has been addressed elsewhere in ASR since the service debuted, but I can't find the thread to post there, if so. Just had a chance to listen to a variety of pieces I know well on Amazon HD, and immediately noticed a huge boost in the low end. I can't honestly hear any other difference, in terms of detail, instrument realism, etc. I find the boomy low end unpleasant to listen to, so for me the new tier is a step back. Anyone else have thoughts re: sound quality here?

How is this even possible? Are you sure you are comparing the same masters or version of songs?

Reactions: trl
OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
How is this even possible? Are you sure you are comparing the same masters or version of songs?

Yes-- same masters of songs I have been listening to on different systems for thirty years. Seems possible that the low-end is not reproduced as well on the original streaming tier, thus the perceived difference. Or that their compression process could be boosting the lows, or they have implemented EQ to the low end to make it sound fuller on phone speakers. Or I suppose I may just have some setting screwed up somewhere.

Thought other folks might have had same experience so it was worth mentioning.

ScofieldKid

In their FAQ, they suggest you click on the badge to see the track details while it is playing.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I do not have the HD version — not yet here in Canada apparently — so can’t check it out myself, sorry. But I use Spotify as well and can’t really tell of any audible difference when playing the same version/master of songs. Streams are all at max quality setting.

From today amazon music hd has also arrived in Italy. I have listened to some tracks of which I also have the original CD and the flac files and I have noticed two things. The volume is at least 6db higher. The bass is pumped. Listened via android app and topping dx3. I selected HD and ultra HD quality

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've had Amazon HD from the start, and honestly I've not noticed any bass boost or anything else bothersome. I've purchased digital downloads from HD Tracks of music I find and like enough to purchase it after streaming on Amazon HD, and the stream and download sound identical.

¥€$

So Youtube's "bass boosted tracks" rumour is true and applies to Amazon HD too?! Sometimes I too noticed that the same re-masters sounded more bassy on Youtube than the lossless file, but I thought that it was an artefact of compression or something.

Last edited:

zelig

Forum Donor
Veering off topic somewhat I'd like to add that I'd love to do this comparison but Amazon haven't made piping their HD music around easy enough. I have an audio system. I have a PC. I have a DAC. I have a smartphone. Somehow I can't put them all together into a coherent musical experience. Maybe it's just me.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did an extended comparison of Amazon HD and Qobuz this past summer (about a month, switching back and forth) and could tell no difference in sound quality between the two. FWIW.

mafelba

I did an extended comparison of Amazon HD and Qobuz this past summer (about a month, switching back and forth) and could tell no difference in sound quality between the two. FWIW.

I did a recent test (switching back and forth) comparing Amazon HD with Apple music and could not hear a difference, fwiw. Doesn't mean there isn't an audible difference, of course, I just couldn't hear one.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Based on the comparative listening I’ve done, there are no significant audible differences between Amazon HD and the other streaming services when comparing the same masters and similar quality settings. I’m wondering if there’s a setting within the Amazon HD app you’re overlooking that’s causing a bass boost.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I've definitely noticed volume differences between streaming services when loudness normalization is turned off for all, usually ranked like this: Tidal > Amazon Music > Spotify, but definitely track-dependent. This might explain the impression of punchier bass.
It's weird that Tidal even seems to hits the red line on some tracks when volume on the MacOS Tidal app is at maximum as seen on the screen on my RME ADI-2 DAC. Example track: Saint Jhn - Roses (Imanbek Remix). It even fooled me in believing the Tidal "Masters" version sounds better than Amazon's "HD" version of the same, while after volume-matching could not hear any difference.

Maybe I'll try to record the same tracks from different streaming services for my own comparisons before my Tidal trial expire. Does anyone have suggestions for good Hi-Res tracks which would be good to compare in ABX?

mafelba

Based on the comparative listening I’ve done, there are no significant audible differences between Amazon HD and the other streaming services when comparing the same masters and similar quality settings. I’m wondering if there’s a setting within the Amazon HD app you’re overlooking that is causing a bass boost.

Maybe you should get better cables?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the comparative listening I’ve done, there are no significant audible differences between Amazon HD and the other streaming services when comparing the same masters and similar quality settings. I’m wondering if there’s a setting within the Amazon HD app you’re overlooking that’s causing a bass boost.

Not that I could find. The Apple Music app, on the other hand, has numerous EQ settings. (The default is no EQ).

Top Bottom