• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I hurting sound quality a lot by placing my speakers like this in the corner ?

Seany

I'm sitting 10-12 feet from this two channel setup by the way. I just don't have a lot of options to put on the another wall. I read the manual for speaker placement and it says not to place like I did. I guess my question ultimately is how much is my sound being hurt by the way I have them setup ? is it just a little where most people wouldn't hear the difference if properly set up ?

Speakers are ELAC DBR62 Debut Reference that are front ported, some say front ported speakers can often be placed closer to the way.

Attachments

• 20230408_143238.jpg
    20230408_143238.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The bigest problem is that you have maybe more bass than you like

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a few years I had MG 1.6 positioned in a diagonal and don't remember any problems with sound quality (in an age before room EQ).

OP
S

Seany

The biggest problem is that you have maybe more bass than you like

I'm not getting that overall impression. They are front ported and was one of the reasons I bought them to be placed close to a wall. I'm assuming a rear ported speaker like the Polk R200 which I was originally interested in might of done worse in my corner setup.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm sitting 10-12 feet from this two channel setup
is it just a little where most people wouldn't hear the difference if properly set up ?
With a set up like that it is almost irrelevant what speaker you have, the sound will be average ( putting it diplomatically) and anyone with ears will ear it that way.
If you want to have an idea of what stereo sounds like, what you speaker can do, use this calculator. just as a test, just temporarily, just to get a grasp of what it could be if placing yourself and your speaker to avoid room destroying your sound and to hear what a stereo mix sounds like. Once you have that reference, then you can decide for yourself how bad your set up in the picture is. The best part is that it is 100% free. You may want to put tape on the floor to mark the spot of everything so you can go back to it.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I'm not getting that overall impression. They are front ported and was one of the reasons I bought them to be placed close to a wall. I'm assuming a rear ported speaker like the Polk R200 which I was originally interested in might of done worse in my corner setup.

I not see why there should be any difference between rear or front ported regarding bass output in that placement. But who cares as long all is fine.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm sitting 10-12 feet from this two channel setup by the way. I just don't have a lot of options to put on the another wall. I read the manual for speaker placement and it says not to place like I did. I guess my question ultimately is how much is my sound being hurt by the way I have them setup ? is it just a little where most people wouldn't hear the difference if properly set up ?

Speakers are ELAC DBR62 Debut Reference that are front ported, some say front ported speakers can often be placed closer to the way.
It's testable, isn't it?
:)

OP
S

Seany

The only way to test it, would be move my set up to a non-corner wall. For example in front of my fireplace. I updated my picture for a bigger view.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I second the "too close together" comment above.
Is it necessarily deleterious to SQ? not likely any more so than many other compromises that many must make in their home environments.

From a critical standpoint, the closeness of the Speakers is likely only really affecting stereo imaging. You may experience other room related effects that might only be identified by measuring your room response with REW and experimenting a little with different placement.
In the end, this is one of those situations that falls under the heading of YMMV, and balancing the needs of your living space with those of your desires for better SQ.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Is that okay if I ask here first what other people's experiences before I move stuff around.

See its all about you. Speakers in corners have more bass. And this depends not on front or rear ported, not even on a closed design. If you like it, its cool.

Placing speakers this way is maybe not the best way, but who cares if you are happy?

OP
S

Seany

See its all about you. Speakers in corners have more bass. And this depends not on front or rear ported, not even on a closed design. If you like it, its cool.

Placing speakers this way is maybe not the best way, but who cares if you are happy?

Just seems like something is off. I have another problem but it's a diff issue then this one.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I calculated:

If I moved my stuff to a corner in the same configuration as it has now, the center of the rack would be 9 feet from the corner.

Fortunately, the present setup is not an issure.

Elkerton

From my experience, there is no doubt that corner placement can provide the best measurable sound. I move small speakers on stands in stereo pairs around a room when I first use it, listening for what is most natural. Usually, there is one position that sounds better. Z-weighted pink noise then confirms what my ears have heard.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Just seems like something is off. I have another problem but it's a diff issue then this one.

So why not tell what the problem is? What do you mean with something is off. How does it sound?

OP
S

Seany

I don't know music seems like it's coming from one speaker instead in stereo. I need to do is move the whole setup on my other wall and have at least five to six feet of separation between the speakers.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Before you go a lot further, just move the speakers forwards a few inches and toe them in slightly. You may have some confusion from the side reflections, which will be different as well because you have quite different surfaces on the two walls.
Try sitting at different distances from the speakers after that and see if you can hear stereo at different distances.

If you are going to move things, try in front of the window, with the curtains covering behind the speakers. I'm a bit concerned about the sloping ceiling, which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet.

Top Bottom