• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All-in-one, or streamer+active monitor?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to upgrade the sound in my kitchen from the Google Nest I have there. There’s room for something like a Sonos or Elac Z3. I use Roon, chromecast, and airplay.

I was thinking, a Wiim+ a single good active monitor might be better than one of these appliances. Have to mix to mono. Thoughts?

Looks-wise, I know what the wife would want.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I want to upgrade the sound in my kitchen from the Google Nest I have there. There’s room for something like a Sonos or Elac Z3. I use Roon, chromecast, and airplay.

I was thinking, a Wiim+ a single good active monitor might be better than one of these appliances. Have to mix to mono. Thoughts?

Looks-wise, I know what the wife would want.
I’d suggest a marriage counselor. ;-). Seriously though the Sonos speakers and also an Apple HomePod provide very good sound and in my opinion look nice. And you don’t need an extra thing sitting on the countertop with them.

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I agree Sonos or Apple Homepod are good choices and might have better sound quality depending on volume. Many of these home speakers boost the bass at lower listening levels and that is often what we prefer as we are not as sensitive to bass at lower volume levels. Monitors are typically about accuracy and not doing any boost based on volume. I am also making the assumption that if you are using a Google Nest now you are not cranking it. If you want to play louder than a bigger monitor with a 5-8" woofer will play louder with less distortion. Also, ease of use goes to Sonos and Apple especially if using voice control. YMMV.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It's a stereo set, but the KEF LSX II are quite nice and pack all the functions you mention (including WAF).

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I got a Sonos. There’s a problem, though. The cat seems to like it a lot, and when he rubs his face on it, he pauses it and/or changes the volume.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
That's something Sonos didn't consider in their design

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, I got a Sonos. There’s a problem, though. The cat seems to like it a lot, and when he rubs his face on it, he pauses it and/or changes the volume.
there are quite a lot of non-toxic cat deterring sprays, you don't have to spray the speaker maybe just a cloth beneath, or maybe he just have a specific taste in music and is trying to tell you something

Top Bottom