• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All About Daft Punk

Alessio ITA

Hello,
I really love the Tron Legacy soundtrack. I noticed some difference listening it (via Tidal HIFI) with my AVR (Marantz SR6012 and Quadral Rhodium speakers) or with my headphone (Sennheiser PXC 550 II). This should be obvious, but I would like to know which one of the 2 is more close to the real sound expected. So question to you is related to song Rinzler (track 7). Listening to it with the headphone, I hear noise/distortion with the main drum/bass that will become heavy starting from min. 1:40. It is too much for myself. I can notice it also with the HiFi but it is not predominant as with the headphone. It seems like the sound with the HiFi is much more equilibrated. What is your listening experience with this specific track?
Thanks,

Alessio

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Impossible to say without measuring the headphones response in the current chain and your hifi in its current set up in your room.

Likewise, my perception of that track is of no use to you unless you know how my set up measures.

I'd hazard a guess the distortion you note on headphones is a product of your component chain up to and including the headphones themselves. If it was present on the recording (same version for both systems) I would have thought it would be more audible on speakers too.

EDIT- for what its worth I have had a listen to that track. Still impossible to say if the distortion you hear is the same as for me, but throughout, and more so from 1:40 there is a heavily distorted instrument/ sound distinct from the drums but still rythmic- my guess would be heavily treated and distorted strings or synths (there are also clear string parts).

Last edited:

Alessio ITA

Impossible to say without measuring the headphones response in the current chain and your hifi in its current set up in your room.

Likewise, my perception of that track is of no use to you unless you know how my set up measures.

I'd hazard a guess the distortion you note on headphones is a product of your component chain up to and including the headphones themselves. If it was present on the recording (same version for both systems) I would have thought it would be more audible on speakers too.

EDIT- for what its worth I have had a listen to that track. Still impossible to say if the distortion you hear is the same as for me, but throughout, and more so from 1:40 there is a heavily distorted instrument/ sound distinct from the drums but still rythmic- my guess would be heavily treated and distorted strings or synths (there are also clear string parts).
Thank you for your reply and comment! Very interesting, also to improve my listening judgment.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your reply and comment! Very interesting, also to improve my listening judgment.

Interestingly, the distorted sounds were more obvious at lower listening- as I turned up it wasnt as prevalent. Perhaps if you listen louder on speakers its less obvious than your HP maybe quieter?

Alessio ITA

Interestingly, the distorted sounds were more obvious at lower listening- as I turned up it wasnt as prevalent. Perhaps if you listen louder on speakers its less obvious than your HP maybe quieter?
You gave me a good hint!
But before saying how I improved the listening experience with the headphone, I would like to comment your post: it is a common behavior human ear to loose the perception of the lower frequencies when volume is lowered down. The loudness control feature was added in several amplifier to correct this perception (see also The Mysterious Loudness Control: What Does It Do?).
So I was thinking to start to play with the EQ for the headphone of the Marantz SR6012. Before do it, I tried to play with volume as you suggested. The Sennheiser PXC 550 II are active HP, so first of all I switched off the automatic volume level control because it was in conflict with the volume regulation of the amplifier. Then I tried different configurations as:
  • volume of the headphone set at medium/low - volume of the amplifier set at medium/high
    • Result: very bad. Complete distortion. Impossible to listen.
  • volume of the headphone set at max - volume of the amplifier set at medium/low
    • Result: very good!
    • The distortion of the Rinzler song decreased and the final effect is now much more in line with what I listened with the tower speakers.
At the end no EQ set was needed and now I enjoy much better my HP.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I might actually have a $1 Chic cd from the bargain bin in 1998, I'll have to look.

I like a catchy tune, whatever the genre. Some have more than others.

But I wasn't a Disco Boy, except maybe one night for a Bowie concert. The audience was all dressed up, but the band mostly wasn't, because the truck with the costumes and sets was stuck in a ditch near Ocala..

Thanks for the Zappa ref. And I can't not think of 'dancin' fool' when I see Frank in proximity to disco :)

eddantes

One of the greatest concert beginnings ever...

When the bass comes in at 3:22 --- mah panties dropped faster than a toupee in a hurricane

Edit

Muse in Wembley in 2007 is my fave opening

When the crowd releases ar 3:11 - brings tears to my eyes....

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i listened to RAM all the way thru and I cant say I 'get' it

like i quite like "get lucky" given its the radio friendly single but the whole thing makes me feel like you have to be "into the whole euro electronica french vibe"

but saying that, i'm also finding it hard to get into Pink Floyd's "The Wall"

I love Dark Side but I think not enough to go thru 'The Wall' non stop

subframe

All about Daft Punk:

Homework was good.

Everything after that is terrible.

:p

Count Dacula

I saw these guys in 1997, it was the most incredible show ever. VIP access was a plus. ;)
daft.jpg
daft2.jpg

I used to love Homework, but now I relisten to it and am not into it. I listen to R-A-M and feel like it's on another level.

Bands should progress and evolve, Daft Punk sure did.

Chr1

Forum Donor
As I am based in Scotland, definitely "Da Funk" for me. Originally released as a 12" single in 1995 on Soma out of Glasgow.
They were pretty much unknown at the time and only a couple of thousand were pressed.

Classic '90s 303 track... Made popular and played in DJ sets mid 90s by the Chemical Brothers.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
As I am based in Scotland, definitely "Da Funk" for me. Originally released as a 12" single in 1995 on Soma out of Glasgow.
They were pretty much unknown at the time and only a couple of thousand were pressed.

Yep, my mate In Glasgow (Robert Mercer, he knows the score lawyer, used to advertise in M8 mag back then) was good mates with Stuart and Orde from Soma and I met Thomas and Guy on a night my mate put on at the Soundhaus, I’ll still have the pics somewhere - those days were brilliant for the techno nights and atmosphere in the city, it really felt alive at the time for music/after parties.

Just received this book from Disco Pogo, a 240 page history of Daft Punk in a very nicely put together hardback book

52943847694_99782704c7_c.jpg

Chr1

Forum Donor
Nice one. Aye, M8, Jockey Slut. Takes me back... Based in Edinburgh myself, so it was generally Pure and Wave at The Venue for me. Seem to remember there were fairly frequent jaunts by folk through to the Soma/Slam nights at the Sub Club tho. Happy days.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Pure was an ace club, the first time I experienced an Andrew Weatherall gig was at pure, not something you ever forget. We organised the dance tents at Wickerman Festival and often had the crew from pure down for the festival which drew a fanatical crowd down from Edinburgh. Not been to a club for 8 years due to spms but I have countless hours of gig and festival digital recordings to listen to, makes up for the loss of being able to “lose my shit” somewhat

Chr1

Forum Donor
Splendid. Was probably there myself as I was at a couple of nights he played at Pure back in the day. A true innovator, and gent who will be sorely missed.
Aye, my clubbing days are long gone too. I am now in my late 50's and also have health issues. Still love the music...just from the comfort of my couch these days.
Loving hearing it on decent gear now, but kind of bummed out by some of the early 90s recorings....eg. Loved EON back in the day, but having revisited it, the sound quality sucks and I can hardly listen to it. 30 years ago I wouldn't have noticed or given a shit!
Daft Punk on the other hand seem to have used decent gear from the off. Kinda prefer their earlier stuff myself. Da Funk in particular (primarily as it's straight outa Paris by way of Glasgow, with mucho TB303.)
Top drawer.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Splendid. Was probably there myself as I was at a couple of nights he played at Pure back in the day. A true innovator, and gent who will be sorely missed.
Aye, my clubbing days are long gone too. I am now in my late 50's and also have health issues. Still love the music...just from the comfort of my couch these days.

Yep, Andrew had time for everyone and without the superstar DJ attitude that was so prevalent back then.
The mind is willing but the body creaks and groans with the mere thought of it these days............Ho-Hum, I figure we got to experience the halcyon days of clubbing before it turned into a money grabbing operation. :D.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Indeed. At risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, I was thinking the same about festivals recently. First went to Glastonbury in 1982 when I was 16. Think it was £12 for the three days. Even if I was healthy I wouldn't go now. Waay to expensive and way too many peeps for my tastes these days. Wish I had made it along early 90s tho. Remember the mutoid waste company playing good tunes (acid, early house etc) there in the late 80s.
Wish I had made it along to the Whickerman at some point. Being an aging punk/raver, it looked like a great fit!
Here's a poster from 83...
IMG_20230602_150444.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom