• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All About Daft Punk

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love Daft Punk, so I'm starting a thread about them. Feel free to post:
  • Favorite Songs/Albums
  • Rare recordings
  • What is the best set up for listening to them?
  • Concert Experience
I was hooked after I listened to Discovery, but I wonder if audiophiles know them better for the Tron Legacy soundtrack:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I love Daft Punk

I bought Random Access Memories, but after sampling some of their other albums, nothing caught my ear.

I can try again.

---

Ok, tried a little, same result.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Once in a while I tune into Technologic.

Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick – rewrite it.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I remember them from the 90s.
"Around the world" I think.
I would use 12 inch PA subs for good punch.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most iconic video clip ever.

Last edited:
OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought Random Access Memories, but after sampling some of their other albums, nothing caught my ear.

I can try again.

---

Let's see if I can help steer you in the right direction:
Homework (1997) - Debut studio album - raw electronic/techno sound which reflected the French House genre. (Around the World/Rollin' & Scratchin')
Discovery (2001)- Synth-pop disco inspired (Disco-Very) album. Some of the tracks use samples from classic disco tracks (Crescendolls/Superheroes/Digital Love/Harder Better Faster Stronger).
Human After All (2005) - More repetitive and minimalistic than Discovery and robot-themed. (Technologic/Robot Rock).
Alive 2007 - This is a live recording of the Alive tour in Paris. They performed inside a massive pyramid lit with LEDs (see my profile pic), which changed colors and formed shapes in sync with the music. Their set is a mash-up of their previous albums.
Tron: Legacy Soundtrack (2010)- linked above
Random Access Memories (2013)- Won Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I bought and played Discovery to death back in the day...nearly 20 years ago. But I was into French house/nu jazz etc back then. Plenty of others did the downbeat deep house style with more of an acid Jazz feel to it - Marc Moulin/Nicola Conte/Trio Electrico/Thievery Corp etc.

Was a tiny bit tempted by Random Access Memories, but nowhere near enough to bother listening to them again.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought and played Discovery to death back in the day...nearly 20 years ago. But I was into French house/nu jazz etc back then. Plenty of others did the downbeat deep house style with more of an acid Jazz feel to it - Marc Moulin/Nicola Conte/Trio Electrico/Thievery Corp etc.

Was a tiny bit tempted by Random Access Memories, but nowhere near enough to bother listening to them again.
Ever watch Interstella 5555? Daft Punk produced an anime musical for Discovery:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

I can try again.

---

I have that album, but don’t particularly think it’s representative of their “best work”.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
  • Favorite Songs/Albums
  • Rare recordings
  • Concert Experience
I was hooked after I listened to Discovery, but I wonder if audiophiles know them better for the Tron Legacy soundtrack:

It’s not on streaming services, unfortunately, but there is a special edition release of the Tron movie soundtrack with five(?) additional tracks.

*Apparently there is another purely remix disc as well, but haven’t listened to that one yet.

Promit

I absolutely adore TRON: Legacy, and IMO Discovery is one of the greatest albums of all time bar none.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
<- outlier again.

IMO Discovery is one of the greatest albums of all time bar none.

I tried, but failed to appreciate it.

I'm sorry.

Exit, stage left...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
<- outlier again.

I'm sorry.

Exit, stage left...
Don't feel alone. I tried and failed as well. Please don't be offended as I am sure I like stuff you wouldn't. Probably my own lack of imagination to see the artistry in it.

I'll give you a chance to diss my musical taste. One of my favorites is this George Winston recording of piano. It isn't for everyone and some have said such music is to die for as in die from as in being so boring death is preferable. I love it. I have to be in the mood for it. But at least a few times every year I clear my plate of any business so I can listen and enjoy it to the full depths of which I am capable. Then I like Philip Glass also.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RAM album is a regular entry in "best audiophile albums" charts. I think it deserves that, I love it. Maybe not all their "old school" fans apreciate it as much as their older works but I'm sure they won some new audience. I like it as a package but specifically the drums (and shift towards real instruments in general).

If I will live to retirement age, I plan to read the whole wiki article about it ;) Here's some other one.

some light bonus :)

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
<- outlier again.

I'm sorry.

Exit, stage left...

The thing I find funny is, I really like Daft Punk... but don't really like Random Access Memories. So, maybe that was just a different album for them. You like that one, which is fine, and some of us like their others, which is fine too.

Objectivist01

• Favorite Songs/Albums
  • Rare recordings
  • Concert Experience

Solar soldier- that low bass rumble. It’s granular on a revealing system and smooth boom on a system with bad low freq resolution. I was surprised to hear it neat on a sennheiser tws Version 1 ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'll give you a chance to diss my musical taste. One of my favorites is this George Winston recording of piano. It isn't for everyone and some have said such music is to die for as in die from as in being so boring death is preferable. I love it. I have to be in the mood for it. But at least a few times every year I clear my plate of any business so I can listen and enjoy it to the full depths of which I am capable. Then I like Philip Glass also.

Autumn, December and Winter into Spring. All Windham Hill staples from the early days of relatively unadulterated stereo acoustic recordings. I think I have pretty much every original early Windham Hill artist and their recordings all carefully collected on original release CD. Not state of the art in terms of noise faults or channel balance, but they can transport you to another place.

My favorite, perhaps is Mark Isham's film music with the love theme from Mrs Soffel. To me, it invokes some incredible mental images of the rainforests and waterfalls where we live.

Top Bottom