• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Easa

Such as? I would prefer AIO solution. Budget is aroud the K9 Pro price.

Easa

Or, I just have an opportunity to buy used, 3 year old, looking like new RME ADI-2 DAC FS for the same money as DX7 Pro new. Would that be a good purchase?

Hxx

I am sort of undecided between DX7 Pro+ and K9 Pro ESS for DT880 Pro (currently) & future LCD-X or TH-900/909. I like the design of FiiO more, also I prefer not to have display, dont care for remote, only sound. What is the local opinion?
I like my k9 pro unit very much but there is a premium to be paid for all the connectivity options. Do u need want all/most inputs outputs the k9 pro has to offer? If you don’t then you can probably get by with a similar powerful and clean or cleaner dac amp for less . For example the smsl m500 III is half the price uses the same chip and received an excellent review here .

There is also the K9 (non pro) that u may want to look into , which costs less

However if cost is not an issue and you are set on k9 pro ess than yes I personally highly recommend it .

usa_satriani

Thanks very much for that comment as I just need usb and maybe asio support, don't know about the smsl.
Has anyone one compared to k5 Pro ess which I own but I can still send back and change without being charged...
As I will be using a Neumann ndh30 which is much appreciated...
Regards Greg

adi518

I don't think I will be buying another Fiio DAC/AMP. My unit is wobbling (posted a video on the previous page) but they only offer to ship it back without reimbursing me for their bullshit quality assurance. it's also running hot even in standby mode, so I have to turn it off every day instead of having it use the USB power sense to do it automatically like Topping does. And the support sucks. You get nearly bot-esque replies from them. This brand is clearly overhyped. They ask for top dollar but they don't deliver basic features, even something as simple as setting the RGB ring to a constant color is not possible.

Last edited:

Mr:River

I don't think I will be buying another Fiio DAC/AMP. My unit is wobbling (posted a video on the previous page) but they only offer to ship it back without reimbursing me for their bullshit quality assurance. it's also running hot even in standby mode, so I have to turn it off every day instead of having it use the USB power sense to do it automatically like Topping does. And the support sucks. You get nearly bot-esque replies from them. This brand is clearly overhyped. They ask for top dollar but they don't deliver basic features, even something as simple as setting the RGB ring to a constant color is not possible.
Did you manage to fix the k9 swing?
Did you check that one of the rubber feet was not uneven/manufacturing defect?
All you had to do was change one of them, the K9 comes with extra feet in the box.

New Fiio K9 AKM

https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/886699.html

8587741.jpg

adi518

Did you manage to fix the k9 swing?
Did you check that one of the rubber feet was not uneven/manufacturing defect?
All you had to do was change one of them, the K9 comes with extra feet in the box.
It wobbles without any feet attached. It's the enclosure. I can work around it, but it absolutely shouldn't happen on such an expensive unit.

It wobbles without any feet attached. It's the enclosure. I can work around it, but it absolutely shouldn't happen on such an expensive unit.
Have you done the test by placing it on top of flat glass, to confirm that it is actually from the device, and not some unevenness in the wood below?
Very strange even for something of high value, but I would try to test it by placing it on top of something really flat like glass on a table, etc., if I believe the device is the solution and only use 3 feet in a triangle.

Top Bottom