• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K702 with Sonarworks - way too much bass

bvdd

Hi all,

I just got the K702's and they sound great out of the box - only light on bass as many reviews say.

When I select their profile in Sonarworks Ref 4, there is so much low end, I question whether the profile is wrong.

The Ref 4 correction looks like it's flattening the curve correctly - at least on the graph.

And Ref 4 does a good job with my ATH-M20X cans - with no obvious extra bass.

I'm willing to be wrong but this much bass with the 702's really seems unnatural.

Anyone else using Sonarworks with K702's and hearing the same thing?

Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @bvdd! Welcome aboard.

The AKG K702 has very high unit-to-unit variation, so it's most likely that your K702 unit just has more bass than the one used to create Sonarworks' preset.

It's just not a good headphone if you're looking to depend on 3rd party measurements for EQ purposes.

OP
B

bvdd

Thanks, static,

Just so I understand, you're saying that the true curve of my 702's may be different than that of the specific cans that Sonarworks used to calibrate with.
And if the true bass drop-off my cans is not as low as the calibration file, then Ref 4 will add more bass than is needed.

So if I'm going to depend on these 702's with Ref 4, I need to adjust (EQ) for that.

Is that right?

Thanks for your time.

(Here's a pic of the Ref 4 curve)
AKG K702 - Ref 4 Curve.png

ReDFoX

If I remember correctly, you can set up maximum amount of overall boost

OP
B

bvdd

Yes, I will be doing some tests using that.

Hoping to find a way to know how close I am to flat. Not sure if there's plugin that would do that.

Thanks.

Top Bottom