• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advices about Digital Input

bartgign

Hello !

I have curently this set up :

Intel NUC (with Daphile) -> Gustard X16 -> Gustard P26 -> DCX 2496 and three power Amp (one Yamaha P7000S, and two Yamaha P2500S -> DIY Speakers.
I think it may be a best solution to use AES input on the DCX 2496.

Which digital board, with an AES out, could be a good solution between the NUC and the DCX ?

Thanks a lot for your advices !

Cédric

TimW

Major Contributor
Hello !

I have curently this set up :

Intel NUC (with Daphile) -> Gustard X16 -> Gustard P26 -> DCX 2496 and three power Amp (one Yamaha P7000S, and two Yamaha P2500S -> DIY Speakers.
I think it may be a best solution to use AES input on the DCX 2496.

Which digital board, with an AES out, could be a good solution between the NUC and the DCX ?

Thanks a lot for your advices !

Cédric
I use a Behringer SRC 2496 to convert from SPDIF to AES. I also have a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI that can do that along with DSP filters and volume control. That's not really what you're looking for though.

For simple USB to AES converters here are a few options:
Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 which isn't cheap but looks well made and designed.
Gustard U16 which matches your X16.
Here's a few more options from Audiophonics.
There's also more pro oriented options from the likes of Yellowtech and others.

OP
B

bartgign

Thanks for your answer. I think a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI could be a good option, i may try it to compare with my actually analog input set up. I need a control volume, its easier for me, with a remote.

May be Mini DSP OPEN DRC-DI will be my choice !

TimW

Major Contributor
Thanks for your answer. I think a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI could be a good option, i may try it to compare with my actually analog input set up. I need a control volume, its easier for me, with a remote.

May be Mini DSP OPEN DRC-DI will be my choice !
Keep in mind that the USB connection is only for changing DSP settings, you will need a SPDIF source for audio.

OP
B

bartgign

I cannot use the USB to link my NUC in the Mini DSP ?

OP
B

bartgign

Thanks. Very good unit this Mini dsp. But very expensive to do this.

I Just need an USB audio In, an AES out, with maximum transparency and a volume contrôle.

Or May be a control volume with the NUC but Daphile cannot. May be another player ? Dont know.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
According to installation instructions,
If you are using an audio device that is connected to speakers without an external amplifier you must turn on the “Settings → Audio Devices → [audio device] → Volume control” setting. With default value “Off – Bitperfect playback” you might even destroy your speakers if there isn't any volume control.

I think this might expand your choices just a bit... someone writes it'll work with a DCX.

BTW, something else I might consider...

OP
B

bartgign

Difficult to find, any another idea, i don't want a DCX modification, and with this SPDIF / AES some coments are bad.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also need a volume control ?

Sorry I missed that you cannot do volume control in the NUC. You could also do a miniDSP 2X4HD and use the I2S outputs in to an I2S to AES board. That would give you volume control in the miniDSP. I am not sure if there are any other cheaper USB to I2S interfaces with volume control.

Michael

Top Bottom