• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a subwoofer to a 2 channel DAC without adding an external crossover

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this a desktop PC? If so why not get a multichannel sound card with bass management? Otherwise a minidsp product would work fine and you wouldn’t need the extra dac .

OP
G

gramp

Is this a desktop PC? If so why not get a multichannel sound card with bass management? Otherwise a minidsp product would work fine and you wouldn’t need the extra dac .

I read many sound card have pretty poor noise and jitter characteristics. Even higher end ones. I don't really trust them.

Also, I'm not a big fan of configuring this stuff on the pc itself unless it's a dedicated media pc. Sometimes I connect my desktop pc to the setup. Othertimes my tablet. Some of my machines also have multiple operating systems.

I like to avoid configuring sound stuff on the computer unless it's specialized setup. Ideally you just plugin a device or stream and your DAC/source has all the management/signal processing built in.

Again for the ideal setup, all roads lead to minidsp shd. If only the shd model also had a good built in headphone amp.. and bluetooth.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Reconsider. There's no reason to use nice equipment badly.
your right and how to define nice equipment ? i think i should also appoint you as ASR 2nd councillor as need good voices

Top Bottom