• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Add Bluetooth to Studio Monitors without quality loss

regan

I want to make my studio monitors (kali lp8v2) be able to play wirelessly from my phone. Without affecting audio quality.

Would adding a wiim mini/pro to the dac do that?
A combo like Topping DO100 (or any other dac idk what to choose) + Wiim would be able to play tidal lossles from my phone?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything that can do Chromecast over Wifi is going to be transparent. I'm currently running some Kali IN-8 v2 monitors from a Chromecast Audio optical output through a MiniDSP to the speakers. Even running directly from the Chromecast Audio there's not a perceivable loss in quality.

I think the Chromecast Audio supports Tidal Connect, not sure if that means lossless or not, but well worth the $100 to me because I use it to group speakers throughout the house.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I want to make my studio monitors (kali lp8v2) be able to play wirelessly from my phone. Without affecting audio quality.

Would adding a wiim mini/pro to the dac do that?
A combo like Topping DO100 (or any other dac idk what to choose) + Wiim would be able to play tidal lossles from my phone?
The data audio stream would be transferred directly between the Wiim and the internet (eg Tidal server) and not between your phone and the Wiii. Your phone “only” tells the Wiiim where to find the audio data but does not stream it. In this case it is lossless. The phone connects via WiFi not Bluetooth.

Contrarily if you connect your phone via eg Airplay or Bluetooth then the data comes from your phone and is not transferred losslessly.

OP
regan

regan

Chromecast Audio optical output through a MiniDSP to the speakers.
What minidsp is it? I've read many posts from people who said using the minidsp (2x4hd or ddrc24) as dac ruins the audio by a lot. What's your experience with it?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What minidsp is it? I've read many posts from people who said using the minidsp (2x4hd or ddrc24) as dac ruins the audio by a lot. What's your experience with it?
As long DAC can retain SINAD at about or over 80 dB for speakers you won't be able to hear the difference. However it's nice to have some headroom (for lossless that may occur on analog connections, digital volume control at that point...) and that it can output proper line out voltage (2/4 V unbalanced/balanced or even more in case of preamps/profesional balanced interfaces). You will be fine with WiiM Mini, probably even when using it's embedded DAC. The good LDAC implementation on high setting (999 KB 96 KHz 24 bit) even not transparent (small lose in really high end of audible frequence spectrum) is not something you will be able to hear difference. But still for stability/range and saving phone battery WiFi streaming (over rooter) is much better option (along with some other things I won't discuss this time around).

audblue

You'll need a network streamer to do that. wiim mini/pro is one - however from what I've read the DAC isn't all that good - but will do the job at a good price.

I have a Bluesound node (N130) connected to Focal Shape 50 actives and an active sub. Bluesound is almost the cost of your speakers (pair).

Love the setup - I can stream from any device (on wifi) or via bluetooth or run a stereo connection directly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom