• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active XO on BiAmp Speakers

JuanjoS

Hi new to this forum, great place to learn :)

My stereo setup consist on a pair of Polk R700 connected to a Buckeye Purify Amp feed through a MiniDSP SHD (with DL). I made an inquiry to Polk support but have not received and answer yet, so I came to your knowledge.

When I remove the binding post bridge to BiAmp them and power the Sub drivers separately from the Mids/Twetters do they still pass though the passive XO ?

My idea is to use the MiniDSP as an active XO for the sub drivers in order to improve time alignment but I guess if they are still passing though the internal XOs these would defeat my purpose.

Thanks in advance :)

OP
J

JuanjoS

Of course.
It is simple:
Binding post 1 > high pass filter > mid/tweeter
Binding post 2 > low pass filter > woofer

Thanks Vincent,

So basically even if the Sub drivers are passing through a LPF I can suppose these are minimal phase and feed through the output of my active XO using something like an allpass just to add delays to time align the speakers ?

Anybody as made something like this with some audible success ?

TIA

Avp1

Hi new to this forum, great place to learn :)

My stereo setup consist on a pair of Polk R700 connected to a Buckeye Purify Amp feed through a MiniDSP SHD (with DL). I made an inquiry to Polk support but have not received and answer yet, so I came to your knowledge.

When I remove the binding post bridge to BiAmp them and power the Sub drivers separately from the Mids/Twetters do they still pass though the passive XO ?

My idea is to use the MiniDSP as an active XO for the sub drivers in order to improve time alignment but I guess if they are still passing though the internal XOs these would defeat my purpose.

Thanks in advance :)
MiniDSP is more about integration between main speakers and separate subwoffers. In that case you can high-pass speakers at 80-100Hz and then low-pass subwoofer channel. I do not recommend to use this schema in bi-amping speakers - you will break factory integration between midrange and bass drivers there.

OP
J

JuanjoS

MiniDSP is more about integration between main speakers and separate subwoffers. In that case you can high-pass speakers at 80-100Hz and then low-pass subwoofer channel. I do not recommend to use this schema in bi-amping speakers - you will break factory integration between midrange and bass drivers there.

Yes I used to use my SHD to feed a pair of R200 + Subwoofer. My idea here is maintining factory XOs frecuency (350 between Subs and Mids) but play with delays on the Subs.

If I understand correctly on biamping the factory crossovers are still in the chain so basically I just can delay the signal for bass without touching frequency and not breaking bass/mid integration, at most a PK filter for my room mode (43Hz).

Thanks

Top Bottom