• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC Review (Headphone)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you use measurements to evaluate equipment because without them you wouldn't have the slightest clue what you prefer if you were to compare two pairs of headphones without them. Let's rid ourselves of the notion that prejudicing our subjective evaluation of these things with measurements before we listen somehow makes us less biased and more "scientific."

Wow a broad assumption for you to make that objectivist and scientific approach is the only thing most of us rely on. Contrary to it, many of us do utilize our subjective ears to make decisions and use the objective measurements to stay away from things that do not conform.

EDIT: I just happen to build a pair of new headphones from OEM parts and i will say they sound a lot better than many of the headphones in my collection. Is that objectively prudent, not really but not everything has to proven to be correct by scientific theory.

nerdoldnerdith

Attachments

• 20210516_143326_resized.jpg
    20210516_143326_resized.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 20210516_143558_resized.jpg
    20210516_143558_resized.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 20210516_143414_resized.jpg
    20210516_143414_resized.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 283

nerdoldnerdith

Here is an interview Erin recently did with Dr. Floyd Toole. It's a great interview, and I suggest everyone listen to it. There are some valuable insights about what makes a loudspeaker sound good. Frequency response plays an important role, obviously, but more important is the kind of role it plays when we listen to a variety of actual music that may not have been recorded or mastered with the best reference-grade equipment. The same applies to headphones, and I would argue that it becomes even more tenuous given how headphones image in such a way that there is no illusion of live sound. I have no way to prove this though.

NDRQ

I heard from somewhere that the company Abyss doesn't care much about objective measurement.

Lol, thats just pathetic. Just imagine an engineer who saying that he dont care with measurements... :D
Then how the hell he start do anything?

They probably saying that, beacuse they cant make a good product.
Just like a 15 years old kid who failed the math exam and then saying he dont care about math at all... :D

Last edited:

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
So Amir, what is your latest opinion on how headphones get great/exaggerated spatial effects like what you experienced with HD800s and 1266TC?
I'm not Amir, obviously, but I'd like to chime in on the 'exaggerated spatial effects' thing. The HD800 drivers are a little in front of the ears and pointed back at an angle. Supposedly this improves 'soundstage'. If they intended to 'exaggerate' soundstage, they didn't do a very good job IME, because I didn't hear much difference in either the 800, or the 555's I owned (which had a similar angled-driver arrangement) compared to other headphones I've heard. Not familiar with these other than they seem aimed at the "The price is the product" crowd.

Last edited:
This discussion is really bizarre. So let me summarize.

1. Amir wrote a fantastic review, which says the ab-1266tc doesn't measure that great (therefore headless panther), but sounds good once eq-ed bringing some unique aspects to the table which can be called "fun sound" (hence the golfing panther)
2. People writing Abyss is a joke because of expensive headphone price, and absurdly highly priced cables
3. Others chime in with repeating point 2. over and over
4. Some owners jump in and say they are very happy with their product
5. Owners are ignored or ridiculed by repeating point 2.

Hm. What about this - Some people love their ab-1266tc because of their bombastic fun sound, which they really enjoy (some more than with the top measuring Utopia) and they are willing to pay the very high price. Others think it is too high which is fair enough. Don't buy cables that expensive if you don't want to.

Peace, guys :).

Last edited:

WickedInsignia

It's a great interview, and I suggest everyone listen to it. There are some valuable insights about what makes a loudspeaker sound good.
I’m not quite sure that you’re aware of who actually peruses this forum.

First thing I would suggest is to read up on Amir’s background. Then, I recommend having a look at who Sean Olive is. Those are the people whose work you’re trying to school.
Hopefully you can understand why many people will take their word and experience over yours. If you had accomplished such a body of study, you’d have similar weight to throw around.

Lastly the Abyss is a bad headphone for the price, plain and simple. I’m sorry that didn’t work out for you.
Come up with something objective? Do your own measurements or conduct a body of study that suggests the Harman Target is ineffective? Otherwise just enjoy your headphones and move on.

nerdoldnerdith

I’m not quite sure that you’re aware of who actually peruses this forum.

First thing I would suggest is to read up on Amir’s background. Then, I recommend having a look at who Sean Olive is. Those are the people whose work you’re trying to school.
Hopefully you can understand why many people will take their word and experience over yours. If you had accomplished such a body of study, you’d have similar weight to throw around.

Lastly the Abyss is a bad headphone for the price, plain and simple. I’m sorry that didn’t work out for you.
Come up with something objective? Do your own measurements or conduct a body of study that suggests the Harman Target is ineffective? Otherwise just enjoy your headphones and move on.

I'm familiar with Amir's background and Sean Olive's work. I know the science. The science doesn't say as much as you think it says.

WickedInsignia

I know the science.
Sure.
Even then myself and most others here are going to go with Amir's conclusions because his assessment is far more comprehensive.
Sorry bud, you just haven't put the work in to prove either of these gentlemen wrong. None of the mental gymnastics and cyclic subjective spat makes for a convincing case.

Walk it off and enjoy some other things this forum has to offer. No-one's here for this type of argument.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Well you can get bombastic fun sound from Beats for a few hundred $ but (as you correctly point out) it's their money.
My tolerance limit for that is probably less time than it takes to unbox these, but again, you pays your money and...

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@nerdoldnerdith Firstly thanks for sharing those pictures, if those really are your speakers I have to say you probably have one of the best collection of equipment on this forum. Congrats on such a killer set of gear. I understand your frustration with some of the membership of these forums. There's a lot of bandwagoning, and dogpiling on things when they get a bad review. It's immature. In the case of Abyss they don't do themselves any favours with their $3000 cables. It's extremely disappointing and annoying when people peddle that nonsense. I myself have personal experience with dealers trying to swindle thousands out of me and contrary to what a lot of people are saying not everyone who may be in the market for these headphones are millionaires with loads of cash to spare. Some of them just really enjoy this hobby and do spend much of their disposable income. If they are new to the hobby they are in danger of being misled. I think a lot of pushback you see in these threads are people reacting to that.

Not everyone on this forum is a boot licking sycophant. I am genuinely glad you enjoy your headphones and I think the fact you own so many great measuring speakers means people ought to take your thoughts a little more seriously and treat you with respect.

Everyone should be treated with respect. Not all products should be treated with respect.

And here is exactly the point - what the hell is SO bad with the ab-1266tc that it warrants this endless shitstorm? ALL people who do this never owned it, most owners are happy, and the ones who sold it where mostly - in my experience - put off by comfort and listening preferences and not the sound.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
manufacturer says quite literally that the headphone is not complete without 3000$ cable that is almost impossible to use. poor voicing and engineering. requirement to fundamentally change the construction of the headphone to listen to different music genres. impossible to figure out how to wear them, and recommendation to wear differently depending on music. incredibly hard to drive. manufacturer cannot take criticism and keeps taking potshots at amir and ASR.

should i go on?

WickedInsignia

I think the fact you own so many great measuring speakers means people ought to take your thoughts a little more seriously and treat you with respect.
Oh for goodness sake :facepalm:.
What makes one respectable is their sound reasoning and reputable demeanor, not some paper receipts. At this point we may as well conclude anyone who owns a Porsche is a world-class auto engineer.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not everyone on this forum is a boot licking sycophant. I am genuinely glad you enjoy your headphones and I think the fact you own so many great measuring speakers means people ought to take your thoughts a little more seriously and treat you with respect.

I don't know if you're genuinely happy for him or being a fan boy for the expensive gear he owns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom