• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A woman with a 1 million dollars system

Galliardist

Major Contributor
For sure, many if not most of us here have been thru that ringer.
Also it's just only human to walk into those rooms with all that overwhelming amount of audio eye candy and not have the brain go "OH WOW", your going to hear what the eye see's and I don't believe many would be immune to the effect.
Last time I walked into a room with "an overwhelming amount of audio eye candy" the result was a smeared, boomy mess. The eyes can't undo everything!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last time I walked into a room with "an overwhelming amount of audio eye candy" the result was a smeared, boomy mess. The eyes can't undo everything!
Maybe that's the way you saw it ? LOL

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Maybe that's the way you saw it ? LOL
It had something like 8 McIntosh blue meters of all sorts of sizes (and a glowing red display on the CD player). I saw it as "bright"....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It had something like 8 McIntosh blue meters of all sorts of sizes (and a glowing red display on the CD player). I saw it as "bright"....
That's why listening tests need to be done blind. :p

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
possible poor speaker placement
Since IME this is pretty well the most important aspect of getting good SQ I can't imagine a competant dealer who actually wanted to sell on SQ grounds getting this part wrong.
OTOH this video clearly shows demonstrations of eye candy and reasuringly expensive baubles in a room far, far too small to listen to Avante Garde Trios in, so clearly SQ is not on of their sales objectives.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the type of person that buys this stuff, it is the price that makes it better.
It satisfies the need to feel successful or projection of high status for the person that has underly low self-esteem or inferiority, or some psydo-internet-pop science that I happily admit I do not understand.
I don't know what the motivation is in this case. If I had silly amounts of money I would probably spend a silly amount of it on equipment.

Waters are muddied here as she is a dealer, and although it is made clear these are her personal systems she will have paid trade price, and so could sell it on for no loss or even still a small profit; she may even have bought it through the business so the resale value is on the books as an asset..

Plus we don't know that she also uses the systems to demo to clients so serves a practical purpose with regards to her business and is not just for personal use.

That would also explain the use of pointlessly expensive cables and racks, the accessories are the sweetest plum in terms of profit margins. We don't know if she really thinks they do anything, If she is selling them she is never going to say they are of no value to the sound and will of course want to show clients that she uses them herself.

You can't blame the salesman (or saleswoman) for selling, they are just doing their job. It's the customer's responsibility to do due diligence before entering the salesroom.

The presenter of the video, on the other hand, seems to take for granted that high price = good sound and the more spent the better the sound gets. The tone of his comments indicates that he assumes his viewers feel the same way i.e there is a lot of 'Look at this lads, don't you wish you could afford it?'

Glen20

I don't know what the motivation is in this case. If I had silly amounts of money I would probably spend a silly amount of it on equipment.

Waters are muddied here as she is a dealer, and although it is made clear these are her personal systems she will have paid trade price, and so could sell it on for no loss or even still a small profit; she may even have bought it through the business so the resale value is on the books as an asset..

Plus we don't know that she also uses the systems to demo to clients so serves a practical purpose with regards to her business and is not just for personal use.

That would also explain the use of pointlessly expensive cables and racks, the accessories are the sweetest plum in terms of profit margins. We don't know if she really thinks they do anything, If she is selling them she is never going to say they are of no value to the sound and will of course want to show clients that she uses them herself.

You can't blame the salesman (or saleswoman) for selling, they are just doing their job. It's the customer's responsibility to do due diligence before entering the salesroom.

The presenter of the video, on the other hand, seems to take for granted that high price = good sound and the more spent the better the sound gets. The tone of his comments indicates that he assumes his viewers feel the same way i.e there is a lot of 'Look at this lads, don't you wish you could afford it?'
I agree .
My comment was in relation to her clients, not her.
I had decided to be brief for once.

Svet Angelov

I get the 'avantgarde' aspect, but jeez these are some ugly speakers. ..Or are the figs sour for those who can't reach them?

nah. still ugly.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree .
My comment was in relation to her clients, not her.
I had decided to be brief for once.
It's an interesting question though, as is the point raised by Svet - 'Are the figs sour for those who can't reach them?'

I suspect most of the people who could afford equipment at this price level made their money by being very good at what they do and don't need to compensate. But no-one can be highly educated about everything so they assume that this is the best, they are told this is the best, they want the best, they can easily afford it, so they buy it.

In most cases no more complicated than that.

I've heard the big Avantgarde speaker systems a couple of times. Being charitable all I can say is they're not for me. They are above my paygrade but that's not why.

I've heard other speaker systems that are also beyond what I could afford but they are very good and I would consider them if I had the cash. TAD for example. I don't think there are many true enthusiasts who will slag off equipment purely because they will never be able to afford it. Although it is an accusation that is often levelled at members of this forum in the drive-by trolling.

Svet Angelov

I guess I just love speakers that look like speakers. Incorporating the look of these horns and that bass module into any type of listening room would be a very daunting task for me, personally.

That and I would bet a month's salary that the JBL DD67000 blow these out of the water. At 1/10th of the cost? Maybe even less.
..now back to eating my sour figs.. :D

Glen20

It's an interesting question though, as is the point raised by Svet - 'Are the figs sour for those who can't reach them?'

I suspect most of the people who could afford equipment at this price level made their money by being very good at what they do and don't need to compensate. But no-one can be highly educated about everything so they assume that this is the best, they are told this is the best, they want the best, they can easily afford it, so they buy it.

In most cases no more complicated than that.

I've heard the big Avantgarde speaker systems a couple of times. Being charitable all I can say is they're not for me. They are above my paygrade but that's not why.

I've heard other speaker systems that are also beyond what I could afford but they are very good and I would consider them if I had the cash. TAD for example. I don't think there are many true enthusiasts who will slag off equipment purely because they will never be able to afford it. Although it is an accusation that is often levelled at members of this forum in the drive-by trolling.
Most people do not need to compensate, but some do. In my year group they became surgeons and have pissing contest with Porsches and watches. , the Radiologist are now richer with $$ and time but go skiing with their families instead. ( My view might be abnormal as the surgeon from our group was the dumbest guy in our class, had failed to get into medicine once already and is extremely materialistic. )

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most people do not need to compensate, but some do. In my year group they became surgeons and have pissing contest with Porsches and watches. , the Radiologist are now richer with $$ and time but go skiing with their families instead. ( My view might be abnormal as the surgeon from our group was the dumbest guy in our class, had failed to get into medicine once already and is extremely materialistic. )
Yes, seen that myself with cars, watches, and yes, hi-fi - but I put it down to 'boys will be boys' added to a general lack of self-awareness, rather than any deep-seated psychological issues.

But maybe I am wrong about that.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Glen20

Yes, seen that myself with cars, watches, and yes, hi-fi - but I put it down to 'boys will be boys' added to a general lack of self-awareness, rather than any deep-seated psychological issues.

But maybe I am wrong about that.
We Are all flawed, some flaws are more financially advantageous than others.

Top Bottom