• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A woman with a 1 million dollars system

Galliardist

Major Contributor
If only I had the money to buy this system... I could afford a proper room for what I have now. I daresay there are a few of us here in that particular boat.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Mind is blown

Hmmm, wonky yellow border on the poster frame, badly dressed dude hamming it up, tacky fonts doing their best to hyperventilate, price cliche in headline ... no, not pressing play on that one.

Well, I'd watch it for a million dollars ... :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hmmm, wonky yellow border on the poster frame, badly dressed dude hamming it up, tacky fonts doing their best to hyperventilate, price cliche in headline ... no, not pressing play on that one.

Well, I'd watch it for a million dollars ... :)
You're missing out ;)

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They used to use pretty ordinary dynamic drivers, ( not compression) in thin ABS horns, margins were good though.
Keith
I have always found these Avantgarde horns to sound very resonant and nasal/coloured. Still, they are able to fill rooms at hifi shows to the brim.
The bass horn is probably of good quality though.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
You're missing out ;)
I have always found these Avantgarde horns to sound very resonant and nasal/coloured. Still, they are able to fill rooms at hifi shows to the brim.

Must say, I do like the horn design, aesthetically (edit: the stacked bass units). I wouldn't say no to hearing them.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I remember the first time I saw them at Munich even the stands were crude square section , the drivers looked very ordinary and the horns are what 3-4mm abs, we used to import the ‘Cessaro’ brand which at least used TAD compression drivers and (initially) turned plywood later fibreglass dual skin horns.
First Munich I attended around 2006 bought this pair back to the U.K.
Keith
IMG_0829.jpeg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bjorn I am ashamed to say I just didn’t know any better, we went over to Frankfurt to hear a turntable and although I didn’t know before we went Thomas the T`T manufacturer knew Ralph ( Cessaro) who had literally just started, they played some very undemanding female vocals and that sounded pretty good .
That’s how our small business started, I quickly became disillusioned though, still have a soft spot for horns, yours look super smart.
A fine measuring horn would be interesting.
Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Angie is a local long time hi-fi dealer in my city. I bought my gradient subs for my Quad ESL 63s from her, and have returned to her store many times
over the years. She's a very gracious and hospitable dealer from my interactions - no pressure, could listen to all sorts of wonderful gear.

Doesn't mean of course I buy in to all the things she believes or sells. But, especially in these times, I'm really glad to have a dealer like her still around, a place where you can go to hear tons of different high end audio gear. Just like the old days....

I'd love to hear that system! Looks like a bunch of fun!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They look pretty cool to me
I agree, but then I've always been a horny guy.
I've heard them a number of times at shows and to my tin ear they always made a good impression.
They may have response irregularities but without measurement gear and under show room conditions who can say anything with anything with certainty. OTOH I know they are very good at revealing inner detail and have insane dynamic power.
None of that justifies the pricing level vs performance against many other much less costly speakers available, they are mainly a statement of the owners wealth.

Yes, seen that myself with cars, watches, and yes, hi-fi - but I put it down to 'boys will be boys' added to a general lack of self-awareness, rather than any deep-seated psychological issues.
The biggest difference I see in cars is that all performance claims are fully and easily verifiable.
There are plenty that flaunt their wealth with a garage full of unobtainium rides.
But when it gets to real ASR type performance claims, all the BS evaporates when the rubber meets the (racetrack, dyno, etc) road. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Angie is a local long time hi-fi dealer in my city.

I'd love to hear that system! Looks like a bunch of fun!
So we delegate you to pay her a visit and do a report. ;)

A fine measuring horn would be interesting.
They're called JBL's. ;)
ea9da8_bbc4ec53f11c4fa5b9fd426843e61fec~mv2.jpg

Or Genelec's, "I know waveguide is the preferred politically correct term.
Genelec-1238CF-1.jpg

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're called JBL's. ;)
The modern horns have good polar patterns, but need plenty of EQ. That's the common tradeoff made these days.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Pfft. Does it beat this?
396643102_1340300460193069_2932207246416885036_n.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That dog lives better than me
And he knows enough to sit in the "sweet spot".

Is that like 2 dozen Mac tube amps surrounding the seats?
Must have a great AC system.
I guess he has little concern for his power bill !!!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's old school thinking. Instead of getting the frequency response and acoustics right besides areas in the speake design, the preamp function as sort of lik an equalizer or adding pleasant harmonic distortion. Something I will debate we seldom need if the response, acoustics and certain speaker attributes hold high quality.

But we need to respect those who choose another road, though it can seem outdated. Great size room to envy.
It's like putting an Escoffier inspired sauce on a piece of spoiled meat.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical rich audio snob.

Lottery wise I would certainly have a avantgarde setup in one of my rooms in my castle / mega beachhouse / penthouse.

Different setups through the building. But I probably would be spending most of my time with my new girlfriends. :D
I'd have a sugar baby in every room rather than a high end speaker system.

Top Bottom