• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A warning. There is a new web article going aroud that is a crock of schmidt.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"I'm a doctor, and I smoke Camel."

Wombat

Master Contributor
I was disappointed when I reached the end of the article because there was nothing to purchase. This was just another info ad, wasn't it?

Academic self-promotion. Keeping one's name 'out-there'.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Academic self-promotion. Keeping one's name 'out-there'.

Right, somewhere he states all this nonsense is in the public domain, no seminars to subscribe to, nothing for sale.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
And doesn't have to be peer-reviewed...

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
And doesn't have to be peer-reviewed...

Oh, I'm sure somebody could peer review it, Don...

IMG_1879.JPG

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
This article has garnered more attention than it deserves.

This indicates the dearth of engaging scientific content on the forum and the amount of populist topic discussion.

Earlier, discussion re posted research papers was common-place. Now it tends to be re ill- considered internet opinions, especially self-interested media presentation jerks.

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
This indicates the dearth of engaging scientific content on the forum and the amount of populist topic discussion.

Earlier discussion re posted research papers was common-place. Now it tends to be re ill- considered internet opinions, especially self-interested media presentation jerks.

Critiquing a bad research paper is as valid as agreeing with a good one.

There is a particular advantage to panning up a crappy paper... it provides a contrary view that the uninitiated may come across on their way to becoming better informed and more critically thinking audiophiles.

Eirikur

Ditto with papers, there is a whole cottage industry of publications and conferences which exist to publish stuff in a world where one of the most important key performance indicators for many academics or those working in research is the number of papers they publish.
Exactly that. I happen to have some experience in publishing and proof-reading papers in two very distinct fields--computing science and medicine--and the mechanics are identical; quantity always tops quality when it comes down to it, e.g. being asked to spread the content over two papers.
Also, don't forget the "conference holidays", we worked hard to get into the Hawaii conference!

Wombat

Master Contributor
The more points one makes in a document/discussion the more each point is diminished.

Make each point a separate discussion item, if possible.

E.g. if a point takes up two pages in a 100 page document it can easily be overlooked or dismissed as not so important.

If you look at the nonsense articles you will find that they tend to jump 'all-over-the-place' looking for some support.

Last edited:
OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The more points one makes in a document/discussion the more each point is diminished.

Make each point a separate discussion item, if possible.

E.g. if a point takes up two pages in a 100 page document it can easily be overlooked or dismissed as not so important.

If you look at the nonsense articles you will find that they tend to jump 'all-over-the-place' looking for some support.

That can render a technical paper useless, if one's point is to combine all of the points into something useful. You'll completely lose the reader by paper #7.

Wombat

Master Contributor
That can render a technical paper useless, if one's point is to combine all of the points into something useful. You'll completely lose the reader by paper #7.

I should have made it clear that this was aimed toward pieces for general consumption or presentations to management rather than structured professional dissertations. :oops:

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I should have made it clear that this was aimed toward pieces for general consumption or presentations to management rather than structured professional dissertations. :oops:

Roger that. I've gotten a series of papers for publication (while I was an AE for TSALP) that was intended to emphasize two parts of a new process as well as the result.

It was a nightmare. Imaging trying to get reviewers (you can't send them all to all 3 reviewers) to converge on this, and imagine the poor AE trying to figure out what the point was.

SheilaHears

A PhD in BioPhysics from Caltech. Maybe you guys need a PhD in BioPhysics to understand?

SheilaHears

Or at least a PhD in fecal matter.....

Cannot criticize a PhD from Caltech in BioPhysics if you do not have his training and education. Maybe you do not understand because you do not have sufficient information?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Cannot criticize a PhD from Caltech in BioPhysics if you do not have his training and education. Maybe you do not understand because you do not have sufficient information?

Is that a joke? If not, you might want to look up the credentials of @j_j and a few others countering the paper...

Top Bottom