• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A warning. There is a new web article going aroud that is a crock of schmidt.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
https://www.fairobserver.com/more/s...ital-audio-science-news-william-softky-39078/

It is an absolute crock of excrement of the worst order, showing that the author does not understand any of the following:

1) Information theorem
2) Nyquist theorem
3) Human hearing

It is, none the less, being promoted as "the TRVTH that science won't admit".

I sent them a complaint letter with my professional creds listed. So far, nothing.

Unfortunately there is no "comments" section to excoriate this pile of composted dung.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another guy who doesn't know the simplest math in the world to figure out timing resolution and 44.1 and instead rattles off lay intuition based on frequency.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Then there is the bit about many people creating music think digital screws it up. Very scientific that is considering that 99.99% of music in the world is created using digital technology.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a sentence in that article which is true? It is almost completely bizzarro world applications of the ideas being knocked about. I don't know who the tech turncoat is, but I'm getting a strong impression from this article just not a positive impression. One of those Orwellian feelings that something named the fair observer is instead its very opposite.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The URL tells you everything you need to know: if they have to proclaim that they're a "fair observer," then usually they're not.

Dant

I read the entire article.

I want my time back, now. It doesn’t matter how “variable” the information sampling of your neurons are, we know that for sound, it doesn’t exceed 20-22khz. The same rules of Shannon-Nyquist matter just as much for the ADC and DAC as it does for your own neurons, and any other wave that may or may not ever exist. No experience can change that.

And then, the reminiscing about the “lifelike” nature of analog telephone...

orangejello

What can one say? Probably best to just ignore, as the ignorance that it promulgate is pretty harmless. There are much more worthy things to save your fury for.

As my vinyl collection and turntable shame me from the opposite wall, I’m mainlining some digital just now - and probably headed for hell.

Zog

https://www.fairobserver.com/more/s...ital-audio-science-news-william-softky-39078/

It is an absolute crock of excrement of the worst order, showing that the author does not understand any of the following:

Unfortunately there is no "comments" section to excoriate this pile of composted dung.

I'm no acoustic engineer but as a trial lawyer I have a sensitive BS meter. This dude certainly talks the talk and that counts for a lot, at least it would in politics. This guy has the lingo!! Sheeze Louise. Others here may well debunk him and I would not be surprised.

gvl

Major Contributor
Does he have a hidden agenda or is he truly confused ?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does he have a hidden agenda or is he truly confused ?
He is just an audiophile who believes in voodoo in audio and likes to say that is due to his understanding of science. Which it is not.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He is just an audiophile who believes in voodoo in audio and likes to say that is due to his understanding of science. Which it is not.
I think you have mis-characterized him. He does believe in some voodoo of course. I don't think it is in audio as much as it is at a deeper level. Quite something to behold really. I think if he did some real science, IE experimentation to confirm or not his ideas he'd learn something. I've a feeling he is more interested in teaching something philosophical without getting his hands dirty.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think you have mis-characterized him. He does believe in some voodoo of course. I don't think it is in audio as much as it is at a deeper level.
Just read this:
1571807027689.png

This is about audio. He starts with a false premise and tries to explain the reasoning using his own training/knowledge. The premise is wrong but is typical of audio subjectivist beliefs that engineers and true fidelity are at war with each other.

Top Bottom