• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A simple question ? from a beginner padawan Audiophile

angelluisg

my system : I have marantz AV 7705 (pre amp)+Monolith 11X (amp) +Klipsch RP280F (only stereo) for music hi res using streaming amazon music HD awesome.. !! I am looking streaming device DAC, what do you recommend ? I tested node 2i bluesound (good streaming but not like it audio, lack ) in Heos(Marantz AV7705) music is awesome 24/96 khz but , I can't use my playlist on amazon music HD.. this is cause for streaming dac..
Do I need external DAc for this new device? and if was like this..DAC Marantz av 7705 inside is better than Schiit modi?
thanks.your opinion is important..

BobPM

I have a Marantz SR7008 for my home theater and run music to it from a node 2 out of the SPDIF connection. My understanding is that the receiver, like many others, converts the analog to digital and back if you are using anything other than the direct mode, and even then I am not sure. If you are using Audessy or other DSP functions, its not clear that having two DA conversions would be helpful.

OP
angelluisg

angelluisg

I have a Marantz SR7008 for my home theater and run music to it from a node 2 out of the SPDIF connection. My understanding is that the receiver, like many others, converts the analog to digital and back if you are using anything other than the direct mode, and even then I am not sure. If you are using Audessy or other DSP functions, its not clear that having two DA conversions would be helpful.
thanks for response .. how about your experience bluesound node2i? what streaming you use it? marantz sr 7008 is amazing AVR do you have another external DAc?

BobPM

I have the node 2 not the 2i, but it has been very robust and easy to use. My primary sources are a NAS, Tidal, Deezer, and Radio Paradise. The bluesound app works great with all of them. I also occasionally use my Roku (TOSLINK) output to an ipurifier and then to the Marantz and access Tidal and Deezer on it. The sound is better through the node 2, but the Roku puts the album art on the TV screen and is handy on occasion.

I tried the node as a DAC, but as noted above, believe the SPDIF to the SR7008 sounds better since it avoids the analog back to digital conversion.

I had a second system with a vintage Yamaha (~1982) integrated that has a turntable connected along with a Dragonfly DAC for streaming from a Samsung phone. The Dragonfly works OK, but not nearly as elegant as the Bluesound set-up. I haven't used Roon, but find the Bluesound streamer to be very easy to use.

Gave the Yamaha to my son, and want to get an NC400/NC500 or Purifi amp as replacement. Also looking at replacing the Dragonfly with a Topping or SMSL DAC that have been reviewed here recently.

BobPM

I would add that I downloaded the Alexa skill to operate the node 2 by voice, but it only works sporadically.

Cugel

my system : I have marantz AV 7705 (pre amp)+Monolith 11X (amp) +Klipsch RP280F (only stereo) for music hi res using streaming amazon music HD awesome.. !! I am looking streaming device DAC, what do you recommend ? I tested node 2i bluesound (good streaming but not like it audio, lack ) in Heos(Marantz AV7705) music is awesome 24/96 khz but , I can't use my playlist on amazon music HD.. this is cause for streaming dac..
Do I need external DAc for this new device? and if was like this..DAC Marantz av 7705 inside is better than Schiit modi?
thanks.your opinion is important..
If you don’t need “hi res” audio then it’s easy and cheap.

Raspberry pi 4
Install Mode audio (or volumio)
Connect to The pi using AirPlay

Works perfectly for me at a cost of $55

this will still work for his res audio but AirPlay down samples to 16/44.1

OP
angelluisg

angelluisg

If you don’t need “hi res” audio then it’s easy and cheap.

Raspberry pi 4
Install Mode audio (or volumio)
Connect to The pi using AirPlay

Works perfectly for me at a cost of $55

this will still work for his res audio but AirPlay down samples to 16/44.1
sorry .. but the DAC marantz Av 7705 is much better manage hi-res 24/192 khz in HEOS my issue is streaming device.. for use my palylist in amazon music HD I thinks Raspberry pi 4 is for system less than I have.now but thanks ..

Top Bottom