• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

50% of vinyl buyers don't own a record player

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Puzzling. Gifts maybe?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
That actually makes some sense if you flip the logic around.... Probably less than 50% of turntable owners buy records! That would include me.

If you own a turntable you know it's the worst format!!! (The worst currently available.) If you don't own a turntable you may not know or you may not care.

My turntable is left-over from the vinyl days and I only use it to occasionally digitize a recording that's not available digitally. I can't remember the last time I "played a record".

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Maybe I can shed some light on this. CD are useless for most people. People stream mostly. If you buy a CD you put it somewhere end of story. Modern PCs don't have optical drives and most people don't own CD players anymore. If you buy files, it's a very disappointing experience: You pay some money, get an email, yet nothing changed. You could stream the songs before anyway.

If you want to support a band, buying vinyl is something where I feel I get my money's worth. It's something nice to look at, they are fairly easy to store because they are so thin, and maybe you can read the lyrics while listening.

Of all the options, if I have to spend money on music, I feel vinyl gives the most bang for the buck.

The thing is today is: People do not buy vinyl as the only format, they buy vinyl because they can stream digitally whenever they want anyway, so the vinyl is a nice additional option.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Well, still if that statistic is true, just another indication of how silly humans can be. Plenty of ways to support bands you like other than buying a $30 slab of something you can't play. I am VERY judicious about the new vinyl I buy, and used LPs too. It comes down to my love of the package and whether I think I will do frequent replayings.

For instance, just bought the new Dark Side of the Moon Wembley 1974 LP for $28 shipped, loved the artwork, it's a good quiet pressing, and was a nice way to "honor" the 50th anniversary rather than buying yet another copy of the original album. Plus, it was an interesting live rendition that's a little edgier than the original. Waiting impatiently for the new Caroline Polachek album to be released in August. I'm not normally into pop but I love her work and it's kind of the perfect length to spin rather than stream.

With a LP library of about 1500 amassed over 50 years ( and similar depth in CDs and cassettes), I'm trying NOT to buy much, just special things.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta be collectors. Some people buy just to have. I'm interested in fountain pens although I've cut down my buying to almost zero. I love to write with them. Some collectors buy them in order to have a complete set of particular models, etc. and never put ink in them.
Sure, people collect all sorts of things. But 50% of sales?

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
If it is the completist mindset then the fact that it is a record is irrelevant. People are buying because they need to have ALL the music formats on offer, whether they possess the capability to play them back or not.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Streaming is like eating fast food. ;)
I must admit, I do it too, but sometimes it should be more festive, for this vinyl records are currently the most beautiful medium for me.

That actually makes some sense if you flip the logic around.... Probably less than 50% of turntable owners buy records! That would include me.

If you own a turntable you know it's the worst format!!! (The worst currently available.) If you don't own a turntable you may not know or you may not care.

My turntable is left-over from the vinyl days and I only use it to occasionally digitize a recording that's not available digitally. I can't remember the last time I "played a record".
My Discwasher is divorcing me!

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, the study is probably flawed, but we shouldn't overlook the large number of LPs that end up just being used as decoration in hipster coffee shops and the like.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Yeah, the study is probably flawed, but we shouldn't overlook the large number of LPs that end up just being used as decoration in hipster coffee shops and the like.
Yes, this is also a big fashion in Germany today. The Jazz Kissas from Japan are the role models. There are worse fashions, I think.

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
The source of the study is mentioned in the article. It comes from Luminate Data , one of the largest data trackers of consumption. I doubt the study is flawed.

FeelinNoPain

I just got back from visiting my daughter and her boyfriend, they are in their late 20s. Three My Chemical Romance LPs proudly displayed on custom shelves mounted on living room wall. They have a novelty record player, all-in-one integrated thingy with a wood ‘50s style box. I’m sure they never use it.

notsodeadlizard

Is that again?
There already was a hundred miles long tread where this egregious fact was used many times:

Yes, real living people (who can't tell the difference between 0.003% THD and 0.0003% THD) buy souvenirs.
They are such nasty, real living people.
:)

Top Bottom