• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.4 Speaker Recommendations: Ascend, JBL, Revel?

OP
S

solrage

Those are bass woofers. It has one 5" midrange.

You're crossing over to 4 subs. The extra bass woofers on the R11 isn't going to do a whole lot for you. They're both ~90dB sensitive towers. My point is you should either be concerned about both or not concerned at all.
Yeah, I caught the mistake in my edit. As I said, I'm not concerned about the midrange, just the bass woofers.

I know I'm crossing over to 4 subs, but the woofers are still going to be playing above that before they cross to the midrange, and it will still be in those high-SPL-demanding bass frequencies. The R11 crosses at 400Hz, which would mean the woofers will be responsible for about 2 octaves of musical material (100-200Hz). I don't know at what point the Ascends cross to the midrange. If it's only 200Hz then that would mean only one octave the bass woofers would be responsible for. This might just be a good question to post on the Ascend forums and maybe dave could chime in with some technical info.

detlev24

Those are bass woofers. It has one 5" midrange.

You're crossing over to 4 subs. The extra bass woofers on the R11 isn't going to do a whole lot for you. [...]
This is not entirely correct, as I already pointed out.

The R11's four 6.5" LF woofers play up to 400 Hz. Not only is this up to the 'Low mid', but it also covers the entire bass range up to ~300 Hz. I'll quote Ethan Winer, previously linked, as I couldn't put it better with my own words:

"[...] subwoofers typically operate only below 80 Hz, while the bass range extends up to 300 Hz. So no matter how many subwoofers you throw at the problem, you'll never improve the "speaking range" of bass instruments where clarity and minimal ringing are most important. [...]"

[...] I don't know at what point the Ascends cross to the midrange. If it's only 200Hz then that would mean only one octave the bass woofers would be responsible for. [...]
In the best case, the two 5.25" LF woofers cover up to ~300 Hz.

But they will never be able to deliver a performance similar to the two or more 6.5" drivers; like on the KEF R Series.

Last edited:
OP
S

solrage

One possibility would be to just run my subs--at least the ones behind the speakers--full range. I know those Rythmiks go up to 200Hz and since they're directly behind the speakers I wouldn't really have to worry about localization of the higher frequencies. That still leaves the mystery of where the Ascends cross to the midrange, but I doubt its woofers would stress much beyond 200Hz. If I did run those subs full range I might think about getting the G25HP just to have more horsepower for the extra octave of bass it would be covering.

detlev24

[...] If I did run those subs full range I might think about getting the G25HP just to have more horsepower for the extra octave of bass it would be covering.
Running the G25HP full range (via its LFE-IN) might probably be the only aspect where a more conventional, front-firing design could be preferred.

Full-range on Rythmik Audio subwoofers means playback even above 200 Hz; a range where directivity becomes noticeable.

In this specific scenario it might neither be ideal to have the opposing drivers face sideways, nor - or maybe even less - to have one driver point to the listener and the other driver away, to a (rear) wall.

OP
S

solrage

^ Interesting. Why do you think the dual-opposed would be an issue running them full-range? I know Rythmik used to make the F25 that had two front-firing 15" drivers, but I don't think they make it any more. TBH, the F18s would probably still be more than enough and this is just me being paranoid again.

The reason I wouldn't worry about directivity is that I would limit the full-range subs to being those behind the speakers, so I'd still essentially be hearing them in stereo from close to the same location as my mains.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Running the G25HP full range (via its LFE-IN) might probably be the only aspect where a more conventional, front-firing design could be preferred.

Full-range on Rythmik Audio subwoofers means playback even above 200 Hz; a range where directivity becomes noticeable.

In this specific scenario it might neither be ideal to have the opposing drivers face sideways, nor - or maybe even less - to have one driver point to the listener and the other driver away, to a (rear) wall.
Just a note, when using LFE-in, the crossover is controlled by the AVR. There is no "full range" setting but there are higher crossover values. I'm not sure I would recommend it due to vocals coming from the subs, but feel free to try it. Even if in line with the speakers, the tonality is different in my experience. In my system it was less clear but try it and see.

Last edited:

Olli

Forum Donor
Maybe the F8s are a better choice for you then:

BD3CFDF4-7C59-4E49-A881-81A9F04B66F5.jpeg

Or why don‘t you get 9 subs: 5 F8s and 4 F18s, + 5 Bookshelfs/Monitors. The F8s make a nice speaker stand :)

98745094-5A97-48FF-8B0E-FF896312D04A.jpeg

detlev24

^ Interesting. Why do you think the dual-opposed would be an issue running them full-range? [...]
Any driver's radiation pattern up to ~100 Hz would be fairly omni-directional, which is why subwoofer orientation doesn't really matter. [Subwoofer placement always does.] Else, e.g., a down-firing design would generally be faulty.

Above ~100 Hz sound power becomes more and more directional, which is why driver orientation starts to matter. You can see this on amirm's L12 measurements. Thankfully, all Rythmik Audio subwoofers do behave similarly on purpose; mainly differing in THD and max. SPL; so this can be used as a guide. // I tried to find some visualized 3D radiation patterns of loudspeakers emitting different frequencies - but I didn't find any satisfactory information on the fly.

[...] There is no "full range" setting but there are higher crossover values. [...]
I was referring to Rythmik Audio's design philosophy.

You can see a clear difference in (available) frequency response when using LINE-IN vs. LFE-IN; which turns out to be alike on all their subwoofer models.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If I went with the JBLs it would probably be 3x HDI-3800s (across the front), and probably two 3600s for surrounds. I'd also insist on at least some 15" Rythmiks, but leaning towards the 18s. I definitely want to save what money I can, but this IS my hedonistic pleasure!
I'm running 4 x HDI 3600s and 1 HDI 4500 center along with 2 older HSU subwoofers. Just going to add I don't believe you'd ever be disappointed in choosing your choice of the HDI line for either music or movies.. Had mine for about 4 months now and they continue to impress me with their ablity to reveal fine detail while at the same time deliver dynamic impact when the source calls for it.
I've considered upgrading my subs sometime in the future but I've been running these HSU for about 5 years now and they've never let me down in my small listening space.
Good luck, Sal

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
^ Interesting. Why do you think the dual-opposed would be an issue running them full-range? I know Rythmik used to make the F25 that had two front-firing 15" drivers, but I don't think they make it any more. TBH, the F18s would probably still be more than enough and this is just me being paranoid again.

The reason I wouldn't worry about directivity is that I would limit the full-range subs to being those behind the speakers, so I'd still essentially be hearing them in stereo from close to the same location as my mains.

Even if localisation isn't a problem, successfully crossing over subs at 200Hz when they are not directly below/beside the speakers is not going to be easy (or a good idea IMHO). The wavelength of 200Hz is only around 170cm, and the crossover won't be a brick wall filter, so the overlap between mains and subs is going to extend to even higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths). So we're talking about short wavelengths in relation to the distances between subs, speakers, and listener, which is going to mean issues with coherent summation of the output from the subs and speakers.

To get an idea of the Sierra's bass capabilities, have a look at the distortion measurements of the Horizon.

OP
S

solrage

Maybe the F8s are a better choice for you then:

Or why don‘t you get 9 subs: 5 F8s and 4 F18s, + 5 Bookshelfs/Monitors. The F8s make a nice speaker stand :)
Short on time right now, but I wanted to ask: how in the world would you manage the crossovers for that? I think even Dirac only allows for 4 subwoofers...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was referring to Rythmik Audio's design philosophy.

You can see a clear difference in (available) frequency response when using LINE-IN vs. LFE-IN; which turns out to be alike on all their subwoofer models.
Right. Line-In has reduced bandwidth compared to LFE in. But there is no way to use the sub full-range unless you feed it an output from a system without a crossover, which no one does. You'd be running your speakers full range, too, which will cause other problems.

detlev24

Short on time right now, but I wanted to ask: how in the world would you manage the crossovers for that? I think even Dirac only allows for 4 subwoofers...
I guess it would be possible with Audiolense XO. (I'm sure @mitchco would know how.)

Maybe treat each "subwoofer stand" with its bookshelf-loudspeaker on top as a single (near) full-range loudspeaker; crossed-over according to the driver(s) arrangement but at a possibly high frequency and of course, properly time-aligned to each other. Have this combination play down to, probably, around 60 Hz or 40 Hz.

Below this, for the last octave or two, do a usual crossover to the remaining "free" subwoofers. + dedicate these also to the LFE-channel.

That's an insane idea - but a fascinating one. :D

Last edited:

Abe_W

Four 18 inch subs make your house rattle to high heaven. A rattling house is just plain unpleasant during a music listening experience.

My room is larger (18ft by 24ft) and two F12G subs have been just fine really. There are differences between theorycrafting and reality.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To get an idea of the Sierra's bass capabilities, have a look at the distortion measurements of the Horizon.
The distortion increase is due to the measurement being taken below the port tuning frequency. The towers were clearly designed to be used with subwoofers. This is not a real problem.

Olli

Forum Donor
I guess it would be possible with Audiolense XO. (I'm sure @mitchco would know how.)

Maybe treat each "subwoofer stand" with its bookshelf-loudspeaker on top as a single (near) full-range loudspeaker; crossed-over according to the driver(s) arrangement but at a possibly high frequency and of course, properly time-aligned to each other. Have this combination play down to, probably, around 60 Hz or 40 Hz.

Below this, for the last octave or two, do a usual crossover to the remaining "free" subwoofers.

Correct, you can do it easily in Audiolense. This how I have set up my stereo preset in Audiolense. Two subs below my main speakers play from 63 - 165 Hz, below that 2 subs behind me take over.

1602167254185.png

In my AVR setup I do this differently (I have created one virtual 4-way sub that is optimised on the parameters gain, peqs and delay with Muti Sub Optimizer) - but you could do the same as in Audiolense with the AVR I use (Trinnov Altitude 16).

I am not familiar with if you can create virtual speakers within Audissey, but I thought that you can with some newer AVRs that use Dirac (JBL SDP-55, Arcam AV40, Bryston SP4).

Another option would be to route the Analogue outs of the Denon to a MCH DAC (i.e. Motu 16), use Audiolense and a computer for the Room correction and crossover design.

If you are not too worried about the DAC performance, there is an application note how to do something similar with Dirac and 2 MiniDSP DDRC88A: https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/A Step-by-Step Guide To Setting Up Dual miniDSP DDRC-88A Units.pdf

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You could assign one output from your crossover to multiple (identical) subs. How you do this will depend on the subwoofers and the set-up, and may require extra hardware (e.g. a distribution amplifier). But one example would be the four identical subs, one in the centre of each wall, all fed the same signal from the same output, via either a daisy-chain or a distribution amplifier. And then the other 5 subs from the other output via the same type of chain.

The distortion increase is due to the measurement being taken below the port tuning frequency. The towers were clearly designed to be used with subwoofers. This is not a real problem.

Yeh, the severe distortion at the SPLs Amir measured at are obviously below the port tuning, but depending on desired SPLs, I don't think looking at the region of the graph I've put a box around is necessarily a waste of time:

1602169416242.png

OP
S

solrage

Any driver's radiation pattern up to ~100 Hz would be fairly omni-directional, which is why subwoofer orientation doesn't really matter. [Subwoofer placement always does.] Else, e.g., a down-firing design would generally be faulty.

Above ~100 Hz sound power becomes more and more directional, which is why driver orientation starts to matter. You can see this on amirm's L12 measurements. Thankfully, all Rythmik Audio subwoofers do behave similarly on purpose; mainly differing in THD and max. SPL; so this can be used as a guide. // I tried to find some visualized 3D radiation patterns of loudspeakers emitting different frequencies - but I didn't find any satisfactory information on the fly.
I knew about subs becoming more directional at higher frequencies, I just wasn't sure why orientation would make a huge difference given that they're still coming from two sources that are probably just inches apart (the two sub drivers, I mean). Seems strange Rythmik would say the subs can work up to 200Hz if they aren't really meant to be used above 100Hz.

Below this, for the last octave or two, do a usual crossover to the remaining "free" subwoofers. + dedicate these also to the LFE-channel.

It is a fascinating idea but seems really complicated.

You could assign one output from your crossover to multiple (identical) subs. How you do this will depend on the subwoofers and the set-up, and may require extra hardware (e.g. a distribution amplifier). But one example would be the four identical subs, one in the centre of each wall, all fed the same signal from the same output, via either a daisy-chain or a distribution amplifier. And then the other 5 subs from the other output via the same type of chain.
The main thing I don't like about that is assigning all my big subs to the same output, which would mean setting the distances/crossovers on the back pairs manually to match the fronts and having Dirac do any bass correction on all of them at once rather than each individually. I doubt I'd go with that option, but if I did I'd probably have to run the speaker outs from my AVR into some kind of DSP device that I could then use to set crossovers and run multiple outs to the subs and to the power amp for the monitors. That would mean I'd need 5 inputs and 10 outputs and probably a lot of learning/trial-and-error on how to operate the DSP. Probably way too much trouble than it's worth, but the idea does intrigue the tinkerer in me.

Yeh, the severe distortion at the SPLs Amir measured at are obviously below the port tuning, but depending on desired SPLs, I don't think looking at the region of the graph I've put a box around is necessarily a waste of time:

View attachment 86784
Yeah, it's that distortion in the 100Hz-200Hz range that bothers me. I know human ears are less sensitive to distortion in the bass, but doing a little research I found THIS, which suggests distortion in that range becomes audible at about 14dB down, which is about 20% IIRC. That measurement at 96dB already shows that area hitting 5% at its highest. If I figure that this is a range that's probably going to contribute a lot the total SPL, it's not hard to imagine it reaching levels well over 100dB with distortion multiplying exponentially.

Even if localisation isn't a problem, successfully crossing over subs at 200Hz when they are not directly below/beside the speakers is not going to be easy (or a good idea IMHO). The wavelength of 200Hz is only around 170cm, and the crossover won't be a brick wall filter, so the overlap between mains and subs is going to extend to even higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths). So we're talking about short wavelengths in relation to the distances between subs, speakers, and listener, which is going to mean issues with coherent summation of the output from the subs and speakers.

Between this and Olli's post I did have another idea: couldn't I use the F18's as a speaker stand for front monitors and run them to 200Hz? I know the common objection to doing this is that speaker location is rarely ideal for subwoofer location, but if I'm going to have 4 subs I could just position the other two subs optimally to help with whatever issues come from running the front two subs underneath the monitors. Besides taking the 5.25" drivers out of the equation, this would have the added benefit of saving me money of only purchasing monitors rather than towers. At that point my issue would be rather the mid/tweeter on, say, the Sierra 2EX is as good as that on the towers, or perhaps whether I should look into other monitors.

I'm running 4 x HDI 3600s and 1 HDI 4500 center along with 2 older HSU subwoofers. Just going to add I don't believe you'd ever be disappointed in choosing your choice of the HDI line for either music or movies.. Had mine for about 4 months now and they continue to impress me with their ablity to reveal fine detail while at the same time deliver dynamic impact when the source calls for it.
I've considered upgrading my subs sometime in the future but I've been running these HSU for about 5 years now and they've never let me down in my small listening space.
Good luck, Sal
Thanks for the mini-review!

Four 18 inch subs make your house rattle to high heaven. A rattling house is just plain unpleasant during a music listening experience.

My room is larger (18ft by 24ft) and two F12G subs have been just fine really. There are differences between theorycrafting and reality.
My old system had a 21" sub. I de-rattled everything in my room and the adjacent rooms when I got it. Only thing that rattles when I put on organ music with huge 16Hz tones is my brain. :)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main thing I don't like about that is assigning all my big subs to the same output, which would mean setting the distances/crossovers on the back pairs manually to match the fronts and having Dirac do any bass correction on all of them at once rather than each individually.
Equalizing the summed response after optimizing delays is the best-practice procedure. There is only one sub channel. Generally a MiniDSP device can round up the subs, from a single output from the AVR.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's that distortion in the 100Hz-200Hz range that bothers me. I know human ears are less sensitive to distortion in the bass, but doing a little research I found THIS, which suggests distortion in that range becomes audible at about 14dB down, which is about 20% IIRC. That measurement at 96dB already shows that area hitting 5% at its highest. If I figure that this is a range that's probably going to contribute a lot the total SPL, it's not hard to imagine it reaching levels well over 100dB with distortion multiplying exponentially.

There are a wide range of varying results from distortion audibility studies, some more rigorous than the one you posted. There are also strong indications that "audible" doesn't necessarily = unpleasant. But yes, it's bet practice to avoid high levels of distortion as much as possible.

Between this and Olli's post I did have another idea: couldn't I use the F18's as a speaker stand for front monitors and run them to 200Hz? I know the common objection to doing this is that speaker location is rarely ideal for subwoofer location, but if I'm going to have 4 subs I could just position the other two subs optimally to help with whatever issues come from running the front two subs underneath the monitors. Besides taking the 5.25" drivers out of the equation, this would have the added benefit of saving me money of only purchasing monitors rather than towers. At that point my issue would be rather the mid/tweeter on, say, the Sierra 2EX is as good as that on the towers, or perhaps whether I should look into other monitors.

It's certainly possible, but keep in mind that the optimal locations for subwoofers to cancel out room moods involves symmetry in placement and output. See a detailed analysis here if you're interested. It all depends how symmetrical your room is in the first place, of course.

Of the speakers you're looking at, the KEF R series appears to offer the best bass/low-midrange distortion for a given form factor, FYI.

Top Bottom