• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.1 system that resembles high end headphones?

Damian

Hi,

I have nice sets of headphones open, closed and back, not Utopia level but Andromedas, 6XX and Audeze. I want to share more music with my better half and we do a lot of series/movies as well. I currently use an LG Soundbar + woofer.

As this is new territory for me, what budget are we talking about to get something nice AV + 5.1 system? Is it recommended to get go the 2.0 system and get something like this to last "forever" https://dubaiaudio.com/shop/focal-chorus-726-3-way-floorstanding-loudspeaker/ ?

There is a used Whaferdale Diamond series 10 where I live at around 1000 USD with an Onkyo receiver, I don't really want to go past the diminishing returns as then is kinda hard to sell and move it to another country if I have to. Seems this whole system when it was new was about 2500 usd.

What is the recommendation? Also is there any trusty source of reviews (I always end up at whathifi)?

Thank you all in advance.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Wharfedale Diamond 10 series are high-quality budget speakers that are likely to sound very good when set up well IMHO. Here and here are some measurements showing that they are well-designed, reasonably neutral speakers.

I can't find any measurements of the Focal 726, but the 706 was measured here and also performs very well, but perhaps not so much better than the Wharfedales as to justify the large price difference, especially not if you want a surround system and buying the Focals would mean settling for stereo.

I would generally avoid reading reviews if I were you :)

Top Bottom