• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

47Hz room mode woes...

nvidia_7

After tinkering around with REW I have found that I have pretty annoying 47.5Hz room mode. This is the FR from KEF LSX ii's and a KEF Kube 10b. Any recommendations? How is the rest of the FR as a whole looking?

Attachments

• 47Hz.png
    47Hz.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 143

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm afraid that your vertical scale is far too large for me to make any meaningful observations. Could you please recapture the screenshot with a 50dB vertical scale and 20Hz to 20KHz horizontal scale?

OP
N

nvidia_7

I'm afraid that your vertical scale is far too large for me to make any meaningful observations. Could you please recapture the screenshot with a 50dB vertical scale and 20Hz to 20KHz horizontal scale?
revised.png

nerdemoji

now thats a very wonky in room response especially with the wavy HF

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you put the mic, and did you measure one speaker at a time or stereo?

But, to answer your original question, that looks awful and you should definitely EQ those peaks out ASAP. The good news is I don't see deep nulls, so you can probably beat this into shape pretty easily.

Hard to say what's going on in the mid/treble until we know more.

It might help if you also posted another measurement without smoothing.

GaryY

Forum Donor
I don't have so much experience, but I have 39Hz peak in my room due to the room length. In my case, this peak is very strong close to front or back wall and disappears near to the center of the room.

OP
N

nvidia_7

Where did you put the mic, and did you measure one speaker at a time or stereo?

But, to answer your original question, that looks awful and you should definitely EQ those peaks out ASAP.

Hard to say what's going on in the mid/treble until we know more.

It might help if you also posted another measurement without smoothing.

This is just the right speaker, mic pointed forward at the listening position (centered and at ear height).

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is just the right speaker, mic pointed forward at the listening position (centered and at ear height).
Got it. I'm assuming you used the proper correction file for that position.

There is nothing super shocking about the bass region, modes happen in every room.

It's hard to guess what happened above 1khz. It's not super common to see such wide dips in that range.

How big is your room and what sort of furniture / walls / wall coverings do you have in there?

OP
N

nvidia_7

Got it. I'm assuming you used the proper correction file for that position.

There is nothing super shocking about the bass region, modes happen in every room.

It's hard to guess what happened above 1khz. It's not super common to see such wide dips in that range.

How big is your room and what sort of furniture / walls / wall coverings do you have in there?

This is a desk setup, so the LSX ii's are placed on a desk against the wall, with 12 feet to the back wall, and 10 feet of space to each side wall. Basically, the desk is placed in the center of a wall that is 25 feet long with the room dimensions being 25x12 feet.

Daverz

Major Contributor
This is a desk setup, so the LSX ii's are placed on a desk against the wall, with 12 feet to the back wall, and 10 feet of space to each side wall. Basically, the desk is placed in the center of a wall that is 25 feet long with the room dimensions being 25x12 feet.

So the 2 kHz dip is probably "desk bounce".

OP
N

nvidia_7

Hmm, now I am concerned. The speakers don't sound at all like the measurements suggest. I am new to REW but I believe I have it set right. I am using the umik-1 with the calibration file from their website for my specific serial number. The speakers are connected through USB, and I have all the settings set to the default settings, with volume set to 75db. I then click measure.

One thing I noticed is that the umik-1 shows 15dB less sound than my stand-alone dB meter. Maybe my mic is defective?

rynberg

Forum Donor
It would be easier to look at if you apply psychoacoustic or 1/6-octave smoothing. Or at least average a few measurements by moving the microphone a few inches around your head position between each measurement.

The room modes are very simple to solve with a single listening position, basic PEQ can completely fix those peaks. Your overall frequency response on the other hand is really rough. Can you move the speakers even a foot away from the wall and raise them off the desk?

OP
N

nvidia_7

So the 2 kHz dip is probably "desk bounce".

I just did a quick search on "desk bounce" and my frequency response above 2Khz looks very similar to other who place speakers right on top of a desk. I will have to do more measurements with them off a desk.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
mic pointed forward at the listening position

That's the wrong orientation for evaluating the room's response. Get a boom stand for the mic. Place the mic in the vertical position—pointed toward the ceiling—at the same position where your head will be at the MLP. Load the 90º .cal file. Make your measurements.

Daverz

Major Contributor
That's the wrong orientation for evaluating the room's response. Get a boom stand for the mic. Place the mic in the vertical position—pointed toward the ceiling—at the same position where your head will be at the MLP. Load the 90º .cal file. Make your measurements.

0 degrees pointed to the midpoint of the speakers is how I've always seen the instructions for measuring stereo speaker response (one speaker at a time, of course). I've only seen the 90 degree orientation in the context of multi-channel systems.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
0 degrees pointed to the midpoint of the speakers is how I've always seen the instructions for measuring stereo speaker response (one speaker at a time, of course). I've only seen the 90 degree orientation in the context of multi-channel systems.

Nope. Eg Neumann MA1, dito Genelec GLM. MIC at 90deg. See also REW instruction. Yes both have their purpose but here I would also measure at 90 deg.

Still doesn’t explain the wavy HF response. My bet. Put the speakers on stands.

Top Bottom