• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

411 regarding UAPP and external dac

dmoss74

Hi,

I tried to search for a thread that answers my exact question, but didn't. Forgive me if I didn't search well enough.

I have an LG G8, which has its own capable dac, but I want to output my Tidal and Qobuz music to my stand alone dacs, before sending them to my amp. One dac has a usb A input, and the other one (Modi) has a micro (?) usb input.

What I'm tryingto avoid is plugging in either of the dacs with a power supply. I'm assuming that if the usb c goes out from the phone to the dacs, that they will power up. Again, I'm assuming. I need the cables to test that.

I further assume that this will drain the phone battery a lot faster, which is fine. I don't listen to music for hours on end. And as mentioned, either dac has a separate way of powering them. I'm just trying to avoid using them.

Will this setup work? I could do a 3.5mm to dual single ended rca to feed the amp from the phone, and use it's internal dac, but I would like to use the other ones. I run UAPP with headphones all the time, and the LG dac is very capable.

thanks for any clarity.

JLGF1

Some DACs are powered by USB. You'll find out when you plug the phone in. Not clear why you want to drain the phone battery when you don't have to?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @dmoss74!

To connect the DACs, you will need a Type-C OTG adapter like this:
51SS3yDht9L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
And then a USB-A to Micro B cable (or whatever your DAC uses).

However, it's very likely that the DACs will trigger your phone's Over Current Protection.

OP
D

dmoss74

Hi @dmoss74!

To connect the DACs, you will need a Type-C OTG adapter like this:
View attachment 307753
And then a USB-A to Micro B cable (or whatever your DAC uses).

However, it's very likely that the DACs will trigger your phone's Over Current Protection.
thanks. but would this work without having to get the otg cable first? these are the two usb types i'd need.

staticV3

Master Contributor
thanks. but would this work without having to get the otg cable first? these are the two usb types i'd need.

The cable says it's OTG, so it should work, as long as your DAC uses a USB 2.0 Type-B port for input (you said Type-A and Micro USB earlier).

OP
D

dmoss74

The cable says it's OTG, so it should work, as long as your DAC uses a USB 2.0 Type-B port for input (you said Type-A and Micro USB earlier).
my bad. the zen has a type B input...not A.

thanks

OP
D

dmoss74

update: I got the proper cable today to hook the lg g8 to the zen v2 via usb before sending it to my amp.

it sounded fine, but i'm not sure it was working like i had imagined. when i send a signal from my laptop to the zen 2 (via usb) the dac will light up purple for mqa. not that i am mentioning mqa other than to point out the dac itself signifies it's decoding it.

with the lg g8 sending the signal to the dac, the color led didn't change at all.

this was running tidal through UAPP app. the status of each track changed in UAPP, but i am not sure this was working.

quite honestly, the built-in quad dac sounds fine from the phone when it is sent via the 3.5mm jack to dual RCA inputs. i may just stay with that. this is all a precursor to getting some form of streamer, either pi4 based, or standalone from a manufacturer. it's just getting old having a laptop on the entertainment center.

thanks for all the replies. i appreciate the input.

Top Bottom